News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New .196-Hitting Overlord  ( 68,549 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Cubs Offseason: I, For One, Welcome Our New Vorpdonkey Overlord
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:23 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2010, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2010, 08:09:21 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2010, 07:51:39 AM

Sandberg will probably never get a shot at managing unless he leaves the Cubs, like Don Mattingly and the Yankees.

The minute you hire a manager, the clock is ticking down the minutes until you fire that manager.

Jim Hendry didn't want to have to be The Man Who Fired Ryne Sandberg.

You mean like Tony LaRussa in St. Lou?  Or Bobby Cox in Atlanta?

Every rule has exceptions. Don't forget Joe Torre (not tchnically fired) in New York.

Or sometimes there are so many exceptions that it was never actually a rule.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 20, 2010, 08:41:23 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2010, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: Tonker on October 20, 2010, 08:09:21 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2010, 07:51:39 AM

Sandberg will probably never get a shot at managing unless he leaves the Cubs, like Don Mattingly and the Yankees.

The minute you hire a manager, the clock is ticking down the minutes until you fire that manager.

Jim Hendry didn't want to have to be The Man Who Fired Ryne Sandberg.

You mean like Tony LaRussa in St. Lou?  Or Bobby Cox in Atlanta?

Every rule has exceptions. Don't forget Joe Torre (not tchnically fired) in New York.

Or sometimes there are so many exceptions that it was never actually a rule.

Baseball managers having long tenure vs. managers being fired? Really?

In the history of major league baseball, there have been a grand total of 91 managers with at least 10 years lifetime (not necessarily with the same team) out of 669.

I think 13% represents an exception to the rule.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
I don't think firing Ryne Sandberg entered into Hendry's decsion-making all that much. At this point, Hendry has to be pretty familiar with the concept of being unpopular with Cubs fans. I don't know a single Cubs fan who supports him now. No matter who the manager is, Hendry should know that his time here will be short and/or miserable if the team doesn't improve. I think Hendry saw, like most of us did, that Sandberg is kind of an intellectual lightweight with a fraction of the experience that other candidates had.

I hope Sandberg gets hired somewhere in the American League so I can root for that team.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 20, 2010, 09:20:20 AM
I don't think firing Ryne Sandberg entered into Hendry's decsion-making all that much. At this point, Hendry has to be pretty familiar with the concept of being unpopular with Cubs fans. I don't know a single Cubs fan who supports him now. No matter who the manager is, Hendry should know that his time here will be short and/or miserable if the team doesn't improve. I think Hendry saw, like most of us did, that Sandberg is kind of an intellectual lightweight with a fraction of the experience that other candidates had.

I hope Sandberg gets hired somewhere in the American League so I can root for that team.

If Hendry is counting being able to fire his current manager, he's got a hell of a lot more confidence in himself than the rest of us do.  Hendry will be lucky if he's around to fire Mike Quade.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »
I don't know a single Cubs fan who supports him now.

I support him for not giving in to the meatball hoard.  Now if he were to trade our morbidly obese centerfielder for pitching, our Streaky Japanese OF for some salary relief. Get Carl Crawford to man CF and Jim Thome.  I'd really support him.  However hendry isn't that smart and I will drive the Adam Dunn Hatercycle.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:52 AM »
Anyone else excited for the Rangers to finish off the Yankees and Girardi to leave for the Mets? Oh that will some spectacular gnashing of tooth.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:16 AM »
Quote from: BBM on October 20, 2010, 09:36:42 AM
I don't know a single Cubs fan who supports him now.

I support him for not giving in to the meatball hoard.  Now if he were to trade our morbidly obese centerfielder for pitching, our Streaky Japanese OF for some salary relief. Get Carl Crawford to man CF and Jim Thome.  I'd really support him.  However hendry isn't that smart and I will drive the Adam Dunn Hatercycle.

(||)

And are the Cubs moving to the AL or is the DH coming to the NL. Thome? Yikes.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 20, 2010, 09:34:25 AM

If Hendry is counting being able to fire his current manager, he's got a hell of a lot more confidence in himself than the rest of us do.  Hendry will be lucky if he's around to fire Mike Quade.

I hope so. However, it's looking like the dopey Cubs' ownership is in love with Hendry and that we maybe be stuck with Jimbo for at least two more seasons.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 20, 2010, 09:53:26 AM
Quote from: CT III on October 20, 2010, 09:34:25 AM

I hope so. However, it's looking like the dopey Cubs' ownership is in love with Hendry and that we maybe be stuck with Jimbo for at least two more seasons.

That does appear to be the case, though, they'd probably shitcan both if the Cubs fail to improve.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »

Grow your staches and get feather cuts boys, we're heading back to the 70s.

Even if Hendry gets axed (I'm guessing against it), will any of it matter with Kenney at the helm?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:01 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 20, 2010, 09:47:16 AM
Quote from: BBM on October 20, 2010, 09:36:42 AM

(||)

And are the Cubs moving to the AL or is the DH coming to the NL. Thome? Yikes.

well considering Adam Dunn is the defacto number one FA target.  I'm guessing defense isn't a big priority.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Quote from: BBM on October 20, 2010, 10:01:01 AM
well considering Adam Dunn is the defacto number one FA target.  I'm guessing defense isn't a big priority.

Thome's defense at first would make the Donkey look like a Gold Glover.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »
Why would the Cubs pay for Carl Crawford? What a complete waste of money.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:50 AM »

TJ mode:

Brewers hire Joey Cora from White Sox.

Ozzie Guilen hires Ryne Sandberg as bench coach.

Guillen quits mid year to become full time Twiiter spokesperson.

Sandberg promoted to manager of the White Sox.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 20, 2010, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: BBM on October 20, 2010, 10:01:01 AM

Thome's defense at first would make the Donkey look like a Gold Glover.

He'd come cheaper too and play far fewer error-filled games due to injury.