News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Gangster Squad  ( 901 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Gangster Squad
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
On paper, this film should have been outstanding - Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Giovani Ribisi, Nick Nolte and Emma Stone comprise a good start for whatever film you might be thinking of making, and organised crime and post-war LA should have been a slam dunk in terms of story and spectacle.  Unfortunately, it's too short and never tries to do more than scratch the surface.  There's absolutely nothing in the way of character development - we're talking real comic-book stuff - and what little motivation is provided for any of the characters is almost laughably flimsy.  As far as I could make out, the whole story - the rise and fall of Mickey Cohen - takes place over a couple of weeks from start to finish, so it's basically just a highlight reel.

That said, it does look great and it's fun, fun, fun.  Gore and humour are present in spades, and although the whole thing is eye-rollingly predictable, you don't really care because it's not taking itself too seriously, either.  If you're sitting in a train (as I was) and have ninety minutes spare during which you don't want to be challenged in any way, this film is ideal.  I enjoyed it, and as long as your expectations are suitably low, you will too.

Oh, yeah - nearly forgot: Sean Penn is a doss cunt.  Fuck that guy.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Gangster Squad
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

This is why James Ellroy should write everything.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen