News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: This. Fucking. Bullpen.  ( 48,389 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: This. Fucking. Bullpen.
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2016, 08:40:51 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 07:55:30 AM
Pretty goddamn ridiculous that Theo traded for a shutdown closer and that he gave up a hit.

This trade was dumb because the Cubs already had a closer who sucks because he gives up runs at disproportionately wrong times

These are things that would make Cubs fans mad:

- Joe bringing in Aroldis Chapman to face a LHH in the 8th inning and that guy getting an RBI double off him.
- Joe not bringing in Aroldis Chapman to face a LHH in the 8th inning and that guy getting an RBI double off Rondon.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 30, 2016, 03:34:15 PM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on July 30, 2016, 03:31:45 PM
There goes my joyful positive. Even when Arriota pitches a good game this team doesn'the help him...

Whatever "good game" he had going totally got erased by the inexcusable sin of walking the 7 and 8 hitters to open the 8th.  I hope it's good for Theo and company to have instant feedback showing that the Chapman trade was really, really dumb, but this one is on Jake.

Can't help but wonder what effect the long bottom of the 7th, with two video reviews, had on Jake.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2016, 10:55:56 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on July 30, 2016, 03:41:21 PM
There goes my joyful positive. Even when Arriota pitches a good game this team doesn'the help him...

Whatever "good game" he had going totally got erased by the inexcusable sin of walking the 7 and 8 hitters to open the 8th.  I hope it's good for Theo and company to have instant feedback showing that the Chapman trade was really, really dumb, but this one is on Jake.

The Cubs have a so-called three-headed monster in their bullpen, with the intent of them taking over games from the 7th inning. Why the fuck was Jake pitching in the 8th to begin with? Cubs had a lead, Jake was the winning pitcher, time to bring out the Hydra.

Exactly. There was no fucking reason for Arrieta to even be in the game at that point. That was a Dusty-level move by Maddon.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 31, 2016, 08:40:51 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 31, 2016, 07:55:30 AM
Pretty goddamn ridiculous that Theo traded for a shutdown closer and that he gave up a hit.

This trade was dumb because the Cubs already had a closer who sucks because he gives up runs at disproportionately wrong times

These are things that would make Cubs fans mad:

- Joe bringing in Aroldis Chapman to face a LHH in the 8th inning and that guy getting an RBI double off him.
- Joe not bringing in Aroldis Chapman to face a LHH in the 8th inning and that guy getting an RBI double off Rondon.

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2016, 02:43:45 AM »
Minus Nathan the bullpen was quite good. Hendricks better go at least 7 and have a 3-4 run lead tonight.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on July 19, 2016, 09:00:29 PM
Great decision by Joe to go with choking Hector in the non-save situation, because he's been so good in those this year.  Oh, wait...
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 08:51:23 AM
Great decision by Joe to go with choking Hector in the non-save situation, because he's been so good in those this year.  Oh, wait...

One of the great things about the years I spent in NY is the former friends and co-workers who are Met fans ripping Familia for being a choker after he blew his first save in 52 opportunities.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 01, 2016, 09:44:34 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 01, 2016, 08:51:23 AM

One of the great things about the years I spent in NY is the former friends and co-workers who are Met fans ripping Familia for being a choker after he blew his first save in 52 opportunities.

It really is amusing that, no matter the fanbase, no matter the quality of the closer, idiot fans can never keep perspective that even Mariano Rivera never recorded a 0.00 ERA, and that whenever closers do give up runs, teams lose, because that's what happens when you're the last guy on the mound. Slaky compared it to meatballs and goalies and that's pretty apt.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 31, 2016, 10:55:56 AM

The Cubs have a so-called three-headed monster in their bullpen, with the intent of them taking over games from the 7th inning. Why the fuck was Jake pitching in the 8th to begin with? Cubs had a lead, Jake was the winning pitcher, time to bring out the Hydra.

Exactly. There was no fucking reason for Arrieta to even be in the game at that point. That was a Dusty-level move by Maddon.

He was under 90 pitches and spinning a two-hitter. We wouldn't you start the eighth with him, especially with 7-8-9 coming up? Had he gone 1-2-3, he'd have been just over 100 pitches and given Maddon an opportunity to rest Rondon or Chapman.

It didn't work out.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on August 01, 2016, 10:56:36 AM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on July 31, 2016, 10:55:56 AM

He was under 90 pitches and spinning a two-hitter. We wouldn't you start the eighth with him, especially with 7-8-9 coming up? Had he gone 1-2-3, he'd have been just over 100 pitches and given Maddon an opportunity to rest Rondon or Chapman.

It didn't work out.

I was anxious he started the 8th because of how things have gone for him lately but I get Joe wanting to show faith in him and let him have a go at it since his pitch count was still low. I would have removed him after the leadoff walk, but ball four was so close to strike three that I can understand why Joe didn't realize Jake had lost it till he walked the next guy on four straight.

So he left him in a batter too long and I was upset about it but his reasons were doing so were legit so whatever. Shit happens.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Rondon unavailable because of a sore triceps and Pedro may have just torn something. So much for super bullpen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 10, 2016, 09:26:50 PM
Rondon unavailable because of a sore triceps and Pedro may have just torn something. So much for super bullpen

Carl Edwards Jr disagrees

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
Torn meniscus for Pedro Strop, surgery tomorrow, estimated four to six week recovery. Not as bad as it could have been. His ancestors and Bob Costas could not be reached for comment.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
It was nice to see the actual Mike Montgomery show up last night.

A groundball guy with this infield that can eat innings - this is something we can all support.
TIME TO POST!

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »
Chapman can't go a second inning after a three-pitch ninth?