News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 139,492 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 30, 2014, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 30, 2014, 01:50:14 PM
No way they hold Bryant back another 12 months. They'll bring up Baez in the next few weeks, and Bryant shows up before the end of the season. And we'll see their smiling faces on every piece of marketing the Cubs push out between now and Opening Day 2015. Even if the Ricketti want to operate on the cheap, two guys like this can move a fuckload of tickets next year.

Is this consensus?

I know he's been hitting well the last couple of weeks, and that super two status will pass, but he sure doesn't seem ready yet.  

From the start I've been counting more on July in terms of Super Two safety.

But is there any way to estimate at this point where the cut-off date will fall with any certainty whatsoever?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
Back to the topic - just for shits, let's use Longoria as a comp for Bryant and Trout as a comp for Baez. Not because these guys will be that good or will be similar hitters, but just for similar age/experience profiles.

Longoria had 881 minor league plate appearances before he was called up - he had a walk rate of 11% and a K rate of 18%.

Bryant has only logged 372 minor league PAs and has a walk rate of 11% and a K rate of 26%.

His OBA is 40 points higher than Longoria's was, and his SLG is a ridiculous 150 points or so higher, so with that production you can absolutely live with that K rate. But it's not ridiculous to think another couple hundred minor league appearances are in order just to see some more pitching and work on that K rate.

Trout had 1312 minor league PAs before his call up - he had a walk rate of 12% and a K rate of 16%

Baez has almost 1,100 minor league PAs so far, but his walk rate is a Castro-esque 7% and his K rate is a Mark Reynolds-esque 34%.

So from both an experience standpoint and a for the love of Christ get that K-rate down standpoint, not crazy to think he could benefit from a couple hundred more minor league PAs. Obviously we can't hope that Baez will be the same type of hitter that Trout is - he is historically good - but that K rate is still troublesome even with the prodigious power that he's shown.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2014, 01:24:28 AM »
Bump, MASSIVE DONG.  God, he's dreamy.

One thing's for sure: he's not going to be facing too many LH RP in his career: .412/.512/.824/1.336 vs lefties this year.

EDIT: Now with video for extra splooge.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 02, 2014, 01:24:28 AM
Bump, MASSIVE DONG.  God, he's dreamy.

One thing's for sure: he's not going to be facing too many LH RP in his career: .412/.512/.824/1.336 vs lefties this year.

EDIT: Now with video for extra splooge.

IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2014, 01:32:38 AM »
Number 19.   I know it's only AA, but this is getting ridiculous - it's an onslaught.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 04, 2014, 01:32:38 AM
Number 19.   I know it's only AA, but this is getting ridiculous - it's an onslaught.

It really is insane. I'm almost surprised when there's a night he doesn't homer.

I don't really get why they need to see him dominate "a little bit longer" before moving him up. as Hoyer said yesterday. What happens if he's merely mortal for the next few weeks? Does he then stay in AA for the rest of the year or do they move him up anyway?

It's not that big of a deal, but it sort of seems like they're just killing time at this point. Or setting things up so he'll begin next year in AAA (guh).

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »

Seriously, on a curveball away. Hard to tell, but looks like it may have been off the plate, even.

Fuck it. Just bring him up.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:29 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 08:47:21 AM

It really is insane. I'm almost surprised when there's a night he doesn't homer.

I don't really get why they need to see him dominate "a little bit longer" before moving him up. as Hoyer said yesterday. What happens if he's merely mortal for the next few weeks? Does he then stay in AA for the rest of the year or do they move him up anyway?

It's not that big of a deal, but it sort of seems like they're just killing time at this point. Or setting things up so he'll begin next year in AAA (guh).

One issue is that they have a decent prospect, Christian Villanueva, playing third at Triple A. At some point the cubs are going to need to move some of their players to free up positions for other players.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
Quote from: BH on June 04, 2014, 09:01:29 AM

One issue is that they have a decent prospect, Christian Villanueva, playing third at Triple A. At some point the cubs are going to need to move some of their players to free up positions for other players.

Villanueva can go stand in left field or sit on the bench or take up golf. His presence at third shouldn't be blocking Bryant from moving up.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

With Bryant I'm not sure any of that matters. I also don't think you'll hear Jepstink say something to the assembled press like "We're blown away by this dude. He's way better than we thought and we will call him up to the big leagues at the first opportunity."

I think they know what they have and I'm not worried about the worst case - you know the AAA ball next season.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »

Just because Hoyer said that doesn't mean it's the reason. But if it is, it could be that they want him to gain more confidence before exposing him to AAA breaking pitches. His K-rate would likely increase. So he could be working on one particular thing, which we aren't privy to because we're not coaches in the Cubs minor league system, and when they're satisfied he's ready, they'll move him to the next level and let him adjust from there. That might be a better way to develop prospects, than, I don't know, looking at internet videos of his home runs and declaring him ready for the next level (or two!). It's also a better way to do it than to look at the MLB standings and home ticket sales and declaring guys ready to produce before they've developed in areas where they're deficient.

We have to trust that Theo and Co. will move guys up when they're ready and not when we think they are. How many times have we been down this road with guys who didn't pan out? I'd say a handful. And the same fucking assholes will kill that prospect and that front office when they don't live up to the hype.

Relax and have a fucking beer. The NBA Finals are about to start.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 04, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

With Bryant I'm not sure any of that matters. I also don't think you'll hear Jepstink say something to the assembled press like "We're blown away by this dude. He's way better than we thought and we will call him up to the big leagues at the first opportunity."

I think they know what they have and I'm not worried about the worst case - you know the AAA ball next season.

Villanueva isn't blocking anyone, neither is Olt. But they could be interesting trade pieces, which are worth a lot less if the cubs just bench them every day.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
Quote from: BH on June 04, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
Quote from: Slaky on June 04, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

Villanueva isn't blocking anyone, neither is Olt. But they could be interesting trade pieces, which are worth a lot less if the cubs just bench them every day.

Also THI
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 09:07:29 AM
it could be that they want him to gain more confidence before exposing him to AAA breaking pitches

What is he supposed to do to get more confidence at this point? Win an Oscar, develop a cure for cancer and win the NBA Finals MVP while starting at small forward for the Spurs?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 09:07:29 AM

Just because Hoyer said that doesn't mean it's the reason. But if it is, it could be that they want him to gain more confidence before exposing him to AAA breaking pitches. His K-rate would likely increase. So he could be working on one particular thing, which we aren't privy to because we're not coaches in the Cubs minor league system, and when they're satisfied he's ready, they'll move him to the next level and let him adjust from there. That might be a better way to develop prospects, than, I don't know, looking at internet videos of his home runs and declaring him ready for the next level (or two!). It's also a better way to do it than to look at the MLB standings and home ticket sales and declaring guys ready to produce before they've developed in areas where they're deficient.

We have to trust that Theo and Co. will move guys up when they're ready and not when we think they are. How many times have we been down this road with guys who didn't pan out? I'd say a handful. And the same fucking assholes will kill that prospect and that front office when they don't live up to the hype.

Relax and have a fucking beer. The NBA Finals are about to start.

That. Bryant is doing amazing things but as I mentioned upthread he's still got less than half the number of minor league PAs that Longoria logged before getting called up. Hell even Bryce Harper, the most hyped positional prospect in recent memory, had about 450 PAs before the Nationals called him up. I know it's depressing as hell to watch this slapdick offense while Bryant is mashing dongs in AA, but he'll be here when they think he's ready, and that'll be soon.