News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,759 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 27, 2013, 12:35:19 PM
Quote from: Fork on November 27, 2013, 12:01:26 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on November 27, 2013, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 27, 2013, 11:46:51 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 27, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 27, 2013, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: BH on November 27, 2013, 10:57:55 AM
Bump. This is pretty awesome.

This comment is great.

"Vote in anyone with even a whiff of PED, and Frank Thomas. I want to watch the uncomfortable acceptance speech lineup of Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, and then Thomas. "

Because nobody who played football at Auburn ever used PEDs. Nope. Nosiree.

Frank Thomas has always been preternaturally large and he had long complained in MLBPA meetings and in the press, I believe, about steroid use in baseball.

While doubt is fine for pretty much anyone who played during the era, I think there's enough convincing evidence against the thought that Frank Thomas dabbled with dope.

You do know that size is not the only thing PED users are looking to achieve, right? Where's your convincing evidence beyond his vehement denials? I mean, you can believe him if you want to. I don't really have any reason not to myself, other than I don't like him and think he's a dick. I admit that's not a good reason.

A presumption of innocence and a lack of evidence showing guilt? That's just me, though.

That only works in a court of law. This is a court of opinion. He looked like Gary Coleman before he started juicing.

What?  Are you saying he started juicing when he was like 10 years old?

The pipsqueak circa 1987...

His teammates at Auburn probably called him "Slim".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2013, 12:34:51 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 27, 2013, 02:52:25 PM

This comment is great.

"Vote in anyone with even a whiff of PED, and Frank Thomas. I want to watch the uncomfortable acceptance speech lineup of Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, and then Thomas. "

Frank Thomas has always been preternaturally large and he had long complained in MLBPA meetings and in the press, I believe, about steroid use in baseball.

While doubt is fine for pretty much anyone who played during the era, I think there's enough convincing evidence against the thought that Frank Thomas dabbled with dope.

You do know that size is not the only thing PED users are looking to achieve, right? Where's your convincing evidence beyond his vehement denials? I mean, you can believe him if you want to. I don't really have any reason not to myself, other than I don't like him and think he's a dick. I admit that's not a good reason.

A presumption of innocence and a lack of evidence showing guilt? That's just me, though.

That only works in a court of law. This is a court of opinion. He looked like Gary Coleman before he started juicing.

His dick at birth was bigger than Gary Coleman's entire adult body

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:48 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 30, 2013, 12:34:51 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 27, 2013, 02:52:25 PM

This comment is great.

His dick at birth was bigger than Gary Coleman's entire adult body

After all those years of juicin' though, Emmanual Lewis would OWN "Big" Frank in a sword fight.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Bobby Cox, wife beater and Tony LaRussa, steroid giver both in.

Meanwhile, Bonds and his ilk MUST BE KEPT OUT.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 09, 2013, 10:50:03 AM

Self-righteousness is a helluva drug.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Genius Asks: Who Do I Have To Kill To Be A Hall of Famer?
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

Don't give Joe Torre a free ride on this bus.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Genius Asks: Who Do I Have To Kill To Be A Hall of Famer?
« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 09, 2013, 12:39:53 PM

You keep saying that and other than "Joe Torre won the most titles during the "Steroid Era"  I'm wondering what the hell you're referring to.

Pettite and Clemens, yes, but Jeter, Bernie Williams and the Fruit Bat?  On the teams from '96-'00 when they won 4 WS in 5 years (and Clemens was only o the last 2 of those), who are we talking about?  They had bench guys like Strawberry and Fielder in '96, who I'm pretty sure were just ingesting blow and cheeseburgers, respectively...Paul O'Neill?  Shane Spencer?  Who?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Genius Asks: Who Do I Have To Kill To Be A Hall of Famer?
« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:55 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 10, 2013, 05:55:45 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 09, 2013, 12:39:53 PM

You keep saying that and other than "Joe Torre won the most titles during the "Steroid Era"  I'm wondering what the hell you're referring to.

Pettite and Clemens, yes, but Jeter, Bernie Williams and the Fruit Bat?  On the teams from '96-'00 when they won 4 WS in 5 years (and Clemens was only o the last 2 of those), who are we talking about?  They had bench guys like Strawberry and Fielder in '96, who I'm pretty sure were just ingesting blow and cheeseburgers, respectively...Paul O'Neill?  Shane Spencer?  Who?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Tino Martinez was juicing at the end of the nineties, there, but by and large, I agree - the Torre Yanks were hardly the fucking Bash Brothers.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »
Paul O'Neill did get hurt a lot and seemed to have a lot of simmering anger, but he also didn't change 3 shirt sizes in a 4 year period.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 10, 2013, 06:47:47 AM
Paul O'Neill did get hurt a lot and seemed to have a lot of simmering anger, but he also didn't change 3 shirt sizes in a 4 year period.

don't forget that roids or HGH aren't just used to build ludicrous amounts of muscle. Was Andy Pettitte some kind of Ned Flanders when he removed the pinstriped top? Doubt it.

These guys, hell probably every team had guys, who would use something to get healthy quickly and stay off the DL. You'd never know it.

Which is part of the reason why I don't give a fuck about PEDs.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 10, 2013, 09:05:29 AM

don't forget that roids or HGH aren't just used to build ludicrous amounts of muscle. Was Andy Pettitte some kind of Ned Flanders when he removed the pinstriped top? Doubt it.

These guys, hell probably every team had guys, who would use something to get healthy quickly and stay off the DL. You'd never know it.

And that's the end of the PED debate. Thanks, guys. It's been emotional.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 10, 2013, 09:19:12 AM

Every team had guys on the stuff during this time, so it's not like these managers had some sort of advantage. They just had better players on PEDs. The whole morality, sanctity of the game crap is ridiculous. You could argue that greenies helped players more, and everyone took those for decades. Who cares.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Quote from: BH on December 10, 2013, 09:21:24 AM

Every team had has guys on the stuff during this time, so it's not like these managers had some sort of advantage. They just had better players on PEDs. The whole morality, sanctity of the game crap is ridiculous. You could argue that greenies helped players more, and everyone took those for decades. Who cares.

The game has no sanctity. People who try to project that on it are really sad in the way that they delude themselves and try to impose their beliefs on others. Players took what was available to them before steroids were available. Greenies were a fine example. They kept non-whites out of the game until Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby so take that sanctity, shove it in your pie hole and choke on it.  

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: December 10, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 10, 2013, 09:26:51 AM
Quote from: BH on December 10, 2013, 09:21:24 AM

Every team had has guys on the stuff during this time, so it's not like these managers had some sort of advantage. They just had better players on PEDs. The whole morality, sanctity of the game crap is ridiculous. You could argue that greenies helped players more, and everyone took those for decades. Who cares.

The game has no sanctity. People who try to project that on it are really sad in the way that they delude themselves and try to impose their beliefs on others. Players took what was available to them before steroids were available. Greenies were a fine example. They kept non-whites out of the game until Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby so take that sanctity, shove it in your pie hole and choke on it.  

The BBHOF also has as members some people who even by their contemporary standards were unconscionable assholes, e.g. Ty Cobb.

I used to be of the belief that the Hall of Fame should keep the PEDers out, but I'm more convinced now that they should be allowed in with the caveat that their suspected PED use be conspicuously referenced on their plaques (or at least somewhere in very close proximity to their wing of the hall)

I think to do otherwise simply enables baseball to continue to sweep the whole issue under the rug, forget its past, and pretend it's no longer an issue.  All history making people and events should have the complete stories told to the widest audience.  To not do so only perpetuates this idea that history's sole value is to glorify the past rather than address everything.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »

I actually think the juicers should be let in, for all I give a fuck about the HOF.

Fact is, without Sosa and McGwire, baseball wouldn't have had as quick a rebound following the work stoppage in 94.

Not to mention, it's a little hard to say that because these guys cheated they shouldn't be allowed into the same hallowed hall as Whitey Ford, Don Sutton or Gaylord Perry.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16