News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns  ( 25,867 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
2006 Redux: Seattke Returns
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »
Hopefully no Rashied Davis overtime heroics are needed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 09, 2011, 06:42:02 PM

Rashied will be in their mouth all day. (||)
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

Well done. A confusing inside joke lives on.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 09, 2011, 08:40:46 PM

Well done. A confusing inside joke lives on.

Shut up, Paul.  You're a douche. 
M'lady.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

QuoteOn draft day last year while I was still Director of College Scouting with the Bears, we had a lot of discussion about Starks. Three different people had graded Starks (the area scout, me and Jerry Angelo) and all three of us had high grades. Going into the draft, the running back position was not a big need because we had Matt Forte and had just signed Chester Taylor as a free agent. When we got to the 6th round and Starks was still on the board he stuck out like a sore thumb, we had to discuss him! There was another player who we also had a high grade on available. That was quarterback Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan. There was excellent discussion on the two players with some people favoring Starks and others favoring LeFevour. I was in Starks' corner. The reason being his talent, and the plan was to carry only two quarterbacks on the active roster. With Jay Cutler and Caleb Hanie under contract I did not see how LeFevour could make the team. I had watched Starks play live 4 times during his career; there was not a doubt in my mind that he would contribute to the Bears. I liked Dan LeFevour as well. He had great intangibles, is very smart, has a strong arm and was a fit for Mike Martz' offense. But under the circumstances it would be difficult for him to make the team.

As we got closer to our pick, Angelo made the decision for the Bears to draft Starks. When we drafted a player there was a protocol we followed. After the decision on who to draft was made, Cliff Stein (the Bears contract negotiator) would call the players agent and tell him we were planning on drafting his player. He would tell the agent that the wanted to get a 4-year contract with the player and wanted the contract done by a certain date. If the agent agreed then I would call the player and give him the news that the Bears were going to take him. This is exactly what happened with Starks. I was on the phone for a minute or so with Starks when Angelo walked in my office and told me he had changed his mind and was drafting LeFevour. I put Starks on hold and then said to Angelo that Stein had already talked to the agent and I had the player on the phone...we couldn't do business like that. He said he was sorry but he decided he wanted LeFevour and the card had been turned in.

I then had to tell the player (a player that I had developed a good relationship with over the previous two years) that in fact we were not drafting him. Hearing a kid go from being extremely excited to silence was not easy. It was the most embarrassing moment I had experienced while scouting.

In my mind everything is about integrity and I felt our integrity had been damaged. We had told a player and his agent that we were going to draft him and then backed out of the deal. To make amends, we promised the agent that if Starks was still available in the 7th round we would draft him. Green Bay, though, took him about 10 picks later and the rest is history.

Looking back, I have no problem with Angelo's decision to draft LeFevour. He is the General Manager and as such has final say in all football matters.

As a post script, LeFevour was released at the final cut and is now with Cincinnati and Starks ran for 123 yards on 23 carries in a playoff game. Good for you James! I'm proud of you. Good luck next week in Atlanta.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 11, 2011, 02:56:23 PM
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

QuoteOn draft day last year while I was still Director of College Scouting with the Bears, we had a lot of discussion about Starks. Three different people had graded Starks (the area scout, me and Jerry Angelo) and all three of us had high grades. Going into the draft, the running back position was not a big need because we had Matt Forte and had just signed Chester Taylor as a free agent. When we got to the 6th round and Starks was still on the board he stuck out like a sore thumb, we had to discuss him! There was another player who we also had a high grade on available. That was quarterback Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan. There was excellent discussion on the two players with some people favoring Starks and others favoring LeFevour. I was in Starks' corner. The reason being his talent, and the plan was to carry only two quarterbacks on the active roster. With Jay Cutler and Caleb Hanie under contract I did not see how LeFevour could make the team. I had watched Starks play live 4 times during his career; there was not a doubt in my mind that he would contribute to the Bears. I liked Dan LeFevour as well. He had great intangibles, is very smart, has a strong arm and was a fit for Mike Martz' offense. But under the circumstances it would be difficult for him to make the team.

As we got closer to our pick, Angelo made the decision for the Bears to draft Starks. When we drafted a player there was a protocol we followed. After the decision on who to draft was made, Cliff Stein (the Bears contract negotiator) would call the players agent and tell him we were planning on drafting his player. He would tell the agent that the wanted to get a 4-year contract with the player and wanted the contract done by a certain date. If the agent agreed then I would call the player and give him the news that the Bears were going to take him. This is exactly what happened with Starks. I was on the phone for a minute or so with Starks when Angelo walked in my office and told me he had changed his mind and was drafting LeFevour. I put Starks on hold and then said to Angelo that Stein had already talked to the agent and I had the player on the phone...we couldn't do business like that. He said he was sorry but he decided he wanted LeFevour and the card had been turned in.

I then had to tell the player (a player that I had developed a good relationship with over the previous two years) that in fact we were not drafting him. Hearing a kid go from being extremely excited to silence was not easy. It was the most embarrassing moment I had experienced while scouting.

In my mind everything is about integrity and I felt our integrity had been damaged. We had told a player and his agent that we were going to draft him and then backed out of the deal. To make amends, we promised the agent that if Starks was still available in the 7th round we would draft him. Green Bay, though, took him about 10 picks later and the rest is history.

Looking back, I have no problem with Angelo's decision to draft LeFevour. He is the General Manager and as such has final say in all football matters.

As a post script, LeFevour was released at the final cut and is now with Cincinnati and Starks ran for 123 yards on 23 carries in a playoff game. Good for you James! I'm proud of you. Good luck next week in Atlanta.

The real mistake here was signing Chester Taylor.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2011, 03:02:47 PM
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

Ron Turner would have made Chester Taylor a star.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 11, 2011, 03:29:43 PM
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

Biggs isn't saying. He's just saying.

QuoteNot saying Ron Turner was the goods as Bears OC, but I do know they didn't finish 30th in NFL under him like they did this season.

Maybe Turner used to go out for cocoa with Biggsy and Tim Shaw. Speaking of Shaw - he had 29 tackles this year AND a forced fumble. The Bears SUPPOSED special teams ace Corey Graham only had 23 tackles and ZERO. FORCED. FUMBLES. Another Angelo blunder!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 11, 2011, 03:35:12 PM
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

QuoteNot saying Ron Turner was the goods as Bears OC, but I do know they didn't finish 30th in NFL under him like they did this season.

Maybe Turner used to go out for cocoa with Biggsy and Tim Shaw. Speaking of Shaw - he had 29 tackles this year AND a forced fumble. The Bears SUPPOSED special teams ace Corey Graham only had 23 tackles and ZERO. FORCED. FUMBLES. Another Angelo blunder!

Turner had to go. He took away jay cutler's scholarship at Illinois.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 11, 2011, 03:38:21 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 11, 2011, 03:35:12 PM
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

Turner had to go. He took away jay cutler's scholarship at Illinois.

Turner had to go. He converted Kelvin Hayden into a DB and if not for that, maybe the Bears lose Super Bowl XLI 22-17.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
QuoteTurner had to go. He converted Kelvin Hayden into a DB and if not for that, maybe the Bears lose Super Bowl XLI 22-17.
I've always wondered what Turner was thinking when that play happened. Had he just left him at wideout Jon Beutjer would have destroyed his draft stock and Rex probably throws that ball for a TD or, well, to really any other DB that was in the general vicinity of the sideline.

Also, the very fact that Martz's offense adapted and improved throughout the second half of the season makes him better than Turner. Turner was going to use the power run game and the play action pass, effectiveness be damned. Martz is far from perfect, but that overall ranking in yardage is still hurt by the absolutely anemic stats they were posting before the bye.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2011, 04:00:18 PM
QuoteTurner had to go. He converted Kelvin Hayden into a DB and if not for that, maybe the Bears lose Super Bowl XLI 22-17.
I've always wondered what Turner was thinking when that play happened. Had he just left him at wideout Jon Beutjer would have destroyed his draft stock and Rex probably throws that ball for a TD or, well, to really any other DB that was in the general vicinity of the sideline.

I like your way of thinking. Bears win the Super Bowl 24-22 and Peyton Manning retires three years later unable to cope with being outdueled by Rex Grossman, humiliated by his desperation pass to Dallas Clark late in the game getting picked off by Hunter Hillenmeyer to seal the game, and ultimately forced to suffer the indignity of having new coach Josh McDaniels attempt to trade for Matt Cassell before being forced to settle on Brett Favre.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:13 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 11, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 11, 2011, 04:00:18 PM

I like your way of thinking. Bears win the Super Bowl 24-22 and Peyton Manning retires three years later unable to cope with being outdueled by Rex Grossman, humiliated by his desperation pass to Dallas Clark late in the game getting picked off by Hunter Hillenmeyer to seal the game, and ultimately forced to suffer the indignity of having new coach Josh McDaniels attempt to trade for Matt Cassell before being forced to settle on Brett Favre.

Meanwhile, Rex, having won the Superbowl and silenced his critics, flips Chicago the bird, retires early, and starts a very successful career as a rapper and adult film star.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
FIRE JERRY ANGELO!

The real mistake here was signing Chester Taylor. Todd Collins