News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck the Pirates: Rivalry Thread  ( 13,994 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck the Pirates: Rivalry Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 08, 2015, 11:11:45 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 11:08:05 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 08, 2015, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 08, 2015, 10:57:02 AM
It's awful for the long-term intangibles narrative, but in this specific instance, he obviously brings something immeasurable to this team that makes them better.

Just like Yadier Molina.

This is the comp I keep making on twitter and no one wants to acknowledge it. It's fine. Ross is a cool guy, you're welcome to like him, and people can make the argument that the Cubs believe his defense and intangibles make him more valuable than the extra half win or so they probably could have gotten by giving 50 starts or whatever to Welington Castillo. Just tired of people feeling the need to go the extra mile and act like said intangibles make him more important than guys on the team who actually start and are good at baseball.

I don't know who those people are (presumably idiots on Twitter that you seek out,) but we've repeatedly heard guys like Rizzo and Bryant saying how important Ross has been and that's good enough for me. 

Adam Wainwright called Yadier Molina the greatest catcher of all time, that good enough for you, too?

And no I don't seek them out, there was an article posted on ESPN literally yesterday that had the lede "THE CUBS MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER MAY BE A .176 HITTING BACKUP CATCHER". This isn't just my head fairies making this crap up.

It was remarkable similar to an article published yesterday about Molina, which I'm sure everyone here would love to mock.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 08, 2015, 11:14:39 AM
I was looking for Herrera in the middle of that scrum with his "Hands-Helmet" still on his head. If that would have happened it might have been the single most hilarious thing I'd seen a baseball field in my entire life.

DPD, but this is the funniest mental image I've had in a very long time.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
It's awful for the long-term intangibles narrative, but in this specific instance, he obviously brings something immeasurable to this team that makes them better.

Just like Yadier Molina.

This is the comp I keep making on twitter and no one wants to acknowledge it. It's fine. Ross is a cool guy, you're welcome to like him, and people can make the argument that the Cubs believe his defense and intangibles make him more valuable than the extra half win or so they probably could have gotten by giving 50 starts or whatever to Welington Castillo. Just tired of people feeling the need to go the extra mile and act like said intangibles make him more important than guys on the team who actually start and are good at baseball.

I don't know who those people are (presumably idiots on Twitter that you seek out,) but we've repeatedly heard guys like Rizzo and Bryant saying how important Ross has been and that's good enough for me.  

Adam Wainwright called Yadier Molina the greatest catcher of all time, that good enough for you, too?

And no I don't seek them out, there was an article posted on ESPN literally yesterday that had the lede "THE CUBS MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER MAY BE A .176 HITTING BACKUP CATCHER". This isn't just my head fairies making this crap up.

Although, reading the article, I thought it was well-written*.

(*I could be in the minority, and I may be biased)
M'lady.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 08, 2015, 11:16:09 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 08, 2015, 11:14:39 AM
I was looking for Herrera in the middle of that scrum with his "Hands-Helmet" still on his head. If that would have happened it might have been the single most hilarious thing I'd seen a baseball field in my entire life.

DPD, but this is the funniest mental image I've had in a very long time.

Only thing better would had been if he put on the Hubba Bubba container to protect the hat
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 08, 2015, 11:15:03 AM

Just like Yadier Molina.

It was remarkable similar to an article published yesterday about Molina, which I'm sure everyone here would love to mock.

Fine.

QuoteAt the private team dinner late last month in Milwaukee, veteran reliever Carlos Villanueva went around the table and playfully explained to several players sitting near him how lucky they were to have him as a teammate. Carlos Martinez, the reliever pointed out, was a kid and then Villanueva comes along and he's an All-Star. Jhonny Peralta was a respected shortstop and with Villanueva around an All-Star.

Villanueva, grinning the whole time, told young Miguel Socolovich he was in Class AAA and then with Villanueva — voila! — a major-leaguer.

The grin then shifted to a knowing smile.

"I turned to Yadi," Villanueva recalled later with a shrug. "And, OK, what do I say? I stunk. I come here and he makes me good."

Or, the Cardinals look at Villanueva and then scout the Cubs. "Yeah, we're lucky, all right. You came from the Cubs where you helped them to 96- and 89-loss seasons. They're coming into Busch Stadium with 97 wins plus a Wild Card win, and they have their brooms out already." Yadier Molina interjected, "Ow! My thumb still hurts."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »

Just like Yadier Molina.

The Muskrat also once touted Ross-for-MVP https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/625717626254196737 so I ain't crazy, dammit.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 12:05:08 PM

Just like Yadier Molina.

The Muskrat also once touted Ross-for-MVP https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/625717626254196737 so I ain't crazy, dammit.

Just this once, I'll acknowledge that the voices might be real.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 08, 2015, 12:12:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 12:05:08 PM

Just like Yadier Molina.

Just this once, I'll acknowledge that the voices might be real.

Good. Now the fluoride killing our sex drive, any truth to that one? What about flu shots as mind control?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »
The Kang thing had a lot to do with Watson hitting Arrieta, right? They can say that Arrieta hit two of their hitters, but I don't want to live in a world where a professional baseball team truly believes that a guy with a negative million ERA in the second half of the season who is blanking them in a one-game playoff intentionally tries to hit two of their batters in one game...with sweaty-gripped curveballs that just graze them.

This was the Kang thing...and it was fucking stupid. They just used the two HBP's as an excuse to retaliate.

I'll give Watson a smidgen of credit for hitting Arrieta around the hip and not going too high.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 08, 2015, 12:25:13 PM
The Kang thing had a lot to do with Watson hitting Arrieta, right? They can say that Arrieta hit two of their hitters, but I don't want to live in a world where a professional baseball team truly believes that a guy with a negative million ERA in the second half of the season who is blanking them in a one-game playoff intentionally tries to hit two of their batters in one game...with sweaty-gripped curveballs that just graze them.

This was the Kang thing...and it was fucking stupid.

Watson said as much last night.

Can't find the link, but yes, Kang (in part.)
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 08, 2015, 12:26:50 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 08, 2015, 12:25:13 PM

This was the Kang thing...and it was fucking stupid.

Watson said as much last night.

Can't find the link, but yes, Kang (in part.)

Christ if that's the case we'll just give them Coghlan to deal with as they please. We're not using him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
What's with all this pity? Sounds like an awful lot of bullshit toleration and I for one will not stand for it. Gon' hate me some Pirates.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
What's with all this pity? Sounds like an awful lot of bullshit toleration and I for one will not stand for it. Gon' hate me some Pirates.

I'm good for hatin while the hatin is good. I can't hate Andrew McCutchen, though. That guy fucking rules. The rest of 'em can take it somewhere else of that's how younger about it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 01:52:52 PM

I'm good for hatin while the hatin is good. I can't hate Andrew McCutchen, though. That guy fucking rules. The rest of 'em can take it somewhere else of that's how younger about it.

Yeah, he's cool. The rest of them though? Hate. (Okay, Aramis gets a pass too.)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 08, 2015, 01:54:19 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 08, 2015, 01:52:52 PM

Yeah, he's cool. The rest of them though? Hate. (Okay, Aramis gets a pass too.)

Aramis is no longer a Pirate as of today basically so we're good there. Neil Walker is also probably gone but my hatred will follow him wherever he goes.