News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 139,509 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 09:07:29 AM
it could be that they want him to gain more confidence before exposing him to AAA breaking pitches

What is he supposed to do to get more confidence at this point? Win an Oscar, develop a cure for cancer and win the NBA Finals MVP while starting at small forward for the Spurs?

As soon as Theo's secretary puts me through, I'll let you know.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2014, 09:18:35 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 04, 2014, 09:15:16 AM
Hell even Bryce Harper, the most hyped positional prospect in recent memory, had about 450 PAs before the Nationals called him up.

Not sure Harper's path is all that relevant. He's a year younger than Bryant is right now (which is nuts).

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »
Also, I'm not advocating that Bryant be called up to the majors this year (which is what it seems like you guys are arguing against). Just that it seems like he's certainly ready to face AAA, so they can better evaluate if he's ready to start next year in the majors or will need more time.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 04, 2014, 09:15:16 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 04, 2014, 09:07:29 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 08:47:21 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 04, 2014, 01:32:38 AM
Number 19.   I know it's only AA, but this is getting ridiculous - it's an onslaught.

It really is insane. I'm almost surprised when there's a night he doesn't homer.

I don't really get why they need to see him dominate "a little bit longer" before moving him up. as Hoyer said yesterday. What happens if he's merely mortal for the next few weeks? Does he then stay in AA for the rest of the year or do they move him up anyway?

It's not that big of a deal, but it sort of seems like they're just killing time at this point. Or setting things up so he'll begin next year in AAA (guh).

Just because Hoyer said that doesn't mean it's the reason. But if it is, it could be that they want him to gain more confidence before exposing him to AAA breaking pitches. His K-rate would likely increase. So he could be working on one particular thing, which we aren't privy to because we're not coaches in the Cubs minor league system, and when they're satisfied he's ready, they'll move him to the next level and let him adjust from there. That might be a better way to develop prospects, than, I don't know, looking at internet videos of his home runs and declaring him ready for the next level (or two!). It's also a better way to do it than to look at the MLB standings and home ticket sales and declaring guys ready to produce before they've developed in areas where they're deficient.

We have to trust that Theo and Co. will move guys up when they're ready and not when we think they are. How many times have we been down this road with guys who didn't pan out? I'd say a handful. And the same fucking assholes will kill that prospect and that front office when they don't live up to the hype.

Relax and have a fucking beer. The NBA Finals are about to start.

That. Bryant is doing amazing things but as I mentioned upthread he's still got less than half the number of minor league PAs that Longoria logged before getting called up. Hell even Bryce Harper, the most hyped positional prospect in recent memory, had about 450 PAs before the Nationals called him up. I know it's depressing as hell to watch this slapdick offense while Bryant is mashing dongs in AA, but he'll be here when they think he's ready, and that'll be soon.

I agree in that Hoyepstink knows better than us. However, looking at Bryce Harper's stats, he didn't destroy any league except for single A. I think it's reasonable to say that Kris is too good for AA and he should probably be in AAA. They should probably start getting one of them (Villanueva or Bryant) ready for LF and play them there, because that's gonna have to hai if they both want to be on the Cubes

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 04, 2014, 09:29:02 AM
I agree in that Hoyepstink knows better than us. However, looking at Bryce Harper's stats, he didn't destroy any league except for single A. I think it's reasonable to say that Kris is too good for AA and he should probably be in AAA. They should probably start getting one of them (Villanueva or Bryant) ready for LF and play them there, because that's gonna have to hai if they both want to be on the Cubes

Even the Longoria comp isn't great. Longoria was moved up from AA to AAA at age 21 (Bryant is 22) after a.930 OPS, which is still 230 (!) points lower than what Bryant is doing.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll move up within a few weeks and everything will be relatively fine, compared to an asteroid destroying Earth.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Just take a moment here to realize that the Chicago Cubs currently have more prospects than positions.

The Chicago Cubs.

We're going to all be insufferable and arrogant 5 years from now, instead of just insufferable.

Now back to Bryant ramshacking the Southern League.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Also, and no one wants to hear this - but the word I heard is that they aren't quite satisfied with his glove yet.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 04, 2014, 09:45:43 AM
Just take a moment here to realize that the Chicago Cubs currently have more prospects than positions.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Gil's "60% of the way to first base line."

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 09:43:45 AM

Even the Longoria comp isn't great. Longoria was moved up from AA to AAA at age 21 (Bryant is 22) after a.930 OPS, which is still 230 (!) points lower than what Bryant is doing.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll move up within a few weeks and everything will be relatively fine, compared to an asteroid destroying Earth.

So who's a good comp then, you ungrateful jerks?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:35 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 04, 2014, 09:46:28 AM
Also, and no one wants to hear this - but the word I heard is that they aren't quite satisfied with his glove yet.

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
Quote from: R-V on June 04, 2014, 10:03:00 AM

Well, based on age and production (though still not nearly as good as Bryant has been):

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 04, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

DPD.

I've always assumed he's moving to the outfield, so I'm not too concerned.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 10:08:15 AM

Well, based on age and production (though still not nearly as good as Bryant has been):

Jesus, what a cock.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 10:09:23 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 04, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

DPD.

I've always assumed he's moving to the outfield, so I'm not too concerned.

I would be a bad baseball executive because I wouldn't even care if Bryant brought a glove to the field. I wouldn't care if he sat indian style in the outfield picking grass blades.

As soon as the super two crap or whatever the fuck it is is over I'd have him in Wrigley.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 04, 2014, 10:08:15 AM

Braun took a .956 OPS from the Southern League and turned it into a 1.119 in the PCL, an increase of 17%. Eli just told us that Kris Bryant is going to take his 1.160 in the SL and turn it into 1.357. SWEET!