News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 139,513 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
Quote from: Some shit I found on the internet
Coghlan also made his big league debut on the road, and he credited Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein for planning that for Soler.

"He's smart with that stuff," Coghlan said of Epstein. "Another thing is that each guy who has come up has come to a hitter-friendly park. I don't think that's by accident. I think on the road is smart. There's a little bit less pressure. As soon as he goes home, there will be 50 people at his locker. It's better to make it on the road, then go home after a couple days and you still deal with it, but it's not as crazy."
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: April 14, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »
Jed Lowrie made his debut on the road, too. Just about every moderate-to-highly touted rookie position player who has played for Theo Epstein that I can find played their first career game on the road.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: April 14, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 12:25:57 PM
Yeah I kind of agree here, too. It's definitely in keeping with what Theo usually does. Youk and Pedroia were probably the two most heralded rookies of the Theo Era in Boston and both debuted on the road. Javy, Mendy, and Soler debuted on the road. Rizzo was called up at home for the Cubs but had already been in the bigs.

Intrepid Readers: Clay Buccholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hanley Ramirez

"Hi."

Buchholz (#4 prospect) and Ellsbury (#13 prospect) both debuted at Fenway. Hanley and Daisuke debuted on the road.

Pedroia topped out at #77 and Youkilis never appeared on one of BA's Top 100 lists (although I do remember reading about "The Greek God of Walks" when he was in the minors).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: April 14, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 14, 2015, 12:56:31 PM
Quote from: SKO on April 14, 2015, 12:25:57 PM
Yeah I kind of agree here, too. It's definitely in keeping with what Theo usually does. Youk and Pedroia were probably the two most heralded rookies of the Theo Era in Boston and both debuted on the road. Javy, Mendy, and Soler debuted on the road. Rizzo was called up at home for the Cubs but had already been in the bigs.

Intrepid Readers: Clay Buccholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Hanley Ramirez

"Hi."

Buchholz (#4 prospect) and Ellsbury (#13 prospect) both debuted at Fenway. Hanley and Daisuke debuted on the road.

Pedroia topped out at #77 and Youkilis never appeared on one of BA's Top 100 lists (although I do remember reading about "The Greek God of Walks" when he was in the minors).

I said position players for a reason, possible he thinks pitchers have a higher comfort level at home, maybe? As far as Daisuke, when Theo was talking about "never having a rookie break camp with one of his teams" back when he was talking about Bryant in the spring he specifically said "with the exception of players from Japan," whom he apparently doesn't consider rookies.

I also completely forgot Hanley's 2 games with the Red Sox. In my mind he debuted with the Marlins. My bad.

So of the position players it's

Road:
Youk
Hanley
Pedroia
Lowrie
Baez
Soler
Alcantara

Home:
Jacoby Ellsbury.

Could mean nothing, could also mean not nothing. Let's see how this plays out.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
Look, if they want to debut Kris Bryant in Cincinnati so he can hit every baseball he sees back to Chicago I'm okay with that. I can wait. Then, there's this:

*(There's another factor here, as Jesse Rogers reports. If there happened to be an end-of-season tiebreaker, Rogers indicates that the regular season would be extended by a day or two, thus giving Bryant – if he were called up on Friday or Saturday – a full service year in 2015. I was not aware that the regular season, for service time purposes, was literally extended by tiebreaker games. As BN'er Hansman points out in the comments on an earlier post, the CBA's definition of the season for service time purposes is: "Major League service will be computed commencing with the date of the first regularly scheduled championship season game, through and including the date of the last regularly scheduled championship season game." Seems like, by that definition, a tiebreaker game – not being "regularly scheduled" – wouldn't impact the service year. I don't doubt that Rogers got his information from a good source, so I suspect he may be right for reasons we can't see in the CBA language.)
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 14, 2015, 01:15:02 PM
Look, if they want to debut Kris Bryant in Cincinnati so he can hit every baseball he sees back to Chicago I'm okay with that. I can wait. Then, there's this:

*(There's another factor here, as Jesse Rogers reports. If there happened to be an end-of-season tiebreaker, Rogers indicates that the regular season would be extended by a day or two, thus giving Bryant – if he were called up on Friday or Saturday – a full service year in 2015. I was not aware that the regular season, for service time purposes, was literally extended by tiebreaker games. As BN'er Hansman points out in the comments on an earlier post, the CBA's definition of the season for service time purposes is: "Major League service will be computed commencing with the date of the first regularly scheduled championship season game, through and including the date of the last regularly scheduled championship season game." Seems like, by that definition, a tiebreaker game – not being "regularly scheduled" – wouldn't impact the service year. I don't doubt that Rogers got his information from a good source, so I suspect he may be right for reasons we can't see in the CBA language.)

I doubt this very much.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Look, if they want to debut Kris Bryant in Cincinnati so he can hit every baseball he sees back to Chicago I'm okay with that.

Just bring him up for Pittsburgh. It seems a little precious to futz about park factors and stuff for a guy who's hit like 65 homers in the last calendar year.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: April 14, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 14, 2015, 01:53:00 PM
Look, if they want to debut Kris Bryant in Cincinnati so he can hit every baseball he sees back to Chicago I'm okay with that.

Just bring him up for Pittsburgh. It seems a little precious to futz about park factors and stuff for a guy who's hit like 65 homers in the last calendar year.

Or bring him up on Friday, so I can tell my ungrateful asshole grandchildren that I was there for the home debut of both Baez and Bryant, before they peel out on their hoverbikes so fast that I fall off the edge of the moon.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 14, 2015, 01:25:33 PM

I doubt this very much.

If a team has to play a tiebreaker game, don't the stats count in the regular season stats? It might be an extension of the regular season, in which case Jesse is...right?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 14, 2015, 03:14:02 PM

Or bring him up on Friday, so I can tell my ungrateful asshole grandchildren that I was there for the home debut of both Baez and Bryant, before they peel out on their hoverbikes so fast that I fall off the edge of the moon.

Oh yeah?  Well, if he comes up on Friday, I can tell my dog's children that I was at the MAJOR LEAGUE debuts of both Baez and Bryant!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: April 14, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 14, 2015, 03:40:42 PM

Oh yeah?  Well, if he comes up on Friday, I can tell my dog's children that I was at the MAJOR LEAGUE debuts of both Baez and Bryant!

OLEG PLANNED AN ENTIRE TRIP AROUND THIS, YOU STUPID EPSTINK.

I hope he debuts Saturday.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: April 14, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 14, 2015, 05:03:22 PM

That would work, too!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2015, 06:31:49 PM »
La Stella DL, Rosscup up.  Theo bones Bryant again.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: April 15, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
I remember talking jersey numbers about Bryant, but I'm not sure which thread and I'm too lazy to go looking through them all to find it.

Anyway, Bryant's jersey number for Iowa this year is #17. Last season, he wore #19 for Iowa. I'm just saying, he's obviously thinking of ME if he throws over that #17 Cubs jersey on April 17th or thereafter.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 14, 2015, 05:45:47 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 14, 2015, 05:03:22 PM

That would work, too!

Sunday. That's when I have tickets
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16