News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The People Versus O.J. Simpson  ( 1,195 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The People Versus O.J. Simpson
« on: February 03, 2016, 10:04:01 AM »
Watchable. You know the characters and the storyline. The 90s set pieces are interesting enough. It's fascinating to watch such an open and shut case get muddled to west Bubblefuck. John Travolta as Robert Shapiro is actually hilarious, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps not, or perhaps both.

But what isn't working for me is Cuba Gooding as O.J. First, he's not big enough. O.J. is 6'1, 212. Not much bigger than yours truly, but he is or was an imposing figure. If he were in a room shirtless with a gun screaming at you, I don't see how you don't shit your pants. But Gooding (5'10 in heels and a buck 70 wet) basically reprises his role as whoever the fuck in Jerry McGuire. You could totally see that guy flaking out on Regina King, getting a young, blond trophy wife and coking his brain into spongecake to the point that CTE or whatever turns him into a slasher flick. And to see that happen and Tom Cruise John Travolta and David Schwimmer come to his rescue seems like the worthwhile sequel that movie never deserved.

I want to watch them muck up the case though. That part still fascinates me.

2 stars out of 4.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The People Versus O.J. Simpson
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:03 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 03, 2016, 10:04:01 AM
Watchable. You know the characters and the storyline. The 90s set pieces are interesting enough. It's fascinating to watch such an open and shut case get muddled to west Bubblefuck. John Travolta as Robert Shapiro is actually hilarious, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps not, or perhaps both.

But what isn't working for me is Cuba Gooding as O.J. First, he's not big enough. O.J. is 6'1, 212. Not much bigger than yours truly, but he is or was an imposing figure. If he were in a room shirtless with a gun screaming at you, I don't see how you don't shit your pants. But Gooding (5'10 in heels and a buck 70 wet) basically reprises his role as whoever the fuck in Jerry McGuire. You could totally see that guy flaking out on Regina King, getting a young, blond trophy wife and coking his brain into spongecake to the point that CTE or whatever turns him into a slasher flick. And to see that happen and Tom Cruise John Travolta and David Schwimmer come to his rescue seems like the worthwhile sequel that movie never deserved.

I want to watch them muck up the case though. That part still fascinates me.

2 stars out of 4.

I think the same of Travolta as Shapiro. That's hilarious. And Ross Gellar in anything other than Friends is just wrong. But on the other hand I think Cuba is doing a solid job so far. He even looks like him.

I agree...watchable.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The People Versus O.J. Simpson
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
Bundy is one of the off ramps from "The I-10".  I can't drive past it without having flashbacks.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)