News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,050 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2685 on: May 29, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
Pen I can't tell if you're trolling here or if you're really having that hard of a time grasping what SKO is proposing.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2686 on: May 29, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 01:56:40 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2015, 01:54:07 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 01:51:10 PM
So in this scenario:

1-1 Tie, Cubs-Cardinals, Lance Lynn vs. Wada.

Wada puts the first two guys on in the top of the 5th, Matt Holliday comes up to bat.

In these types of scenarios Joe has pulled Wada/Hendricks all year long. I'm saying "let's put CJ Edwards in" and Pen's saying "let's try Travis Wood!" and somehow I'm the one insulting CJ Edwards.

So what do you do with Edwards the other 80% of the games? 
Hendricks has gone through the lineup 3 times each of his last 2 times out. 

Why do you hate Kyle Hendricks like a common Eli? 

Give me some innings/appearance comps for a 5th inning savior vs. an 8th/9th inning guy. 

You would use him like a situational reliever, like everyone else? You seem to think this is the only role I will accept for him. YOU are the one trying to say he HAS to be something like a traditional set up guy. I'm saying use him where he's most needed and sometimes squeeze two innings out of him because he's been pitching 2 at a time in Tennessee. They don't really have anyone else that could give them six outs in a high leverage situation regularly and if you say Travis Wood again I'm going to just write you off as drunk.

Maybe because it's the one you suggested and then spent 2 pages fighting for at the expense of other obvious high-leverage situations like the 8th or 9th inning?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2687 on: May 29, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2015, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 01:56:40 PM
So in this scenario:

Wada puts the first two guys on in the top of the 5th, Matt Holliday comes up to bat.

In these types of scenarios Joe has pulled Wada/Hendricks all year long. I'm saying "let's put CJ Edwards in" and Pen's saying "let's try Travis Wood!" and somehow I'm the one insulting CJ Edwards.

Give me some innings/appearance comps for a 5th inning savior vs. an 8th/9th inning guy. 

You would use him like a situational reliever, like everyone else? You seem to think this is the only role I will accept for him. YOU are the one trying to say he HAS to be something like a traditional set up guy. I'm saying use him where he's most needed and sometimes squeeze two innings out of him because he's been pitching 2 at a time in Tennessee. They don't really have anyone else that could give them six outs in a high leverage situation regularly and if you say Travis Wood again I'm going to just write you off as drunk.

Maybe because it's the one you suggested and then spent 2 pages fighting for at the expense of other obvious high-leverage situations like the 8th or 9th inning?

OK so it's the latter.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2688 on: May 29, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
So in this scenario:

Assuming Edwards is really good, you use him (or Rondon or Strop) as early as possible whenever you're in trouble, let the offense scores some runs, and then turn it over to Edwin Jackson/Travis Wood/Brian Schlitter for some three-run saves. Once Jackson/Wood/Schlitter have racked up said saves, trade them to some team that puts a premium on "established closers."

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2689 on: May 29, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 29, 2015, 02:00:51 PM
So in this scenario:

Assuming Edwards is really good, you use him (or Rondon or Strop) as early as possible whenever you're in trouble, let the offense scores some runs, and then turn it over to Edwin Jackson/Travis Wood/Brian Schlitter for some three-run saves. Once Jackson/Wood/Schlitter have racked up said saves, trade them to some team that puts a premium on "established closers."

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Okay, so Joe's pretty innovative, right? At least in baseball terms. 

Why do you think he doesn't deploy a method like this? 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2690 on: May 29, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2015, 02:04:29 PM
So in this scenario:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

See the thing is, he kinda has, with Grimm in the role that I'm suggesting for Edwards. Go look at the box score for Wada's first start vs the Padres, man.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2691 on: May 29, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 02:05:12 PM
So in this scenario:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

See the thing is, he kinda has, with Grimm in the role that I'm suggesting for Edwards. Go look at the box score for Wada's first start vs the Padres, man.

Grimm has actually done it both times for Wada. 

Why are you trying to steal Grimm's role and give it CJ Edwards?

Why do you hate Justin Grimm?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2692 on: May 29, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2015, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 02:05:12 PM
So in this scenario:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Grimm has actually done it both times for Wada.  

Why are you trying to steal Grimm's role and give it CJ Edwards?

Why do you hate Justin Grimm?

Becuase if you have Edwards to fill that role and get you to the 7th, you can hand the ball in the 7th to Grimm/Strop/Rondon from the 7th-9th. Jason Motte in this case becomes solely a mop up guy or a guy to eat innings when you're up by 3+ runs, Travis Wood is murdered in his sleep, and Edwin Jackson is your typical long relief/we're not winning this one guy.  

The argument for Edwards being the guy you bring in first over Grimm is that this guy is almost always coming in with someone on base, becuase Joe at least tries to let the starter get through the third time in the order. Edwards, with his absurd K rates, would be the best guy to strand runners with.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2693 on: May 29, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »
If Wada's in a close game and about to face a righty in his third turn and he looks like he usually does, you look down at your list of relievers and you pick the best one for the situation you've got. That might be C.J. Fucking Edwards. Or maybe C.J threw two innings the day before and one inning the day before that and he's in tennis shoes today. You're gonna pick another guy who isn't Brian Schlitter. Let's call him Neil Ramirez. Or let's call him Travis Wood.

What you don't want to do is save Edwards for the Wada start if you need him the two days prior. I think we all agree that we want the best pitcher available in a high leverage situation. Calling a guy and 8th or 9th inning guy is antiquated. Calling a guy Wada's Caddie is dumber than a Phil Rogers, Al Yellon, Gordo think tank.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2694 on: May 29, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 29, 2015, 02:13:17 PM
If Wada's in a close game and about to face a righty in his third turn and he looks like he usually does, you look down at your list of relievers and you pick the best one for the situation you've got. That might be C.J. Fucking Edwards. Or maybe C.J threw two innings the day before and one inning the day before that and he's in tennis shoes today. You're gonna pick another guy who isn't Brian Schlitter. Let's call him Neil Ramirez. Or let's call him Travis Wood.

What you don't want to do is save Edwards for the Wada start if you need him the two days prior. I think we all agree that we want the best pitcher available in a high leverage situation. Calling a guy and 8th or 9th inning guy is antiquated. Calling a guy Wada's Caddie is dumber than a Phil Rogers, Al Yellon, Gordo think tank.

No argument here.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2695 on: May 29, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
So in this scenario:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Why are you deploying this as your argument?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2696 on: May 29, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »

Truth. I guess the most general way to say it is that Edwards seems like the best candidate to both strand inherited runners AND pitch multiple innings, and that's a nice thing to have, regardless of which innings you're asking him to pitch and who started that day.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2697 on: May 29, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 29, 2015, 02:15:59 PM

Truth. I guess the most general way to say it is that Edwards seems like the best candidate to both strand inherited runners AND pitch multiple innings, and that's a nice thing to have, regardless of which innings you're asking him to pitch and who started that day.

Considering this guy has never faced a batter in a big league game, I'm going to deploy the "Slow down, Cowboy" argument, and see how this all plays out.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2698 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 29, 2015, 02:20:12 PM

Considering this guy has never faced a batter in a big league game, I'm going to deploy the "Slow down, Cowboy" argument, and see how this all plays out.

Well the natural caveat is that he has to actually prove it. But if those minor league K numbers translate and he's 2007 Carlos Marmol you can bet your ass I want him in the highest of the high leverage situations.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2699 on: May 29, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 29, 2015, 02:20:12 PM

*Adds Apex to list with Eli and SKO of "Guys that Hate CJ Edwards*