News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck the Pirates: Rivalry Thread  ( 13,953 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck the Pirates: Rivalry Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 21, 2016, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 21, 2016, 11:49:56 AM
Quote from: Yeti on June 21, 2016, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: Bort on June 21, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 21, 2016, 09:36:23 AM
Quote from: Slaky on June 21, 2016, 09:25:04 AM
Quote from: Bort on June 21, 2016, 07:29:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 20, 2016, 01:46:14 PM
Quote from: Tony on June 20, 2016, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: SKO on June 20, 2016, 09:30:32 AM
I'm an awful person who likes to laugh at other people's pain so I browsed the game threads/recaps on the Bucs SB Nation site and basically every other response boils down to:

1)Just start beaning every Cub, including Maddon
2)McCutchen is old and washed up and needs to be traded, also should have been benched for not running as hard as possible on that K in the dirt against Arrieta
3)Joe Maddon is a hipster douchebag
4)Cubs fans didn't even care about baseball before 2015.
5)They lack Fire and Passion and Clint Hurdle needs to give himself his inevitable grabber by throwing chairs and screaming at them all in the locker room.

That makes no sense.

That one cracks me up and they use it ALL THE TIME. The Annual Wildcard Shitkickings are the only times they've sold out their stadium in the last 25 years and they want to say Cubs fans didn't care about their team before it was good. It's the White Sox fan argument. SURE ONLY 10 PEOPLE WATCH OUR TEAM BUT THAT'S BETTER THAN THE 20000 ONLY GOING TO WRIGLEY TO LOOK AT THEIR PHONE AND HIT ON CHICKS

It's the consolation prize of bitter idiots. Which is why I use it as much as possible myself.

I think it's important to note that people somehow try to say that because Wrigley has good looking girls and beer that people are stupid for going there.

I mean the stereotype that fans don't pay attention to the game and just go there to have a good time was born during the decades when the team was always completely irrelevant. Of course people went just to have a good time and didn't get heavily invested in the game. Is that really worse than just not going at all? Listen to the crowd during any game this year and tell me they're not paying the fuck attention in a way that would bring a single tear running down Huard's cheek.

I remember taking a friend from out of town to Wrigley in '08, and he was amazed that the crowd cheered when the scoreboard was updated to show a division rival had lost a game, pushing the Cubs closer to the division title (Cannot remember who lost, because I'm not a common Huard). He told me "I've never seen a crowd this invested in both what's on the field and what's going on in the league."

And the last time I went to a White Sox game, half the fucking crowd of "real Chicago baseball fans" were on their phones.

My fervent belief is that literally every fanbase sucks and is loaded with fairweather people.

Precisely. Though I like picking on BFIB, I think fan superiority over another is dumb. They're all the same. There's a subset that is intelligent and thoughtful. There's also the big flotsdam of fans who have egg accounts who are pretty fucking dumb.

I don't think the BFIB are worse than Cubs fans, they think they are better than everyone else, so I just like pointing out that they aren't. I think it's safe to say everyone here knows how terrible most Chicago sports fans are, the arguments used against them are just pretty dumb and apply to just about every other fanbase.

From what I gather on Twitter the only non terrible fanbase in sports belongs to the Mariners. Those people seem cool.

Do they really, though? I'm sure you have anecdotal evidence pointing yes. And I have plenty of anecdotal evidence of Cardinal fans who hate that whole BFiB label. So, where are we? Some sports articles by places like Sporting News have labeled them as BFiB and their own media has, as well. I don't know that we have unequivocal evidence that the STL Cardinals fanbase, by and large, buys in to the BFiB moniker.

I think when their own broadcast crew trumpets that claim over and over they're stuck with it, and the vast majority of Cardinals meatballs I know do parrot that line. There are certainly intelligent Cardinals fans, and unless they are Will Leitch I don't seek them out to make fun of them. The ones I do troll are the guys like my uncle who absolutely buy the BFIB thing hook, line, and sinker.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
From what I gather on Twitter the only non terrible fanbase in sports belongs to the Mariners. Those people seem cool.

Legal weed and great beer. If there were Rockies fans, they'd probably be cool too.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
I know a guy from Seattle who hates Mariners fans because he thinks they're assholes, so your mileage may vary.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 01:13:54 PM »
Quote from: Bort on June 21, 2016, 01:11:35 PM
I know a guy from Seattle who hates Mariners fans because he thinks they're assholes, so your mileage may vary.

If they're anything like Seahawks fans, fuck 'em.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »

Well if like 5 people on twitter isn't a representative sample, I give up. I mean if twitter agrees on something it's obviously what the common man wants. Hence the reason we have such strict gun control laws.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 21, 2016, 01:16:28 PM

Well if like 5 people on twitter isn't a representative sample, I give up. I mean if twitter agrees on something it's obviously what the common man wants. Hence the reason we have such strict gun control laws.

And why we're giving $38,000 a day to charity as soon as Bernie quits wasting our Secret Service.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
Quote from: Shooter on June 21, 2016, 12:24:14 PM

Legal weed and great beer. If there were Rockies fans, they'd probably be cool too.

My two kids are the only Rockies fans I know. 

They're still a little young for legal weed and great beer, but they're pretty big fans of the snow cones at Coors Field. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 21, 2016, 01:13:54 PM

If they're anything like Seahawks fans, fuck 'em.

I know one Mariners fan and he is absolutely insufferable when it comes to all Seattle teams. Including the Sonics, as he refuses to recognize the Th*nd*r.  He's essentially the Mariners' Hawk Harrelson: everyone is out to get the Mariners and he never forgets a single slight.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »
My best friend lived in Seattle for a couple of years. He eventually moved, in part because he found that Seattle people in general were insufferable hipsters.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 21, 2016, 06:13:21 PM
My best friend lived in Seattle for a couple of years. He eventually moved, in part because he found that Seattle people in general were insufferable hipsters.

My best friend from HS lives in Tacoma. He's still an insufferable hipster.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 22, 2016, 08:52:32 AM

I think I'm finally old enough, bald enough, and out of touch enough to stop getting confused with hipsters.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 22, 2016, 10:30:26 AM

I think I'm finally old enough, bald enough, and out of touch enough to stop getting confused with hipsters.

Nope.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 22, 2016, 11:03:55 AM
Quote from: Bort on June 22, 2016, 10:30:26 AM

Nope.

But you were too old, too bald, and too out of touch before it became cool.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2016, 12:28:59 PM »
Dammit I laughed at a Kurt joke again.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »

Ron Santo was from Seattle; Ryne Sandberg is from Spokane; Darwin Barney is from Portland; and Ryan Dempster is from Vancouver, BC. What is our opinion of the Pacific Northwest again?