News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Wrigley Field should die a horrible, horrible death  ( 5,157 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Wrigley Field should die a horrible, horrible death
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:47 PM »
Kerm's new boy toy apparently interviewed Scott Rolen and he had a few comments about Wrigley

QuoteDK: You have played a lot of games here at Wrigley Field during your career. Why do you think the Cubs haven't been able to win here?

SCOTT ROLEN:

I think I don't know is probably the politically correct answer. True answer? The facts or the truth? The facts? The facts as I see it, I think they have their hands full a little bit. I think they're limited in their facilities here, their batting cage, I think it limits their work. A little restricted obviously in the clubhouse and their weight room. A lot of facilities that other teams have. They play a different schedule than everybody in baseball. There's three things in my mind that are facts. I don't know if that's the truth because to me there's a difference between the facts and the truth. Well it's a night game now basically. You sleep in during the day, you play a lot of night games and you struggle with travel days and everyone struggles with day games. They're playing 50, 55, 60 whatever day games a year. It's a different schedule. So I know for us coming here playing four day games, we're beat. That's their season. That's what they're doing. It puts their backs against the wall a little bit. They have good players, they have good personnel, they know how to play baseball. They have a good organization, but you know honestly I think it's difficult for them. Like I said, when we're talking about facilities everyone talks about Wrigley Field. Great atmosphere we love coming here, the fans, batting practice, everything. Fantastic, the ivy the whole works. I'm in. There's a lot in the game today, there's a lot of beautiful facilities. That are geared towards working, towards perfecting you know your skill, towards video, you know a lot of things have changed in the game and I'm not sure what the other side looks like but you know batting cages and stuff, I think are a bit restricted. They have to work pretty hard, they've got their hands full. But great place to play, everyone loves playing here and good personel, good ball club, good players.

Now, just because Rolen said it isn't the main reason I want it gone. I've hated Rolen ever since he played for St. Louis. Fuck him and everything about him. But, he is right about the facilities being shit. No reason a major league club needs to play in a building that can't even have normal, 1990s parking, has 5 male bathrooms for 40,000 people (probably 25-30,000 being men),  has obstructed views, and has no fucking jumbotron. Just burn the fucker down and move the field. Put it in CT's backyard or something.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Wrigley Field should die a horrible, horrible death
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 12, 2010, 12:54:47 PM
Kerm's new boy toy apparently interviewed Scott Rolen and he had a few comments about Wrigley

QuoteDK: You have played a lot of games here at Wrigley Field during your career. Why do you think the Cubs haven't been able to win here?

SCOTT ROLEN:

I think I don't know is probably the politically correct answer. True answer? The facts or the truth? The facts? The facts as I see it, I think they have their hands full a little bit. I think they're limited in their facilities here, their batting cage, I think it limits their work. A little restricted obviously in the clubhouse and their weight room. A lot of facilities that other teams have. They play a different schedule than everybody in baseball. There's three things in my mind that are facts. I don't know if that's the truth because to me there's a difference between the facts and the truth. Well it's a night game now basically. You sleep in during the day, you play a lot of night games and you struggle with travel days and everyone struggles with day games. They're playing 50, 55, 60 whatever day games a year. It's a different schedule. So I know for us coming here playing four day games, we're beat. That's their season. That's what they're doing. It puts their backs against the wall a little bit. They have good players, they have good personnel, they know how to play baseball. They have a good organization, but you know honestly I think it's difficult for them. Like I said, when we're talking about facilities everyone talks about Wrigley Field. Great atmosphere we love coming here, the fans, batting practice, everything. Fantastic, the ivy the whole works. I'm in. There's a lot in the game today, there's a lot of beautiful facilities. That are geared towards working, towards perfecting you know your skill, towards video, you know a lot of things have changed in the game and I'm not sure what the other side looks like but you know batting cages and stuff, I think are a bit restricted. They have to work pretty hard, they've got their hands full. But great place to play, everyone loves playing here and good personel, good ball club, good players.

Now, just because Rolen said it isn't the main reason I want it gone. I've hated Rolen ever since he played for St. Louis. Fuck him and everything about him. But, he is right about the facilities being shit. No reason a major league club needs to play in a building that can't even have normal, 1990s parking, has 5 male bathrooms for 40,000 people (probably 25-30,000 being men),  has obstructed views, and has no fucking jumbotron. Just burn the fucker down and move the field. Put it in CT's backyard or something.

I need this part explained to me, since I've heard it a bunch of times before but don't really get it.

If Day Games are much harder on the players since they're frequently coming off night games and on getaway days, wouldn't a team that has more day games be better equipped to handle them? If a team, like the Reds, is coming off an extended night game schedule, and has to come into Wrigley for 3 straight day games, wouldn't they be the ones who are less able to adapt?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
We're back to the our team sucks because of the shitty batting cages argument? Rudy's hands are tied people!
Explains why we're 19-27 on the road.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
Just build the mythical Triangle Building, install a shitload of Facilities, schedule a few more night games, and come up with new excuses.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »
Didn't this story come out like a week ago when the Reds were in town? I know it did but I think I still don't give a shit enough to find it with a week-old dateline.

And since Rolen is probably the only person in baseball who hates the Genius more than I do, and we have mutual friends in So. Indiana, I'm fine with him.  
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 12, 2010, 02:18:10 PM
Didn't this story come out like a week ago when the Reds were in town? I know it did but I think I still don't give a shit enough to find it with a week-old dateline.

And since Rolen is probably the only person in baseball who hates the Genius more than I do, and we have mutual friends in So. Indiana, I'm fine with him.  

It did. I don't think day games are the reason the Cubs haven't won in a century. That's idiotic.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 12, 2010, 02:27:46 PM

It did. I don't think day games are the reason the Cubs haven't won in a century. That's idiotic.

And how would one explain the fact that in 1984, the Cubs won a league-leading 96 games while playing all 81 home games under the torturous, unforgiving heliosphere?

Fuck everybody.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:37:15 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 12, 2010, 02:34:55 PM

And how would one explain the fact that in 1984, the Cubs won a league-leading 96 games while playing all 81 home games under the torturous, unforgiving heliosphere?

Fuck everybody.

I blame Dallas Green for the surprising success that was 1984.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 12, 2010, 02:37:15 PM

Fuck everybody.

You would.

Thank God Hendry won't be ruining your ability to hate this team anytime soon, right?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 12, 2010, 02:44:35 PM

Fuck everybody.

You would.

Thank God Hendry won't be ruining your ability to hate this team anytime soon, right?

You didn't see what I did there.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 12, 2010, 02:46:28 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 12, 2010, 02:44:35 PM

Fuck everybody.

You would.

You didn't see what I did there.

I think he did.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:58:41 PM »

I'm not of the thinking that the Cubs can't win in that park or under that schedule. It's just kind of pathetic. A $1 billion dollar franchise or whatever Ricketts paid and they're not even in the top 20 in facilities. $135 million dollar team on the field, but I wouldn't even pay that much for the park. It's ancient. My step-dad and I were talking about it over the weekend and he has been making me sad lately. He is over the mindset that the Cubs won't win in that park. Same goes for Santo. He doesn't think they'll win with him announcing. Both are ridiculous, but both things are pretty sad subjects for the Cubs.

Now, if I remember correctly, there are ordinances in place that limit the amount of night games they can play, correct? I know about the Friday/Saturday one, but I was thinking there was another one. It just seems retarded that a major league club can't schedule games how they'd like to, if that is the case. I don't think the day games adversely affect the Cubs but I would have to think that even though they usually do well selling out games, they'd be able to make more money during games  if they're at night (increased viewership, etc).

Another thing that seems dumb is the fact that the Cardinals have a park that puts the Cubs to shame. The last Busch Stadium was even worlds better than Wrigley. The current park is really nice. Very roomy. Nice spots (the area out in Centerfield is really cool). I am there more than Wrigley, as it's closer and my friends are primarily Cardinal fans, but I don't mind it per se. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would be extremely happy if I saw that their plane crashed, but going there isn't a chore. It's a good park that's easy to get to, easy to park at, and doesn't have a bad seat in the house.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 12, 2010, 02:58:41 PM
Another thing that seems dumb is the fact that the Cardinals have a park that puts the Cubs to shame. The last Busch Stadium was even worlds better than Wrigley. The current park is really nice. Very roomy. Nice spots (the area out in Centerfield is really cool). I am there more than Wrigley, as it's closer and my friends are primarily Cardinal fans, but I don't mind it per se. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would be extremely happy if I saw that their plane crashed, but going there isn't a chore. It's a good park that's easy to get to, easy to park at, and doesn't have a bad seat in the house.

I don't know, but this seems like the kind of thing some people around here aren't going to let go of anytime soon.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 12, 2010, 03:01:43 PM

I don't know, but this seems like the kind of thing some people around here aren't going to let go of anytime soon.

Based off of this place's track record of not accusing people of liking another team for appreciating one facet of them, I disagree.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 12, 2010, 03:01:43 PM

Not only does Yeti prefer the Cardinals, their stadium and their fans, but Missouri's long history of looking the other way regarding sexual relations with minors was really the tipping point. 
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"