News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns  ( 25,866 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2011, 10:40:48 AM
I think he's a cocky sonofabitch who hates losing like it's cancer and looks like he wants to set the entire stadium on fire whenever he gets sacked or throw an interception. I can relate to that, so I appreciate it. I also think that if "intangibles" matter at all, it's in his relationship with his teammates, and other than one comment Urlacher may or may not have said to Bobby fucking Wade before he even met Jay Cutler they seem to support him. He's got the entire organization behind him 100%, so that alone should keep him from the Jeff George comparison that everyone likes to make. Because George's attitude did not affect his on-field play, and neither does Cutler. The only time that "chemistry" shit really matters is if you get a coach and a front office who get tired of it and decide to toss the guy. Cutler's never shown anything with anyone other than Josh McDaniels that would hint at a problem like that, and I think it's safe to say by now that McDaniels was more of a problem than Jay.

I know we've been over this before. But George's attitude did effect his onfield play. Nobody on his own team could stand him. That affected the amount of work he and his teammates and coaches put in to prepare for opponents and etc. I've heard a thousand times how much George hated to work and that affected shit too. That's how a guy with all the tools in the world ended up not doing much. Because eventually, there was no onfield play because nobody would trust him enough to play him. So stop this nonsense once and for all. Please. At long last.

Sigh. That's eventually what I said, innit? Look at the italicized. Yes, in a sense, the long term effect of George being an asshole was that it eventually affected his on-field play by, you know, keeping him off the field. But I mean that, in the short term, it didn't affect his playing ability or the results, because I don't see how anyone can look at his 1995 season with Atlanta, his 1997 campaign in Oakland, and his 1999 tour with the VIkings and say it kept him from being an effective player. My point is that people making the Jeff George comparisons miss the point with Cutler. He appears to have the entire support of his organization and the Only people he seems to give a shit about pleasing are them. So from an organizational standpoint the franchise has committed to Jay and thus he knows it doesn't matter what other people think. With George it was a combination of criticism from without and within the organizations he fucked.

I believe that as good as George was in those seasons you named, he could have been even better if he weren't a total cockbag without peer. We'll never know that of course, because he was such a cockbag he denied himself a chance to prove it. I think we agree that George is a turd and Cutler has no business in the same sentance with that fuck.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Will you two go to lunch?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 13, 2011, 11:08:53 AM

My train doesn't leave till two on Saturday. If the Pex wants to get lathered up and talk and debate Jeff George, I'm all ears.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2011, 11:10:40 AM
Quote from: Yeti on January 13, 2011, 11:08:53 AM

My train doesn't leave till two on Saturday. If the Pex wants to get lathered up and talk and debate Jeff George, I'm all ears.

If you're in town right now, let's light this candle. And by right now, I mean later.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
Jeff George had better haircuts than Jay Cutler.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 13, 2011, 01:15:16 PM
Jeff George had better haircuts than Jay Cutler.

Kyle Orton had better facial hair.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986 and here's the finished Reilly piece. He actually points out alot of the good about Cutler at the end, but most of it's shit. What I gather is that John Elway and John Lynch didn't like Cutler because both tried giving him unsolicited advice and he wasn't interested. Fine by me.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2011, 01:59:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986 and here's the finished Reilly piece. He actually points out alot of the good about Cutler at the end, but most of it's shit. What I gather is that John Elway and John Lynch didn't like Cutler because both tried giving him unsolicited advice and he wasn't interested. Fine by me.

QuoteHe was looking at the TV. The whole time. With his baseball cap on backward.

His hat was.....BACKWARD?!

(grabs pitchfork, trots off to Halas Hall)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 13, 2011, 02:13:08 PM

QuoteHe was looking at the TV. The whole time. With his baseball cap on backward.

Worse than that, he kept checking the watch on his belt loop.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 13, 2011, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: R-V on January 13, 2011, 02:13:08 PM

Worse than that, he kept checking the watch on his belt loop.

Fuck Jay Cuntler!  The belt loop watch is my gimmick. 
M'lady.

Reuschels_Jowls

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 13, 2011, 08:38:48 AM

When Reno Hightower was a prick, he was the best QB in Kern County.

And the white shoes! Jesus, the white shoes! The only quarterback in the history of south Kern County to wear white shoes!

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
At least 2% of the desire that I have for the Bears to win the Super Bowl is built around the idea that Jay Cutler will pull a "Where's McCarver?" on Trent Dilfer immediately afterwards.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
David Huh? thinks the 2006 Bears would pwn this year's version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to note whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
Quote from: David Huh? on January 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM
That defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

And if a defense needs to create anything, it's feelings.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM
David Huh? thinks the 2006 Bears would pwn this year's version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to note whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

To continue from my reply on the other thread... I really think the 2006 offense vs. the 2010 offense as it is right now would actually be the 2010 offense with an edge in everything But the line. Cutler tops Grossman, Forte and Jones are more or less a wash, although I think Forte is actually an even better receiver. Jones was good out of the backfield, but Forte can actually split out and play as well as most slot receivers. I'd take Knox over Berrian as my deep threat and the Hester/Bennett/Aromashadu/Rashied Davis group beats out Stone Hands Muhammed/Where is Mark Bradley?/2006 Rashied. Olsen is a better matchup problem for defenses than Clark was, but Clark was a better blocker.

I just really got pissed at the insinuation that Cutler and Grossman had "basically the same year." I've been waiting for that simply because the counting stats ended up so similar. I mean Cutler's Adjusted YPA this year was 7.0. Rex's was 5.7. They're not even remotely close.