News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,944 )

LoneStarCubFan

Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 23, 2009, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on April 23, 2009, 03:35:09 PM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 23, 2009, 03:25:24 PM
Joey Votto just went yard off Cotts.  Why is he still on the roster?

Because the Reds really like his upside.

Oh, wait...

No, you're correct.  I'm sure the Reds are exstatic about the upside of Cotts being on the Cubs.

I really wish Lou would just go ahead and beat Cotts to death with his bare hands. I know he wants to.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »
Samardzija getting rocked in the 9th.

Embarrassing getting beat two out of three by this team. Four of the eight regulars are/were hitting under .200.

This team needs to wake the fuck up.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 03:56:59 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on April 23, 2009, 03:55:52 PM

Embarrassing getting beat two out of three by this team. Four of the eight regulars are/were hitting under .200.

It's April.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 03:56:59 PM

It's April.

They'll be 8-6 after this loss.  That only puts them on pace for 93 wins.  PANIC, Mike.  Embrace it.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 23, 2009, 04:00:32 PM

It's April.

They'll be 8-6 after this loss.  That only puts them on pace for 93 wins.  PANIC, Mike.  Embrace it.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
I'm merely asking why Neal Cotts is still on any Major League roster, let alone the Cubs.  I think that's a completely sane complaint.  I don't expect them to go 162-0.  While I hate shitty performances like the turds they laid the past two games, that happens to the best of them.  Look at the Yankees.  They have been atrocious, but you know that they'll be more than in the thick if things later on.

Like Mike said...it's April.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2009, 04:13:19 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:09:27 PM

It's April.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time for a century?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
I heartily endorse tarring and feathering Neal Cotts, BTW.  April or no April, that guy sucks the chrome off a trailer hitch.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
I don't see any "panic" in my observations, either. It's a little more like "anger". Why shouldn't people be pissed to lose to a team in Wrigley with four of eight regulars hitting under .200 and Dusty managing? Another "lackluster" game as Lou just called it. And he's seen enough of Hoff-Power in RF, announcing that when Bradley doesn't play, he's going with Reed Johnson in CF and Fooky in right.

And is it panic to point out that the reigning Rookie of the Year is 3-30 with NO extra-base hits?
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:15:46 PM
I heartily endorse tarring and feathering Neal Cotts, BTW.  April or no April, that guy sucks the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Oh, bravo Mike.  WIN.

Quote from: Dave B on April 23, 2009, 04:17:29 PM
I don't see any "panic" in my observations, either. It's a little more like "anger". Why shouldn't people be pissed to lose to a team in Wrigley with four of eight regulars hitting under .200 and Dusty managing? Another "lackluster" game as Lou just called it. And he's seen enough of Hoff-Power in RF, announcing that when Bradley doesn't play, he's going with Reed Johnson in CF and Fooky in right.

And is it panic to point out that the reigning Rookie of the Year is 3-30 with NO extra-base hits?

But, Dave.  Seriously, it's April.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?

Actually, last year was worse in this regard.

Nevertheless...
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2009, 04:25:19 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on April 23, 2009, 04:13:19 PM

It's April.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time for a century?

1) I meant baseball teams in general, Bonk.  Look up all of those Yankees teams through the years and you'll be sure to find some bad stretches in each of their championship seasons.  Better yet, look at Lou's 2001 Mariners, who hardly did have any of these bad stretches during their season, sparing their fans the trauma of passing out on the gutless fucking fainting couch.  Would you rather the Cubs spare you any angst and play flawlessly during the season and then peter out in the postseason?  Would that be something you'd be interested in?

2)  What does 100 years have to do with your fandom anyway?  I'm 37 so I'm only carrying baggage from 1979.  If anyone has a right to be pissed, it's Stew.  Sadly, he's probably got more perspective than half of this fucking fanbase.

Same dude struck out like 30 times one weekend in Washington last year, no?  I'll panic when Soto's still batting .100 by Memorial Day.  

As for losing to a team with half their batters batting below .200...well that just backs up my point, it being April, and the fact that many of those guys are not .200 hitters.  They were going to warm up sooner or later, the timing just worked out so that it happened against the Cubs.

You'll remember that the Reds nearly took the season series from the Cubs last year, and the Cubs still won 97 games.  Pace yourselves.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »

It's April.

Seriously.  Is it me or have people gotten more and more impatient earlier and earlier every year?  I don't know where people get off expecting this team to play flawless baseball every day for 6 months.  Have most of you not been watching this sport your whole lives?  Do you really expect them to go through a whole season without playing like shit from time to time?

Maybe it's because there is so much more coverage now with the interwebs and sportstalk radio and the booyahs nitpicking over every pitch whether it's April or October.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:25:19 PM

It's April.

1) I meant baseball teams in general, Bonk.  Look up all of those Yankees teams through the years and you'll be sure to find some bad stretches in each of their championship seasons.  Better yet, look at Lou's 2001 Mariners, who hardly did have any of these bad stretches during their season, sparing their fans the trauma of passing out on the gutless fucking fainting couch.  Would you rather the Cubs spare you any angst and play flawlessly during the season and then peter out in the postseason?  Would that be something you'd be interested in?

2)  What does 100 years have to do with your fandom anyway?  I'm 37 so I'm only carrying baggage from 1979.  If anyone has a right to be pissed, it's Stew.  Sadly, he's probably got more perspective than half of this fucking fanbase.

Same dude struck out like 30 times one weekend in Washington last year, no?  I'll panic when Soto's still batting .100 by Memorial Day.  

As for losing to a team with half their batters batting below .200...well that just backs up my point, it being April, and the fact that many of those guys are not .200 hitters.  They were going to warm up sooner or later, the timing just worked out so that it happened against the Cubs.

You'll remember that the Reds nearly took the season series from the Cubs last year, and the Cubs still won 97 games.  Pace yourselves.

THIS. Also, the Reds who did the major damage in this series (Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Harang) aren't exactly slouches, so it's not as if they got beat by the Jerry Hairstons and other slapdicks on the team.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 23, 2009, 04:25:19 PM

It's April.

Yeah, I agree, but that's why people are pissed. Still angry about the awe-inspiring dump that the Cubs have taken in the playoffs the last two years.

That and I really, really like using the strike function.