News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,074 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1575 on: October 05, 2016, 05:15:07 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 04, 2016, 11:51:04 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on October 04, 2016, 08:00:59 PM
Whoever the fuck Jon Sciambi and Chris Singleton are, I would like to express my true appreciation for their talents at yammering so incessantly that I remembered that Gameday was still available in case I wanted to figured out what the fuck was going on in the actual game.

I find Sciambi's style incredibly irritating. Co-sign.

Also want to recognize how good we have it. Len and JD are a delight. Pat is Pat. Ron sucks, but hey, three out of four ain't bad.

Coomer's actually a step up from the last 2 color guys (low bar, I know) but the production's decision to let him do play-by-play while Pat goes & tries to leave some wolf bait manages to nearly ruin the whole damn broadcast.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1576 on: October 05, 2016, 06:54:12 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 05, 2016, 05:15:07 AM
Whoever the fuck Jon Sciambi and Chris Singleton are, I would like to express my true appreciation for their talents at yammering so incessantly that I remembered that Gameday was still available in case I wanted to figured out what the fuck was going on in the actual game.

Also want to recognize how good we have it. Len and JD are a delight. Pat is Pat. Ron sucks, but hey, three out of four ain't bad.

Coomer's actually a step up from the last 2 color guys (low bar, I know) but the production's decision to let him do play-by-play while Pat hoes tries to leave some wolf bait manages to nearly ruin the whole damn broadcast.

"Pat hoes tries to leave some wolf bait" is the Phrase That Pays.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1577 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 05, 2016, 06:54:12 AM

Coomer's actually a step up from the last 2 color guys (low bar, I know) but the production's decision to let him do play-by-play while Pat hoes tries to leave some wolf bait manages to nearly ruin the whole damn broadcast.

"Pat hoes tries to leave some wolf bait" is the Phrase That Pays The Fuck Attention

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1578 on: October 05, 2016, 07:50:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2016, 07:39:02 AM

"Pat hoes tries to leave some wolf bait" is the Phrase That Pays The Fuck Attention

I'll allow it.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1579 on: October 05, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 05, 2016, 07:50:03 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2016, 07:39:02 AM

I'll allow it.

I gigured
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1580 on: October 05, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »

Coomer's actually a step up from the last 2 color guys (low bar, I know) but the production's decision to let him do play-by-play while Pat goes & tries to leave some wolf bait manages to nearly ruin the whole damn broadcast.

But Pat doesn't leave. He just does light color for the inning.  Here's an idea: Give Pat the whole inning off and let Grote do the PBP.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1581 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 05, 2016, 09:34:16 AM

But Pat doesn't leave. He just does light color for the inning.  Here's an idea: Give Pat the whole inning off and let Grote do the PBP.

Fortunately Len will be doing all of the fifth innings during the playoffs.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1582 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2016, 09:54:32 AM

I don't plan to be in the car for any of the innings. And I don't really plan to turn the sound on the TV down. Alas.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1583 on: October 05, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 05, 2016, 10:07:17 AM

I don't plan to be in the car for any of the innings. And I don't really plan to turn the sound on the TV down. Alas.

Wheezer is the one who started this conversation but thanks for letting us know your travel plans.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1584 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »

Writing as probably the only Desipiot who listens exclusively on the radio, this isn't something that I would consider "fortunate." I was mildly inclined to rambling about how my ESPN radio experience the first time around suggested that the idea was to transpose the carnival-/pinball-like TV experience onto the wrong medium, but...

I'm curious why people object to Coomer. (I think it's well known in these parts that I liked Santo on color, but the negative case there was plain.)
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1585 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 05, 2016, 06:34:06 PM

But Pat doesn't leave. He just does light color for the inning.  Here's an idea: Give Pat the whole inning off and let Grote do the PBP.

Writing as probably the only Desipiot who listens exclusively on the radio, this isn't something that I would consider "fortunate." I was mildly inclined to rambling about how my ESPN radio experience the first time around suggested that the idea was to transpose the carnival-/pinball-like TV experience onto the wrong medium, but...

I'm curious why people object to Coomer. (I think it's well known in these parts that I liked Santo on color, but the negative case there was plain.)

He has nothing interesting to add. All of his "analysis" is the most generic analysis there is. He essentially has no insight into the game of baseball that I've ever heard. He's not funny or clever. His delivery is this dopey sing-song that reminds me of Phil Hartman's portrayal of Ronald Reagan gladhanding with Girl Scouts before sneaking back into the situation room to show he's a conniving mastermind. It's hard to put my finger on something so subjective but I vastly preferred Santo to Coomer.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1586 on: October 07, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 05, 2016, 09:38:33 PM

But Pat doesn't leave. He just does light color for the inning.  Here's an idea: Give Pat the whole inning off and let Grote do the PBP.

He has nothing interesting to add. All of his "analysis" is the most generic analysis there is. He essentially has no insight into the game of baseball that I've ever heard. He's not funny or clever. His delivery is this dopey sing-song that reminds me of Phil Hartman's portrayal of Ronald Reagan gladhanding with Girl Scouts before sneaking back into the situation room to show he's a conniving mastermind. It's hard to put my finger on something so subjective but I vastly preferred Santo to Coomer.

Coomer's lack of adding anything of any value is magnified further after a single inning of DeShaies doing color on TV.

There has GOT to be an ex-Cub capable of doing color on the radio who wouldn't be atrocious.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1587 on: October 07, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 07, 2016, 01:53:49 PM

Coomer's lack of adding anything of any value is magnified further after a single inning of DeShaies doing color on TV.

There has GOT to be an ex-Cub capable of doing color on the radio who wouldn't be atrocious.

Exactly. The JD comparison helps illustrate this. If Kris Bryant hits a homer, JD can give us insight into the pitch sequencing that Bryant was anticipating, Kris's approach to the AB compared to earlier in the game when he struck out looking, the kind of swing he put on it to generate the power, something of value. All Ron can tell us is that he hit it really far or if we're lucky some ex post facto conclusion that he must have been looking for that pitch. It's such a disappointment.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1588 on: October 07, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »

Why does it have to be an ex-Cub?   

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1589 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 07, 2016, 02:18:29 PM

Why does it have to be an ex-Cub?   

Did you forget all of JD's great years pitching for the Cubes?