News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Desipio Baseball Keeper League 2008 Extravaganza (League Info on page 10)  ( 91,825 )

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Desipio Baseball Keeper League 2008 Extravaganza
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 24, 2008, 07:50:48 AM
2.  I always thought the way to make closers and middle relievers be more equal statistically is to eliminate saves, not add holds. 

Agreed.  That's much more simple -- and saves is a dumb stat anyway.

Quote3.  I'm a proponent of using OBP over BA.  We need to find a middle ground between counting stats and average stats.

Agreed.

Quote4.  It hasn't been brought up, but, I'm definitely against using any stats in which the lowest number wins, like losses.

Agreed.  Let Oleg be commish.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »
Quote from: EG on January 24, 2008, 08:50:25 AM

Agreed.  Let Oleg be commish.

Oleg's irresponisble.  There's no way he should be trusted with anything this important.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on January 24, 2008, 07:50:48 AM
1.  Why limit the number of DL slots?  Who cares if you have 1, 2, 5 or unlimited?  As long as the commish is strict with who can be on it (say, a 3-5 day grace period to move someone off the DL or they get dropped into the free agent pool), what difference does it make?
What you're proposing sounds like anarchy.  I think we should make people make some potentially tough decisions.  It also might make for more league transaction activity, which I like.

2.  I always thought the way to make closers and middle relievers be more equal statistically is to eliminate saves, not add holds.  I'm sure we can come up with something to replace saves that doesn't necessarily skew the stats towards starters more (because they pitch more innings).  Perhaps upping the number of relievers you must have active?  Maybe separating the reliever stats from the starter stats?  I don't know.[/quote]
I'm alright with this.  I'm sure we could figure something out.  There are some smart people here.  And I'm not afraid to put my half-penny in.

3.  I'm a proponent of using OBP over BA.  We need to find a middle ground between counting stats and average stats.  If there are 6 offensive stats, 3 average and 3 counting stats seems good.[/quote]
A fantasy league without BA sounds strange and scary.  I'd have to learn what OBP is and how it's judged.

4.  It hasn't been brought up, but, I'm definitely against using any stats in which the lowest number wins, like losses.[/quote]
Yeah, I don't positive that, either.

5.  I'm with Dan on the roto thing.  The pitcher league?  Good luck with that.[/quote]

I'd prefer H2H with a league this big.  I'll go with whatever the masses want, though, and probably complain either way, depending on how my team is doing. 

Quote from: EG on January 24, 2008, 08:50:25 AM
Let Oleg be commish.

I don't know.  He's pretty tan and hairy.  Was he born in the United States?  I'm opposed to being led by a foreigner.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on January 24, 2008, 09:21:49 AM

I don't know.  He's pretty tan and hairy. Was he born in the United States?  I'm opposed to being led by a foreigner.

the word you're looking for is swarthy.

Swarthy.

+=

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 09:59:48 AM »
I would have proposed divisions, but I didn't because I was in a Yahoo! H2H league a couple years back where we had either 14 or 16 teams split up into two divisions and the schedule somehow ended messed up. Some inter-division matchups were done twice, while others were only done once. I know it was a random decision by the computers, but when you are on the fuzzy end of that lollipop it isn't exactly a good feeling. That year, my brother ended up playing the three best teams in the other division six times, going 1-5. He lost out on the playoffs by one "win", while the team that got in over him by one "win" only played those three teams four times. The other guy's other two twice-matched up opponents were sixth and eighth in the other division respectively and he went 3-1 in those games, and that was effectively the difference.

If we can figure out a way to effectively schedule with divisions, I'm all for it.

As far as some of the other proposals go, I understand why people would like Roto BUT I have never seen a H2H league go almost completely dead. I have seen Roto leagues where all but one or two players aren't active by September. I have seen a few people quit H2H leagues but it was never more than, say, a fourth of the league. Even if you are 15th, you should be motivated to play late in the season because you can knock out teams from the playoffs or you just want to beat someone you may not necessarily like.

I don't have a problem with OBP, the only major stat I really have a problem with (And it isn't that big a problem) is holds.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
Quote from: BC on January 24, 2008, 09:59:48 AM
when you are on the fuzzy end of that lollipop it isn't exactly a good feeling.

Which end is the fuzzy end of a lollipop?

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2008, 10:09:25 AM »
Quote from: butthead on January 24, 2008, 10:03:31 AM

Usually the scrotum.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »
Quote from: butthead on January 24, 2008, 10:03:31 AM

The one without the candy.

Or, Corn-fed's answer will suffice.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
The other guy's other two twice-matched up opponents were sixth and eighth in the other division respectively and he went 3-1 in those games, and that was effectively the difference.

I think I have to leave work early after trying to parse this sentence.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
Wait...the fuzzy end of a what?  Never mind, there's no time for that now.

This head to head gheyness thing...is this going to be one of those leagues where each category is its own 'game' in the standings, like this dumb NBA league I'm in?  So, if we have 12 categories, one team can go 12-0 one week?  Or, do we get points for whatever each player does?  Like, a home run would be 4 points; a single is 1 point, etc.  The guy with more points at the end of the week wins.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
It seems to me like two leagues might be in order, for a couple of reasons. First, 24 is an unwieldy number of teams. Second, some people hate the head-to-head format.

One grand league for all of our fringe little world would be cool, but it seems too difficult to manage. And that's before we even try to schedule a live draft with 24 guys.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
You dudes are fuckin' this up. You can't make the relievers anywhere near equal to the starters unless you count save AND holds. You'll make it so there's almost no reason to carry relievers in your two P spots. With the number of teams in this league, decent starters are going to be scarce. Again, fuck Marquis.

I'm sorta no longer giving a shit if I'm in this league or not. The whole idea's gone to pot.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »
Jesus fucking christ.  What is this, the Platypus league?

Make it a 5x5 league and be done with it.  Pick a service and a draft date.

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
Quote from: Corn-fed on January 24, 2008, 10:11:09 AM
The other guy's other two twice-matched up opponents were sixth and eighth in the other division respectively and he went 3-1 in those games, and that was effectively the difference.

I think I have to leave work early after trying to parse this sentence.

Speaking of complicated sentences, I saw this the other day and thought it was cool:

Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

We had a similar problem with one of my work leagues were everyone had opinions and so there was all the suggesting without any progress.  We just declared on guy the commissioner and he just arbitrarily made the rules and if anyone didn't like them they could go to hell.  It worked out pretty well even if in his lust for power he mandated everyone's team names.

I nominate JD as the Emperor of the fantasy baseball league.  He can set all the rules and if anyone doesn't like them they can go join NSBB's league.