News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009 College Football Thread  ( 116,803 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009 College Football Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4451405

""Not everybody is the perfect person in the world," Pryor said of Vick. "Everyone does -- kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance.""

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Quote from: BH on September 08, 2009, 11:41:48 AM

""Not everybody is the perfect person in the world," Pryor said of Vick. "Everyone does -- kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance.""

He's right.  In fact, I killed three guys before coming into work today.  No biggie.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:09 PM »
Quote from: BH on September 08, 2009, 11:41:48 AM

Ted Lilly doesn't see a problem with this quote.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 11:21:10 AM
Quote from: MAD on September 08, 2009, 11:15:11 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 11:09:11 AM
Yes, Iowa got lucky.  But can anyone explain the logic of why a blocked kick that doesn't cross the line of scrimmage that is recovered by the kicking team results in a clock stoppage?  Why is that any different from a fumble recovery or a recovery of a dropped lateral?

Considering that he is not only our Resident Desipio Rules Expert but an Iowa grad, I would expect a Dave B. post in 3...2...1...
If the answer is, "Because the rule is written that way," then it's a fucking dumb rule.  One hopes it's not because a blocked FG takes longer to untangle the bodies than any other type of play does.

There is some logic here.  Right?

A blocked field goal is treated like an incomplete pass.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
So it looks like I'm going to spend the rest of the college football season hoping that the Notre Dame win was a fluke, hoping USC loses to someone and watching the SEC eat itself.

Fun?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 08, 2009, 01:02:08 PM

That's nuts.  It's a live ball when it hits the ground like a fumble.  I could see it treated as incomplete if it's a dead ball when it hits the ground.  Is that college only or NFL too?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 01:29:40 PM

That's nuts.  It's a live ball when it hits the ground like a fumble.  I could see it treated as incomplete if it's a dead ball when it hits the ground.  Is that college only or NFL too?

I thought it was a live ball behind the line of scrimmage, can't be advanced by the kicking team if it's beyond the line of scrimmage.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 08, 2009, 01:46:29 PM

I thought it was a live ball behind the line of scrimmage, can't be advanced by the kicking team if it's beyond the line of scrimmage.

That's correct. But in terms of the clock, it's treated like an incomplete pass, clock stops and they respot the ball.

If the ball is beyond the LOS and is touched by the defensive team, the kicking team can recover it. That's why the Iowa kids stayed away from the ball the first time.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 08, 2009, 02:04:08 PM

That's correct. But in terms of the clock, it's treated like an incomplete pass, clock stops and they respot the ball.

If the ball is beyond the LOS and is touched by the defensive team, the kicking team can recover it. That's why the Iowa kids stayed away from the ball the first time.

Can the kicking team advance the ball if recovered behind the line?  I seem to recall a Bear-Packer game that allowed such an advance, but that ball was caught on the fly if I remember right.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 02:13:36 PM

Can the kicking team advance the ball if recovered behind the line?  I seem to recall a Bear-Packer game that allowed such an advance, but that ball was caught on the fly if I remember right.

According to the NCAA rulebook the kicking team can recover - and advance - a blocked kick or punt that is picked up behind the LOS. I assume this is still true in the NFL as well.

And I remember that game too. Chester Marcol was the kicker for the Packers who picked up the ball and ran it in for a TD in overtime.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:29 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 08, 2009, 02:19:37 PM
According to the NCAA rulebook the kicking team can recover - and advance - a blocked kick or punt that is picked up behind the LOS. I assume this is still true in the NFL as well.

OK.  Then there is no logic to this being considered the same as an incomplete pass.

I now have a new direction for my bile now that Alfonso Soriano is in the right place to help the Cubs the most.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 02:13:36 PM

Why did you have to remind me of Chester Marcol, you horrible, horrible monster?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 08, 2009, 02:23:29 PM

OK.  Then there is no logic to this being considered the same as an incomplete pass.

I now have a new direction for my bile now that Alfonso Soriano is in the right place to help the Cubs the most.

When did Fonzy die?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

Actuallly, there is nothing I can find in the rulebook that indicates why they don't restart the clock once the ball is spotted in that situation. I just assumed they treated it like a forward pass.

They would have to stop the clock to unpile and determine who recovered the ball but in any other instance they would restart the clock unless there was a change of possession.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 08, 2009, 02:40:38 PM

Actuallly, there is nothing I can find in the rulebook that indicates why they don't restart the clock once the ball is spotted in that situation. I just assumed they treated it like a forward pass.

They would have to stop the clock to unpile and determine who recovered the ball but in any other instance they would restart the clock unless there was a change of possession.

There would have to be a clock stoppage, since if the kicking team recovered, it would either be a first down, in which case the clock stops until the chains are moved, or change of posession on downs.

This is assuming the only non-fourth-down kicking situations occur when there's no time left on the clock for another play.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16