News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Totally Unlistenable  ( 251,091 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Totally Unlistenable
« Reply #1590 on: October 07, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »
Santo was a beloved Hall of Famer who was everyone's grandpa. Most of us either grew up with him on the radio or grew up watching him play. He also came from a time when no one expected actual analysis from front offices let alone radio booths.

Coomer was the fat Chris Coghlan of the 2001 Cubs. He wasn't even the most beloved 2001 Cub Who Looks Like He Should Be Playing Beer League Softball. That was Matt Stairs. I'm disinclined to give him a pass for being terrible, and so his manufactured folksy personality and inability to add anything other than "aww shucks" crap to broadcasts is annoying, and every time I want to give color man Ron Coomer a pass I have to spend an inning screaming "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" at play-by-play Ron Coomer.

Hire Kerry Wood. I can never hate that guy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1591 on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 07, 2016, 02:24:43 PM
Santo was a beloved Hall of Famer who was everyone's grandpa. Most of us either grew up with him on the radio or grew up watching him play. He also came from a time when no one expected actual analysis from front offices let alone radio booths.

Coomer was the fat Chris Coghlan of the 2001 Cubs. He wasn't even the most beloved 2001 Cub Who Looks Like He Should Be Playing Beer League Softball. That was Matt Stairs. I'm disinclined to give him a pass for being terrible, and so his manufactured folksy personality and inability to add anything other than "aww shucks" crap to broadcasts is annoying, and every time I want to give color man Ron Coomer a pass I have to spend an inning screaming "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" at play-by-play Ron Coomer.

Hire Kerry Wood. I can never hate that guy.

Didn't Kerry turn it down?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1592 on: October 07, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »
It doesn't matter. Nothing will ever be worse than the Chip Carray / Joe Carter era. It was the first time in my life that I'd mute the TV while watching a game.
M'lady.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1593 on: October 07, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 07, 2016, 03:14:34 PM
It doesn't matter. Nothing will ever be worse than the Chip Carray / Joe Carter era. It was the first time in my life that I'd mute the TV while watching a game.

True, although Carter was good for a hilariously awkward interaction with the 7th inning stretch celeb every now and then.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1594 on: October 08, 2016, 10:24:20 PM »
Goddamn I forgot how much I hate Bob Costas.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1595 on: October 09, 2016, 04:50:31 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 08, 2016, 10:24:20 PM

I'm guessing I should be glad I couldn't hear any sound except college football at the bar I was at?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1596 on: October 09, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 09, 2016, 04:50:31 AM

I'm guessing I should be glad I couldn't hear any sound except college football at the bar I was at?

Probably. He's the fucking worst.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1597 on: October 09, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 09, 2016, 07:42:43 AM

I had kind of thought the Costas hate was overblown, but I guess I don't really pay attention to him too much. Olympics coverage is crap anyway, and he fits perfectly for that, but I don't really watch it. And I skip all NFL pre-game coverage, so I don't hear him there. But after last night I get it now. What a sanctimonious douche bag.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1598 on: October 09, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2016, 08:15:23 AM

I had kind of thought the Costas hate was overblown, but I guess I don't really pay attention to him too much. Olympics coverage is crap anyway, and he fits perfectly for that, but I don't really watch it. And I skip all NFL pre-game coverage, so I don't hear him there. But after last night I get it now. What a sanctimonious douche bag.
You  mean you don't need someone to tell you how long it has been since the Cubs were in the World Series?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1599 on: October 09, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 09, 2016, 12:14:52 PM

You  mean you don't need someone to tell you how long it has been since the Cubs were in the World Series?

There was one point he seemed genuinely annoyed that onscreen action interrrupted him from talking about how long it's been since the Cubs were even in the World Series, let alone since they'd won, but he promised us he'd finish the story eventually.

Also, fuck him for saying that Baez deserved to be thrown at for "Cadillac-ing." I suppose Pedro Strop's dead family should be ashamed of him for letting a teammate do that.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1600 on: October 09, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »
Quote from: Bort on October 09, 2016, 12:48:44 PM
Quote from: CBStew on October 09, 2016, 12:14:52 PM

There was one point he seemed genuinely annoyed that onscreen action interrrupted him from talking about how long it's been since the Cubs were even in the World Series, let alone since they'd won, but he promised us he'd finish the story eventually.

Also, fuck him for saying that Baez deserved to be thrown at for "Cadillac-ing." I suppose Pedro Strop's dead family should be ashamed of him for letting a teammate do that.

Yeah, Cadillac-ing your way into an out isn't something guys take exception to.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1601 on: October 09, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »
I can't remember the last time I listened to a presidential debate on the radio, but no baseball is no baseball.

I am reminded, though, of the one season I spent in the high-school "forensic" debate team. Both I and my partner were complete neophytes, I a senior and she, I think, a sophomore.

It's a bizarre sport in its most well trained versions, with people going to camps and speed-talking and, G-d help us all, judges. To some surprise, our rookie team made it to state competition the year that the death penalty was the "resolution." Apparently, extemporaneous speech was some sort of novelty. Maybe it was some sort of class hostility with the Lincoln-Douglas types.

But anyway, right after the Billy Madison moment that was the early "role models" question, I was shaking my head at the two minutes wasted for failure to even be able to free-associate in the rebuttal. Prep? Click. I tuned out for about 50 minutes, and it was still totally devoid of wit or character. It's Philip Glass v. Philip Glass.

Broadcast debatestinks are terrible.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1602 on: October 09, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 09, 2016, 09:12:59 PM
I can't remember the last time I listened to a presidential debate on the radio, but no baseball is no baseball.

I am reminded, though, of the one season I spent in the high-school "forensic" debate team. Both I and my partner were complete neophytes, I a senior and she, I think, a sophomore.

It's a bizarre sport in its most well trained versions, with people going to camps and speed-talking and, G-d help us all, judges. To some surprise, our rookie team made it to state competition the year that the death penalty was the "resolution." Apparently, extemporaneous speech was some sort of novelty. Maybe it was some sort of class hostility with the Lincoln-Douglas types.

But anyway, right after the Billy Madison moment that was the early "role models" question, I was shaking my head at the two minutes wasted for failure to even be able to free-associate in the rebuttal. Prep? Click. I tuned out for about 50 minutes, and it was still totally devoid of wit or character. It's Philip Glass v. Philip Glass.

I couldn't agree with you more Wheezer.
This has nothing to do with debate.

<-- (Toastmasters and Debate in High School as well)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1603 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Quote from: flannj on October 09, 2016, 09:37:18 PM

I, to, was a speech fag.  Outside of one year where I also competed (poorly) in Special Occasion Speaking, my event was Radio Speaking (also poorly) which kind of put me on the outside of the more dramatic competitors, and alongside those Extemporaneous Speaking dorks.   I do have a long story about the one time I finished 1st in an event, though.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1604 on: October 10, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 10, 2016, 07:51:13 AM
Quote from: flannj on October 09, 2016, 09:37:18 PM

I, to, was a speech fag.  Outside of one year where I also competed (poorly) in Special Occasion Speaking, my event was Radio Speaking (also poorly) which kind of put me on the outside of the more dramatic competitors, and alongside those Extemporaneous Speaking dorks.   I do have a long story about the one time I finished 1st in an event, though.

Makes sense.  On the radio, no-one can see you spell.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.