News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Why I hate the World Series  ( 6,513 )

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Why I hate the World Series
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »
Living down here and being married to a Rangers fan I was following it pretty closely. Even had a chance to attend Game 6 of the LCS. Really would have liked to see Texas win because they were fun to watch.

And even though the Cubs drive me nuts I do love baseball and usually watch the Series.

Unless of course the White Sox or Cards are in it. In that case, fuck baseball. Luckily, they keep canceling the Series when either one gets close.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
Fuck the Giants and their "56" years of futility.

Why can't the Cubs do this just once?

Save us, Quade!!!
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
DPD, but listening to Ron Washington right now and goddamn, he's a bright man. He seems like a fantastic manager too.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug, evidently.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »
Now the freakin' Gints win the World Series?   Can my life be any worse?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 07:45:38 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 02, 2010, 12:01:07 AM

You could be a foot shorter.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:27 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 02, 2010, 07:45:38 AM

You are right.  I wouldn't be able to go on the Flying Dumbo ride.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
BTW, the body count will be off the charts if Brian Wilson & Theodore ever wind up on the same roster.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 02, 2010, 09:26:27 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 02, 2010, 07:45:38 AM

You are right.  I wouldn't be able to go on the Flying Dumbo ride.

Or talk down to Oleg.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
This is from BCB:

"Congratulations to the Giants on breaking their 56-year World Series drought.

That means it has to be our turn soon, right?

It occurs to me that the Cubs' National League pennant drought is now getting to the point where its length is the overwhelming majority of the World Series drought. 65 NL pennantless years, 102 World Series-less years; the "shorter" span is now 64% of the longer one. Looking at it another way, when the Cubs were last in the World Series in 1945, they hadn't won a World Series in 37 years. Going into the 1945 WS, the World Series droughts of the other 15 teams in existence at the time were:

Cardinals, 1 year (1944); Yankees, 2 years (1943); Reds, 5 years (1940); Tigers, 10 years (1935); Giants, 12 years (1933); Athletics, 15 years (1930); Pirates, 20 years (1925); Senators, 21 years (1924); Indians, 25 years (1920); Red Sox, 27 years (1918); White Sox, 28 years (1917); Braves, 31 years (1914); Dodgers, never; Phillies, never; Browns, never

What's the point of this? That in 1945, the Cubs' drought, though long, wasn't outrageously so; three teams had never won a World Series and three others (Braves, White Sox, Red Sox) had droughts that were close to the Cubs' length. The Cubs had won more World Series at the time (two) than seven of the 15 teams (the three that had never won and the Tigers, Senators, Braves and Indians, who had one each).

I believe that when the Cubs finally get those last five damned outs and win the NL pennant, they'll win the World Series that year. The biggest obstacle, I believe, has been getting there."

Can someone translate this for me?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 05:22:24 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 02, 2010, 04:39:18 PM
This is from BCB:

"Congratulations to the Giants on breaking their 56-year World Series drought.

That means it has to be our turn soon, right?

It occurs to me that the Cubs' National League pennant drought is now getting to the point where its length is the overwhelming majority of the World Series drought. 65 NL pennantless years, 102 World Series-less years; the "shorter" span is now 64% of the longer one. Looking at it another way, when the Cubs were last in the World Series in 1945, they hadn't won a World Series in 37 years. Going into the 1945 WS, the World Series droughts of the other 15 teams in existence at the time were:

Cardinals, 1 year (1944); Yankees, 2 years (1943); Reds, 5 years (1940); Tigers, 10 years (1935); Giants, 12 years (1933); Athletics, 15 years (1930); Pirates, 20 years (1925); Senators, 21 years (1924); Indians, 25 years (1920); Red Sox, 27 years (1918); White Sox, 28 years (1917); Braves, 31 years (1914); Dodgers, never; Phillies, never; Browns, never

What's the point of this? That in 1945, the Cubs' drought, though long, wasn't outrageously so; three teams had never won a World Series and three others (Braves, White Sox, Red Sox) had droughts that were close to the Cubs' length. The Cubs had won more World Series at the time (two) than seven of the 15 teams (the three that had never won and the Tigers, Senators, Braves and Indians, who had one each).

I believe that when the Cubs finally get those last five damned outs and win the NL pennant, they'll win the World Series that year. The biggest obstacle, I believe, has been getting there."

The cubs would've won a World Series by now, but they haven't been good enough to get there.  BUT, when they do, if they score more runs in 4 out of 7 games than the team they are opposing, they will probably win the Big Dance Bowl.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 01, 2010, 09:39:29 PM
Cubs fans can take solace in the fact that Mike Fontenot finally got a Word Series ring...

Don't forget Mark Derosa.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »

"For every year the Cubs go without getting to the World Series at all, their World Series championship drought gets longer"?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 02, 2010, 06:14:40 PM

"For every year the Cubs go without getting to the World Series at all, their World Series championship drought gets longer"?

"Al needs a job"?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.