News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME  ( 81,224 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 07, 2009, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 07, 2009, 11:29:03 AM
Anyone know of any benefits to preordering this game? I've found that you never seem to be in jeopardy of not getting a game if you don't preorder, so that's not what I'm looking for. Mainly just curious if there are any special deals to be had by preordering.

Since this game will probably be the best seller of all time, you might want to preorder just so you will be guaranteed a copy on release day.  If you care that much.

I highly doubt he's going to have a problem finding a copy of the game when it's released.  It used to be that way with some of the huge titles because they never shipped enough, but nowadays the only ones you will find sold out are limited releases like the Beatles: Rock Band Special Edition.  Every store that sells video games is going to have like 300 copies of MW2.

I know some places offer pre-order specials, but for MW2, the most you'll find is a t-shirt or something like that.  Some other games have exclusive deals with Gamestop or another company to offer DLC only if you pre-order there, but MW2 isn't one of them.  The only real reason you'd need to pre-order is if you want one of the limited editions of the game, or if a store has a special on pre-orders.  I know a couple weeks ago, Best Buy had a deal where you get $10 off any game $30 or over with a pre-order.  Amazon is running the same thing right now.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 07, 2009, 01:13:20 PM
Anyone know of any benefits to preordering this game? I've found that you never seem to be in jeopardy of not getting a game if you don't preorder, so that's not what I'm looking for. Mainly just curious if there are any special deals to be had by preordering.

Since this game will probably be the best seller of all time, you might want to preorder just so you will be guaranteed a copy on release day.  If you care that much.

I highly doubt he's going to have a problem finding a copy of the game when it's released.  It used to be that way with some of the huge titles because they never shipped enough, but nowadays the only ones you will find sold out are limited releases like the Beatles: Rock Band Special Edition.  Every store that sells video games is going to have like 300 copies of MW2.

I know some places offer pre-order specials, but for MW2, the most you'll find is a t-shirt or something like that.  Some other games have exclusive deals with Gamestop or another company to offer DLC only if you pre-order there, but MW2 isn't one of them.  The only real reason you'd need to pre-order is if you want one of the limited editions of the game, or if a store has a special on pre-orders.  I know a couple weeks ago, Best Buy had a deal where you get $10 off any game $30 or over with a pre-order.  Amazon is running the same thing right now.

Contrarian.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 07, 2009, 01:13:20 PM

It wasn't even hard to find the Beatles special edition.  There were dozens of them in Best Buy on release day.
Hire Jim Essian!

Felix Heredia

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 08:24:51 PM »
The only reason to pre-order any game is if you want a special edition. Halo 3 was easily available if you wanted the basic edition. For some stupid reason, I really thought the Legendary Edition was going to be worth it. It wasn't, and for that matter no special editions are worth it.

Anyways, I'm super excited for MW2.

Felix Heredia

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Also, IGN has a preview of some handguns and micro SMGs.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1032917p1.html

In general, it's a filler article having guys splooge over handguns like they use it in real life. The .44 Magnum is a nice addition, that's pure man-shit.

I'll be interested to see how the Akimbo Perk works out in multiplayer. I can't imagine many players wanting to dual-yield in COD4, and depending on the maps presented in MW2, what would be the point?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
Well, when I picked up OpFlashpoint, the guy at Gamestop scared me into preordering it by telling me that they have 400+ reserves at their location alone. Oh well

Felix Heredia

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 07, 2009, 08:51:52 PM
Well, when I picked up OpFlashpoint, the guy at Gamestop scared me into preordering it by telling me that they have 400+ reserves at their location alone. Oh well

GameStop puts too much into pre-ordering, probably because they are struggling so hard they would the early revenue stream prior to applying any costs. I'm sure stores that don't put so much emphasis on it like Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Target will have plenty.

Anyway, I'm off work the whole week of the release, so I'll be down for some gaming.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »
Quote from: Felix Heredia on October 07, 2009, 09:02:04 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 07, 2009, 08:51:52 PM

GameStop puts too much into pre-ordering, probably because they are struggling so hard they would the early revenue stream prior to applying any costs. I'm sure stores that don't put so much emphasis on it like Best Buy, Wal-Mart or Target will have plenty.

Anyway, I'm off work the whole week of the release, so I'll be down for some gaming.

They've pushed pre-orders for years.  It's just a way to "guarantee" money.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 07:42:56 AM »
The only money that's guaranteed is the $5 restocking fee if you don't claim your preorder 48 hours after release.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 08, 2009, 07:42:56 AM
The only money that's guaranteed is the $5 restocking fee if you don't claim your preorder 48 hours after release.

That's why I put "guaranteed" in quotes.  They (Gamestop at least) want you to pre-order games because they can look at it like a full game sale weeks or months in advance.  I used to work there, and other than used games, there's nothing they push harder than pre-orders.  At the very least, it's like $5 permanently circulating in their system because people often pre-order another game when they pick up the one they had already.  And it must just be the retail chains like Best Buy/Target that have that re-stocking fee when you don't pick up a game.  Gamestop just keeps it in their system.  I had a Halo 3 pre-order still in my name like a year after it came out and I just put it towards some other game I bought one day when I went in.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 08, 2009, 08:31:49 AM

That's why I put "guaranteed" in quotes.  They (Gamestop at least) want you to pre-order games because they can look at it like a full game sale weeks or months in advance.  I used to work there, and other than used games, there's nothing they push harder than pre-orders.  At the very least, it's like $5 permanently circulating in their system because people often pre-order another game when they pick up the one they had already.  And it must just be the retail chains like Best Buy/Target that have that re-stocking fee when you don't pick up a game.  Gamestop just keeps it in their system.  I had a Halo 3 pre-order still in my name like a year after it came out and I just put it towards some other game I bought one day when I went in.

Except maybe strategy guides.  I can't stand Gamestop.
Hire Jim Essian!

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 09:24:30 AM »

No, it's GameStop too, homes.  From their website:

QuoteYou will be required to remit payment at the store, at the time of pick up. We will not charge your credit card online for any in-store pick-up order. Please bring payment and identification in the form of either a copy of your order confirmation, a valid driver's license or other government issued identification. If you do not pick up the product within 48 hours of notification, we reserve the right to charge your credit card a $5.00 re-stocking fee.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 08, 2009, 09:24:30 AM

No, it's GameStop too, homes.  From their website:

QuoteYou will be required to remit payment at the store, at the time of pick up. We will not charge your credit card online for any in-store pick-up order. Please bring payment and identification in the form of either a copy of your order confirmation, a valid driver's license or other government issued identification. If you do not pick up the product within 48 hours of notification, we reserve the right to charge your credit card a $5.00 re-stocking fee.

Then that must be for online pre-orders only.  They just keep it in their system when you pre-order in-store.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »
I think we're missing the point:  we're complete dorklosers arguing over GameStop policy.  And, this game is going to be titty steaks awesome.  So, Yeti, preorder if you want.  There's no real advantage other than getting a special edition or a code for a gun, which isn't necessarily gauranteed to be a gimmick by Infinity Ward just yet.  And, if they do offer codes and such, chances are you'll find all such codes on the teh interwebs.

Post 1907.  Wow.  I suck.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 08, 2009, 09:35:25 AM
I think we're missing the point:  we're complete dorklosers arguing over GameStop policy.  And, this game is going to be titty steaks awesome.  So, Yeti, preorder if you want.  There's no real advantage other than getting a special edition or a code for a gun, which isn't necessarily gauranteed to be a gimmick by Infinity Ward just yet.  And, if they do offer codes and such, chances are you'll find all such codes on the teh interwebs.

Post 1907.  Wow.  I suck.

No real advantage, you say?