News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2017 Postseason (That Means All Teams Besides the Cubs if You’re An Optoat)  ( 9,051 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
That game was nuts.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2017 Postseason
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 04, 2017, 07:03:00 AM
MODS!

I'm no CT, but I feel as a former mod this is acceptable as I think it is kind of a desipio tradition to have one thread specifically for Cubs playoff games and one thread for all of the others.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »

How many guys have been HOF players (Real HOF players, and not bullshit guys like Red Shoendienst) and good managers? Paul Molitor seems to be the exception to the rule.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 04, 2017, 08:16:14 AM

How many guys have been HOF players (Real HOF players, and not bullshit guys like Red Shoendienst) and good managers? Paul Molitor seems to be the exception to the rule.

Is Molitor good? He seems to me to be kind of a humorless prick who seemed like he should have had a quicker hook on Santana.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2017, 08:26:00 AM

Is Molitor good? He seems to me to be kind of a humorless prick who seemed like he should have had a quicker hook on Santana.

I thought the same. If playoff baseball taught me anything these past two years, it's that you don't wait around for your pitcher to get into a groove.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 04, 2017, 08:42:52 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2017, 08:26:00 AM

I thought the same. If playoff baseball taught me anything these past two years, it's that you don't wait around for your pitcher to get into a groove.

Yeah and Berrios is a starter who has never had to warm up, sit down, warm back up again, etc. If he had any doubts about Santana he should have just handed Berrios the 2nd inning and gone from there. I'm not sure any of his options were great because that pitching staff sucks and had no business making the playoffs in the first place, but he was more reactive than proactive.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
DPD. You know I've gone back and forth on the Seligcard since it was introduced but I really think it's great. While you occasionally will have a 98 win team like the 2015 Pirates get screwed by facing single elimination while lesser teams get a best of five by virtue of being in worse divisions, most of the time you're talking 90ish win teams or less facing off. It's exciting, and it really places a premium on winning the division, thus making the regular season more meaningful. It also is kind of a check against a mediocre team just dominating the postseason thanks to one elite starting pitcher, since that guy has to be deployed in the WC game and can't then make 2 starts in a potential Division Series. Everyone remembers Bumgarner owning the 2014 playoffs but his start in the play-in game actually meant the Giants had to find a way to beat the Nats without him (in fact they lost the 1 game he did start in that DS) and they did.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
Yeah, this was intended to be the Teams That Are Not the Cubs thread, but I thought that would be obvious so I didn't put that in the name. Shows how much I know.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
Is it Friday yet?

That's the bad thing about the Wild Card. Playoffs should start today.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:15:17 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 04, 2017, 03:15:12 PM
Is it Friday yet?

It gives us more time to watch Gary Sanchez take a baseball to the nards.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 04, 2017, 04:15:17 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 04, 2017, 03:15:12 PM
Is it Friday yet?

It gives us more time to watch Gary Sanchez take a baseball to the nards.

Middle Murton fell off the couch laughing.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
I'd love to be there when Matt Murton meets Chuck's family just to see his face when he's told that the kids are all known as "murtons." Who does he call first: the cops, or a lawyer to get started on a restraining order? Maybe a conference call with both? Decisions, decisions.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 04, 2017, 05:46:53 PM
I'd love to be there when Matt Murton meets Chuck's family just to see his face when he's told that the kids are all known as "murtons." Who does he call first: the cops, or a lawyer to get started on a restraining order? Maybe a conference call with both? Decisions, decisions.

He'd be cool with it. The Murtons are all infinitely more likeable than Chuck.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 05, 2017, 09:27:29 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on October 04, 2017, 05:46:53 PM

He'd be cool with it. The Murtons are all infinitely more likeable than Chuck.

Years ago we got Len Kasper over to the Kohl Children's Museum as we were seeing if he might be the celeb on our golf tournament. Len brought his son Leo and one of Leo's good friends. Eldest and Middle Murton were there as well.  Len said to me, "Look at all that red hair." I said that some of the Desipiots had started to call them the "Murtons." Len paused, looked and them, and laughed pretty hard.

Would love to know if that ever got back to Matt.

Coda: Len didn't end up being involved in the golf tournament.