News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Sandberg. Really?  ( 21,179 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Sandberg. Really?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 01:11:29 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2010, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: Night Man on June 25, 2010, 12:07:25 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 11:32:35 AM
Quote from: powen01 on June 25, 2010, 11:23:24 AM
I hate myself for saying this (and you will hate me too), but Tony LaRussa...  Thoughts?

I hate myself more than powen for saying this (and you will hate me more too), but the loser of the Ozzie Guillen-Kenny Williams power struggle. Thoughts?

If the choice is La Russa or Guillen, a million times La Russa.  I do not hate you.

If you want LaRussa, you need to be sure Balco is still in business.

Is BALCO still in business? Their two top client-managers are currently several games ahead of the Cubs in the NL Central.

Intrepid Reader: Joe Torre

I don't even make the top two any more?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
To get back on point, what kind of manager is Ryne Sandberg? He was my favorite player as a kid, and I have nothing personally against him. But what kind of manager is he? Andy kind of touched on it last year. We know he gets kicked out of a lot of games. We know he sells tickets. We know he talks a good game about "fundamentals" and "playing the right way." (Does any manager advocate sloppy play and doing things the "wrong way?")

But how does he handle his bench? Pitchers and bullpen? Do players enjoy playing for him? Now that he's in Iowa, he gets to manage a few veterans (think: BOBBY SCALES, SAM FULD, Mark Johnson, Jeff Gray, Jason Dubois, Hoffpauir). What do they think of him?

If Sandberg's so great, why hasn't he set Jeff Samardzija on fire yet?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2010, 01:42:37 PM
To get back on point, what kind of manager is Ryne Sandberg? He was my favorite player as a kid, and I have nothing personally against him. But what kind of manager is he? Andy kind of touched on it last year. We know he gets kicked out of a lot of games. We know he sells tickets. We know he talks a good game about "fundamentals" and "playing the right way." (Does any manager advocate sloppy play and doing things the "wrong way?")

But how does he handle his bench? Pitchers and bullpen? Do players enjoy playing for him? Now that he's in Iowa, he gets to manage a few veterans (think: BOBBY SCALES, SAM FULD, Mark Johnson, Jeff Gray, Jason Dubois, Hoffpauir). What do they think of him?

Fucker keeps running through the sprinklers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

If his autobiography is any indication of his managerial style, then he'll be all too much akin to Dusty Baker.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he expressed a lot of shock and disappointment when the Trib let go Sutcliffe and Dawson, despite the fact that both were on the tail end of their careers (and indicative of a "my guys" mentality) among other concerning things.  Then again, I read his book during the worst of the Baker years, and maybe I was a little too sensitive to what I perceived to be DustySpeak. 
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 25, 2010, 02:19:23 PM

If his autobiography is any indication of his managerial style, then he'll be all too much akin to Dusty Baker.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he expressed a lot of shock and disappointment when the Trib let go Sutcliffe and Dawson, despite the fact that both were on the tail end of their careers (and indicative of a "my guys" mentality) among other concerning things.  Then again, I read his book during the worst of the Baker years, and maybe I was a little too sensitive to what I perceived to be DustySpeak. 

If I recall, he was also shocked that Doug Dascenzo wasn't made the starting centerfielder.

Of course, Barry Rozner collaborated on it, so who knows how much of it was actually Sandberg's thoughts.  The part where he says that Trent Yawney deserved Norris consideration in 1991 makes me suspicious.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »

He keeps sending to Chicago so that the Cubs set him on fire and Sandberg won't have to deal with him in 2011.  Duh.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »
Get ready for the Sandberg era!

QuotePiniella told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that he will finish managing this season, but won't take another managerial job afterwards. "I know that this will be my last managing job," Piniella said. "I do know that for a fact."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on July 07, 2010, 12:41:37 PM

QuotePiniella told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that he will finish managing this season, but won't take another managerial job afterwards. "I know that this will be my last managing job," Piniella said. "I do know that for a fact."

I don't think he ruled out an extension; he just won't start over elsewhere.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 07, 2010, 12:45:22 PM

Damn it, Brownie.  Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg is coming home to RESCUE THIS TEAM.  I bet the first thing he does is insist on reacquiring Mark DeRosa and Kerry Wood.  What do you have against HOPE?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
Quote from: Night Man on July 07, 2010, 02:53:06 PM

Damn it, Brownie.  Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg is coming home to RESCUE THIS TEAM.  I bet the first thing he does is insist on reacquiring Mark DeRosa and Kerry Wood.  What do you have against HOPE?

I hope he starts a mandatory stirrups policy.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »

He's going to hire Mark Grace as his hitting coach too.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 07, 2010, 03:44:11 PM

Well, at least I know I will have my summer's off for the forseeable future

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
Quote from: BBM on July 08, 2010, 01:12:04 PM

Why?  Do you operate a taxi service for drunk fat chicks?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 08, 2010, 01:13:46 PM

Intrepid Reader J. Walter Weatherman: Hi.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »
Quote from: MAD on July 08, 2010, 01:13:46 PM

For some reason I picture BBM (who, I'm sure, looks like the hot dog dude from The Simpsons) waiting outside of Grace's house all day.

"Lady, he's put my kids through college".