News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,479 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 22, 2016, 10:39:29 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 22, 2016, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on April 22, 2016, 07:54:50 AM
The Cubs run differential this season is very nearly double that of the second best in all of baseball. Last year, for as good as they were, they were only +81 runs. This year they are already at +60. Of course, it's very early.

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBP/status/723333303542009857

There are 14 teams in the league right now that have scored 60 runs total or less, including the Royals and White Sox, two of the three best records in the AL. What's even more insane is that the Cubs have allowed fewer runs than any team but the Nationals, who have allowed 37 runs in 15 games vs the Cubs 36 in 16. The Cubs lead MLB in ERA and Runs Scored.

Theo Epstein is a fucking God.

You are suggesting there are other Gods but Theo. Heresy!

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
With sophomores, you always worry about whether or not they will adjust and improve or have a shitty second year. I admit I'm feeling a bit concerned about Addison, who admittedly is hitting balls hard. But the amazing thing about this team is that, with their offensive capabilities, there has to be close to zero stress on Russell to hit. The team isn't counting on his bat, so he can work out his druthers without feeling scrutinized/pressured. And sooner or later, I'm certain he'll begin hitting well again. It's kind of refreshing to not have to worry, even if worry is understandable.
M'lady.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 22, 2016, 11:39:15 AM
With sophomores, you always worry about whether or not they will adjust and improve or have a shitty second year. I admit I'm feeling a bit concerned about Addison, who admittedly is hitting balls hard. But the amazing thing about this team is that, with their offensive capabilities, there has to be close to zero stress on Russell to hit. The team isn't counting on his bat, so he can work out his druthers without feeling scrutinized/pressured. And sooner or later, I'm certain he'll begin hitting well again. It's kind of refreshing to not have to worry, even if worry is understandable.

Worry really isn't needed though. He's striking out less and walking more than last year. His hard/medium/soft contact % are all about the same as last year, and he's making more contact. His BABIP is just .231 this year vs .324 last year. He's showing all of the signs of an improved player, he's got shit luck right now. He's going to be pretty good once those balls start to drop. And when he has better batted ball luck.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »
David Ross has matched last year's production in terms of homeruns hit, but more impressively, he's already scored more runs this year than he did all of last year, and in almost 1/10th the total of at bats.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

I still think Russell will show the greatest improvement this year and I still wouldn't be surprised if he's approaching Bryant/Rizzo levels by the end of it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 22, 2016, 12:05:15 PM

Worry really isn't needed though. He's striking out less and walking more than last year. His hard/medium/soft contact % are all about the same as last year, and he's making more contact. His BABIP is just .231 this year vs .324 last year. He's showing all of the signs of an improved player, he's got shit luck right now. He's going to be pretty good once those balls start to drop. And when he has better batted ball luck.

And, the whole 'sophomore slump' narrative is kind of weak to begin with.

I mean, I'm not going to tell Kurt or anyone else when to worry but I would suggest worrying about something that's actually a thing.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 22, 2016, 01:17:08 PM

I mean, I'm not going to tell Kurt or anyone else when to worry but I would suggest worrying about something that's actually a thing.

I just appreciate that you're giving any attention to a very "Krutty" post. "I'm a bit worried about Addison, but because the offense is so good we shouldn't be worried and it's a relief not to have to worry" is the gist of what I said.

I mean, I wrote it only a few hours ago and even I am not sure what the fuck I was talking about.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »

Yeah, I wonder how much of the sophomore slump thing just came from players that weren't actually good getting off to hot starts and then cooling down the next year. I mean Angel Berroa didn't have a sophomore slump, he was just bad. Same with Real ROTY Randal Grichuk.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: April 22, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 22, 2016, 01:28:14 PM

Yeah, I wonder how much of the sophomore slump thing just came from players that weren't actually good getting off to hot starts and then cooling down the next year. I mean Angel Berroa didn't have a sophomore slump, he was just bad. Same with Real ROTY Randal Grichuk.

Well, Geovany Soto.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »

Bob Hamelin, Joe Charboneau...
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 22, 2016, 01:51:48 PM

Bob Hamelin, Joe Charboneau...

Jerome Walton, Dwight Smith...

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on April 22, 2016, 01:33:48 PM

Well, Geovany Soto.

Walk rate increased, K rate decreased.  BABIP went from 332 in '08 to .246 in '09.  Most of his 'slump' was due to getting about 200 fewer PAs.  Other than BABIP, his biggest issue was that fewer of his FBs went over the fence.  If you want to call that a slump, fine.  However, the idea that he made adjustments or whatever is kind of mitigated by the fact that he walked and struck out at lightly better rates than his rookie year.

At least that's my take...

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 22, 2016, 02:16:51 PM

Well, Geovany Soto.

Walk rate increased, K rate decreased.  BABIP went from 332 in '08 to .246 in '09.  Most of his 'slump' was due to getting about 200 fewer PAs.  Other than BABIP, his biggest issue was that fewer of his FBs went over the fence.  If you want to call that a slump, fine.  However, the idea that he made adjustments or whatever is kind of mitigated by the fact that he walked and struck out at lightly better rates than his rookie year.

You could argue that his freshman campaign was a total fluke too.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 22, 2016, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: Oleg on April 22, 2016, 02:16:51 PM

Well, Geovany Soto.

You could argue that his freshman campaign was a total fluke too.

Yeah but he was arguably better in 2010. Dude had a weird career. I think he was prone to failing to stay in shape and thus he hit the ball with less authority in his bad years, and then he really started getting hit hard by injuries. I mean if I'm not mistaken his rookie year in 2008 he was 27 or 28, so he only had a year or two before he hit his decline phase anyway.