News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns  ( 25,880 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2006 Redux: Seattke Returns
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 14, 2011, 10:11:56 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 14, 2011, 09:15:25 AM
David Huh? thinks the 2006 Bears would pwn this year's version.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to note whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

To continue from my reply on the other thread... I really think the 2006 offense vs. the 2010 offense as it is right now would actually be the 2010 offense with an edge in everything But the line. Cutler tops Grossman, Forte and Jones are more or less a wash, although I think Forte is actually an even better receiver. Jones was good out of the backfield, but Forte can actually split out and play as well as most slot receivers. I'd take Knox over Berrian as my deep threat and the Hester/Bennett/Aromashadu/Rashied Davis group beats out Stone Hands Muhammed/Where is Mark Bradley?/2006 Rashied. Olsen is a better matchup problem for defenses than Clark was, but Clark was a better blocker.

I just really got pissed at the insinuation that Cutler and Grossman had "basically the same year." I've been waiting for that simply because the counting stats ended up so similar. I mean Cutler's Adjusted YPA this year was 7.0. Rex's was 5.7. They're not even remotely close.

Agreed with everything except the Olsen/Clark part. 2006 Desmond was better at all things tight end than Olsen is. Olsen may be a better athlete, but it doesn't really translate to much production-wise.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0114-bears-haugh-chicago--20110113,0,3415672.column

I liked the 2006 O-Line and really hope we can see Cutler working behind (||) a group that stout sometime soon. I think that unit alone gives that team a slight edge depending on when you make the comparison. To me it's important to note whether it's the '06 Bears pre/post Tommie Harris' injury. Before Tommie went down, this statement from Haugh rings true:

QuoteThat defense looked meaner, quicker and more feared and disruptive. It consistently created the feeling something big was about to happen because it generally did — and we'll always have the Dennis Green beer commercials to prove it.

But after? Pffft. This team would put points up against that playoff team. And Peppers would eat Grossman alive. Special Teams are obviously a wash. Coaching-wise? Fuck do I know?

To continue from my reply on the other thread... I really think the 2006 offense vs. the 2010 offense as it is right now would actually be the 2010 offense with an edge in everything But the line. Cutler tops Grossman, Forte and Jones are more or less a wash, although I think Forte is actually an even better receiver. Jones was good out of the backfield, but Forte can actually split out and play as well as most slot receivers. I'd take Knox over Berrian as my deep threat and the Hester/Bennett/Aromashadu/Rashied Davis group beats out Stone Hands Muhammed/Where is Mark Bradley?/2006 Rashied. Olsen is a better matchup problem for defenses than Clark was, but Clark was a better blocker.

I just really got pissed at the insinuation that Cutler and Grossman had "basically the same year." I've been waiting for that simply because the counting stats ended up so similar. I mean Cutler's Adjusted YPA this year was 7.0. Rex's was 5.7. They're not even remotely close.

Agreed with everything except the Olsen/Clark part. 2006 Desmond was better at all things tight end than Olsen is. Olsen may be a better athlete, but it doesn't really translate to much production-wise.

THI

I still get a semi when I see Dez blocking on the two Thomas Jones TDs in the NFC Championship.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 14, 2011, 11:39:01 AM
Quote from: R-V on January 14, 2011, 10:41:03 AM

THI

I still get a semi when I see Dez blocking on the two Thomas Jones TDs in the NFC Championship.

I didn't realize how truly awful Chester Taylor had been until Biggs pointed out that his 2.4 YPC was historically bad for someone with that many carries. If you look at his pre- and post-bye splits, it's even worse. He averaged 1.6 YPC after the bye when the line actually got better - compared to 4.9 for Forte. I think we can declare his career dead. What a wretched signing.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
DPD. Bob Legere delivers a beatdown to Rick Reilly.

QuoteAccording to ESPN.com's Rick Reilly, quarterback Jay Cutler is some kind of creep because he didn't idolize any NFL quarterbacks as a kid.

Maybe he had other, more worthy role models like his parents or a teacher.

Reilly rips Cutler because he doesn't have any endorsements and doesn't want any. Brilliant. Better he should be a money-grubbing shill, willing to endorse anything for a buck. What kind of a jerk focuses on doing his job at the expense of making easy money? How dare he?

And, according to Reilly, Cutler is misguided because he refuses to publicize his hospital visits to children, especially those who battle Type I diabetes just as he does. Apparently, in Reilly's world, it's nobler to draw attention to yourself for doing good deeds, rather than just doing them and not expecting anything in return.

Better Cutler should be like former Bear Ted Washington, a fat, mean-spirited, miserable excuse for a human being, who did the occasional United Way commercial but was a flaming heap of garbage the other 99 percent of the time.

Maybe Reilly was just salty because, after he had invested three hours of his time at Halas Hall, Cutler declined to bare his soul, get in touch with his inner child or explain in detail what it is that makes him tick.

Imagine the gall of Cutler not to genuflect and share with Reilly his innermost thoughts the moment he saw him. What was Cutler thinking? How could he be so arrogant? I mean, this was THE Rick Reilly. How could he dare not answer HIS questions.

Guy walks in off the street and wants to know how many people in the pressroom really know Cutler. Really? How well does anyone in the media or any fan know any of the Bears?

Does Cutler come off as arrogant and disinterested during press conferences? Absolutely. Does he have any use for the media? Doubtful. Does he fail to look people in the eyes when he's talking? Sometimes, maybe a lot of the time, but he's getting better.

Does he limit his accessibility to once a week and after the game? Yup. But he's not uncooperative. For the record, I've gotten a decent answer to every decent question I've ever asked Cutler.

But then again, I wasn't trying to psychoanalyze him, and I didn't have an agenda.

There is an arrogant horse's rear end in this story, but it isn't the Bears' quarterback.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »
Someday Jay is going to win this war for us.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 14, 2011, 12:20:43 PM
DPD. Bob Legere delivers a beatdown to Rick Reilly.

QuoteAccording to ESPN.com's Rick Reilly, quarterback Jay Cutler is some kind of creep because he didn't idolize any NFL quarterbacks as a kid.

Maybe he had other, more worthy role models like his parents or a teacher.

Reilly rips Cutler because he doesn't have any endorsements and doesn't want any. Brilliant. Better he should be a money-grubbing shill, willing to endorse anything for a buck. What kind of a jerk focuses on doing his job at the expense of making easy money? How dare he?

And, according to Reilly, Cutler is misguided because he refuses to publicize his hospital visits to children, especially those who battle Type I diabetes just as he does. Apparently, in Reilly's world, it's nobler to draw attention to yourself for doing good deeds, rather than just doing them and not expecting anything in return.

Better Cutler should be like former Bear Ted Washington, a fat, mean-spirited, miserable excuse for a human being, who did the occasional United Way commercial but was a flaming heap of garbage the other 99 percent of the time.

Maybe Reilly was just salty because, after he had invested three hours of his time at Halas Hall, Cutler declined to bare his soul, get in touch with his inner child or explain in detail what it is that makes him tick.

Imagine the gall of Cutler not to genuflect and share with Reilly his innermost thoughts the moment he saw him. What was Cutler thinking? How could he be so arrogant? I mean, this was THE Rick Reilly. How could he dare not answer HIS questions.

Guy walks in off the street and wants to know how many people in the pressroom really know Cutler. Really? How well does anyone in the media or any fan know any of the Bears?

Does Cutler come off as arrogant and disinterested during press conferences? Absolutely. Does he have any use for the media? Doubtful. Does he fail to look people in the eyes when he's talking? Sometimes, maybe a lot of the time, but he's getting better.

Does he limit his accessibility to once a week and after the game? Yup. But he's not uncooperative. For the record, I've gotten a decent answer to every decent question I've ever asked Cutler.

But then again, I wasn't trying to psychoanalyze him, and I didn't have an agenda.

There is an arrogant horse's rear end in this story, but it isn't the Bears' quarterback.
That was awesome.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »
Uh oh.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2011, 09:27:27 PM
Uh oh.

Meh. I'm not anymore afraid of Green Bay than I was before. Atlanta had an absolutely horrid game plan. You don't blitz Aaron Rodgers. You play Cover 2 all day and make him do it 10-12 plays at a time. It's why he's only averaged 17 points in his last 5 games against the Bears. You take away the deep ball and hope to God somebody drops a pass or gets a sack. Atlanta had a 2001 Bears vibe all god damn year. Bunch of close wins against not-so-great competition, very conservative play at QB, strong running game, a defense that doesn't get much pressure with its front four. They've lived on the edge and it's finally bit them. They got hammered by the Kevin Kolb-led Eagles the same way.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
Let's worry about the seahawks before we worry about the packers....because what I worry about matters. But I'm not worried. I'm pumped. I'm probably not going to sleep tonight. It's been too damn long since a bears playoff game damnit. I don't have a point other than bear the fuck down.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:02 PM »
Quote from: BC on January 15, 2011, 10:51:39 PM
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!

You obviously haven't been watching ESPN and Fox.

They pretty much said http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTfWOhDGifY

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!

(Table crumbles. Warm Dr. Pepper spills, soaks into off-white carpeting.)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 15, 2011, 11:24:01 PM
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 07:57:12 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 15, 2011, 11:57:51 PM
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS ANTS!

Old floozy'd

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 16, 2011, 07:57:12 AM
Quote from: Bort on January 15, 2011, 11:57:51 PM
(Pounds fist on table)

BEAT SEATTLE!

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS ANTS!

Old floozy'd

Do you want ants?  Because thats how you get ants.