News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,944 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #360 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
Quote from: RV on June 24, 2009, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: Slak on June 24, 2009, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: MAD on June 24, 2009, 12:03:20 AM
Gregg's blown like 3 or 4 of these games.  Most of your run-of-the-mill closers will blow about 6 to 8 of these games in a season.  Kevin Gregg is not elite--hell, he has to have his mittens pinned to his jacket in the winter--but  he's actually performed about what you'd expect out of a guy who's not the Fruitbat, not KRod, not the claymation version of Burl Ives from "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" (C'mon, work with me here).  He's certainly no worse than Kerry Wood.  This game sucked, but I'm-a-going to refrain from calling for this tard's head just yet.

Huard you beautiful bastard.

Huey is an idiot. How dare he not call for the tard to be tard and feathered. The guy had the nerve to blow a save after being the Cubs best reliever this month. And he's right around 80% in converting save opportunities, about what you'd expect from an average closer. What a gutless asshole.

Edited to note that morph already covered Tardface's acceptable averageness in the Gregg thread.

This.  If this was the Hockee thread I would also point out that the Cubs are still +2 for the week when it comes to last at-bat decisions.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
Quote from: Andy on June 24, 2009, 09:40:42 AM
I think the only reason Huey isn't calling for Gregg's head is the sheer size of it.  Holy crap, you'd need a semi to haul that thing home.

Between he and Hoffpauer, there's enough cranium to cover North America.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 24, 2009, 11:17:07 AM
Quote from: Andy on June 24, 2009, 09:40:42 AM
I think the only reason Huey isn't calling for Gregg's head is the sheer size of it.  Holy crap, you'd need a semi to haul that thing home.

Between he and Hoffpauer, there's enough cranium to cover North America.

Yeah, but they could still share Kevin Mench's hat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
Quote from: RV on June 24, 2009, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: Slak on June 24, 2009, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: MAD on June 24, 2009, 12:03:20 AM
Gregg's blown like 3 or 4 of these games.  Most of your run-of-the-mill closers will blow about 6 to 8 of these games in a season.  Kevin Gregg is not elite--hell, he has to have his mittens pinned to his jacket in the winter--but  he's actually performed about what you'd expect out of a guy who's not the Fruitbat, not KRod, not the claymation version of Burl Ives from "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" (C'mon, work with me here).  He's certainly no worse than Kerry Wood.  This game sucked, but I'm-a-going to refrain from calling for this tard's head just yet.

Huard you beautiful bastard.

Huey is an idiot. How dare he not call for the tard to be tard and feathered. The guy had the nerve to blow a save after being the Cubs best reliever this month. And he's right around 80% in converting save opportunities, about what you'd expect from an average closer. What a gutless asshole.

Edited to note that morph already covered Tardface's acceptable averageness in the Gregg thread.

I dunno. I have it on pretty (literally) high authority that last night someone who looks and sounds like Huard wanted to pitch to a batsman with two outs, first base open and runners at second and third. The runner at third was the game-winner but this dude needed an intervention in order to set up the force at any base. He ended up getting the grounder he needed too. Too bad the fucker had eyes. 

HUARD!!!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
It'd be nice if The Closer of the Future would stop walking a guy or two every goddamn time he pitches.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: June 26, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »
Nice work from Gregg today.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on June 26, 2009, 05:41:03 PM
Nice work from Gregg today.

Well that's not very angsty.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: June 27, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »
It's not often that I first-guess Lou, but he should've left Marshall in to walk Nix and face the Eurotrash futball player.  As soon as he brought the Ass Can in, I knew it was over.

In fact, I'd rather have Patton, Vizcaino, Samardakljdsa, LaTroy, Mercker, and perhaps Aaron Miles pitching in that spot before the Ass Can.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: June 27, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on June 27, 2009, 07:38:48 PM
It's not often that I first-guess Lou, but he should've left Marshall in to walk Nix and face the Eurotrash futball player.  As soon as he brought the Ass Can in, I knew it was over.

In fact, I'd rather have Patton, Vizcaino, Samardakljdsa, LaTroy, Mercker, and perhaps Aaron Miles pitching in that spot before the Ass Can.

Lou never should have had to make that decision, because there's absolutely no reason Scott Podsednik should be able to do what he did today.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: June 27, 2009, 08:02:13 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on June 27, 2009, 07:42:00 PM

Lou never should have had to make that decision, because there's absolutely no reason Scott Podsednik should be able to do what he did today.

This.

I'd rather have Gas Can in before most of the bullpen, although I agree Marshall should have stayed in.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: June 27, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »

Yeah--that, and Marmol finally pitches a good inning and gets victimized with two bullshit seeing-eye singles on good pitches.

I don't even have any sort of rabid disdain for the Ass Can like I do for LaTroy...it's just that I think he really sucks.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: June 28, 2009, 09:00:25 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 27, 2009, 08:02:13 PM

This.

I'd rather have Gas Can in before most of the bullpen, although I agree Marshall should have stayed in.

I thought you liked Marshall. He had seen action in 7 of the past 8 games. You think he's made of rubber? Jeeziss. 

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: June 29, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 28, 2009, 09:00:25 AM

This.

I thought you liked Marshall. He had seen action in 7 of the past 8 games. You think he's made of rubber? Jeeziss. 

And in truly awesome Seanbearpig fashion, he'd only thrown about 12 pitches in those 7 appearances.
Hire Jim Essian!

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: June 29, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 29, 2009, 11:05:49 AM

This.

And in truly awesome Seanbearpig fashion, he'd only thrown about 12 pitches in those 7 appearances.

Only 12? That's amazing.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: June 29, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on June 29, 2009, 06:52:21 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 29, 2009, 11:05:49 AM

This.

Only 12? That's amazing.

Well, he is amazing.