News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 117,159 )

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »
Quote from: Reuschels_Jowls on November 16, 2009, 11:38:03 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 16, 2009, 09:54:24 PM

What INCENTIVE does ND have to join a conference? They don't have to share revenue with anyone, can pick and choose their opponents, and negotiate their own TV contracts.

Plus, they win 6 games, and some bowl will always take them.

Well, pretty much any team that wins 6 games nowadays goes to a bowl game, including those outside of the BCS leagues (NIU went to the Independence Bowl at 6-6 last year).

But you're right about the revenue streams. As long as NBC is willing to re-up the deal to get the ND-Michigan and ND-USC ratings every other year, the "join a conference" stuff is just silly talk. Even when ND sucks, enough ND haters tune in for their weekly schadenfreude that the rest of the deal is worthwhile to the network. (I tune in for Tom Hammond's lip gloss myself).

ND gets 9 mil a year from NBC, while the SEC schools are getting 17 mil per year from ESPN and CBS.  So, wouldn't they be in line to make more if they join a conference like the Big 10?  Big 10 has their own network and adding ND would mean they can also generate more revenue from adding the conference championship game. 

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: November 17, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on November 17, 2009, 12:56:09 PM
ND gets 9 mil a year from NBC, while the SEC schools are getting 17 mil per year from ESPN and CBS.  So, wouldn't they be in line to make more if they join a conference like the Big 10?  Big 10 has their own network and adding ND would mean they can also generate more revenue from adding the conference championship game. 

$9 million to only ND vs. $17 million to 12 schools?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: November 17, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 17, 2009, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: air2300 on November 17, 2009, 12:56:09 PM

$9 million to only ND vs. $17 million to 12 schools?

You honestly think the SEC only gets $17 million total?

I'm not sure exactly what the $17 million number is from, but UF makes about $8 million just
from its local broadcasting rights before it gets its share of the ESPN/ABC+CBS deals which are
worth over $20 million a team.  Those combine football+basketball (and women's sports that
no one cares about other than volleyball) so I'm not sure how to break it down.  A shit ton
more than $9 million anyways.

Big Ten schools get $15 million+ from the Big Ten Network+CBS+ABC/ESPN.

Notre Dame isn't staying out the the Big Ten for money, it's for scheduling control and
probably racism knowing ND.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
I'll keep my ridiculous ND rumors confined to this thread.  You probably knew this one was coming.  Ron Turner to be fired, Weis to O.C. of the Bears.  I'll hang up and wait for your response.
Hire Jim Essian!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: November 17, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 17, 2009, 02:11:46 PM
I'll keep my ridiculous ND rumors confined to this thread.  You probably knew this one was coming.  Ron Turner to be fired, Weis to O.C. of the Bears.  I'll hang up and wait for your response.

I think David Haugh made that one up.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: November 17, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2009, 02:15:24 PM

I think David Haugh made that one up.

Someone on the ND BoD with ties to the Bears apparently suggested it, too.  Someone better start making XXXXXL Ditka sweaters.
Hire Jim Essian!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

The rumor is certainly ridiculous. However, Weis is a classic candidate for good coordinator, lousy head coach.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: November 17, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
Here's some more unfounded rumors.

If athletic director Jack Swarbrick decides Charlie Weis' Notre Dame career is over after his fifth season, a source said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix to replace him. The source said Stoops has told confidants he would be interested in talking to the Irish.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: November 17, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
If athletic director Jack Swarbrick decides Charlie Weis' Notre Dame career is over after his fifth season, a source said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix to replace him. The source said Stoops has told confidants he would be interested in talking to the Irish.

Ferentz is more likely to return to the NFL.  Stoops would be interesting.

If Ferentz went to ND, Stoops could go back home to Iowa.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: November 17, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
I guess it's possible, but Ferentz signed a 7-year deal earlier this year that runs through 2015. He also has repeatedly said that he's happy in Iowa City (although, to be fair, every coach/player says that).

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: November 17, 2009, 03:02:22 PM »

Don't a lot of college coaches get out clauses if certain opportunities, like alma mater, specific schools, or the NFL come up?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: November 17, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 17, 2009, 02:39:13 PM

Yeah, and then Coach K will finally return home and coach DePaul/Loyola/University of Illinois/Northwestern

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 17, 2009, 03:02:22 PM

Don't a lot of college coaches get out clauses if certain opportunities, like alma mater, specific schools, or the NFL come up?

Maybe, but Ferentz has had NFL "opportunities" for the past four years or so. He turned down Michigan a few years back, so he doesn't seem to be after prestigious college jobs. And he went to school at UConn, which kind of sucks at football.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: November 17, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 17, 2009, 02:39:13 PM

The job won't be available for Stoops or Ferentz once Urban Meyer finally takes it.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: November 17, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 17, 2009, 03:09:03 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 17, 2009, 03:02:22 PM

Maybe, but Ferentz has had NFL "opportunities" for the past four years or so. He turned down Michigan a few years back, so he doesn't seem to be after prestigious college jobs. And he went to school at UConn, which kind of sucks at football.

These University of Iowa jokes practically tell themselves.