News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Randy Wells Splooge-a-thon  ( 37,673 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Randy Wells Splooge-a-thon
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 03, 2009, 01:35:37 PM
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on June 03, 2009, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 03, 2009, 11:55:55 AM
Quote from: Slakee on June 03, 2009, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: RV on June 03, 2009, 11:22:27 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 03, 2009, 10:58:43 AM
On the bright side, Randy Wells has been really, really, REALLY fucking awesome so far.  I know it's only five starts, but day-um.

1.69 ERA
0.969 WHIP
0.3 HR/9
2.0 BB/9
7.6 SO/9
3.86 SO/BB

He was really, really good last night. I missed the beginning of the Braves' 8th last night - was there a particular reason why Lou gave him the hook after 83 pitches and what should have been the first out of the inning? The way he was pitching I assumed he'd go the distance unless things got really hairy.

Because Lou would rather put in the gas cans than leave a guy in who's been dominant. Lou has been a shell of himself this year.

Rookie pitcher, making his 5th start, going through the order for a 3rd and 4th time.  His two best relievers were well-rested.

I really don't have an issue with this.  If Marmol and Gregg pitch well (and despite what the reactionary crowd thinks, that's not a far-fetched notion), this isn't even up for discussion.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all.

Problem with that thinking is that the Cubs don't have two "best" relievers. They have Marmol, who is good more often than not, and a steaming pile of suck after that.

Guzman has been good, Ascanio has been decent, Waddell can't be worse than Cotts, and Marshall will be in the bullpen soon.

Drink a beer, dude.

Maybe one of these.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
I believe more in what Nolan Ryan and Mike Maddux are trying to teach their young pitchers in Texas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/sports/baseball/27rangers.html?ref=sports

Let him go until the hitters decide he has had enough. The way Wells was pitching i think he would have had a nice complete game shutout.

I understand the philosophy of going out on a high note and not wanting to destroy his confidence if they tag him up for a bunch of runs. But how much confidence did you give him by watching Marmol and Gregg take a shit on his start after he only went 86 pitches? When a guy is on a roll, ride it as long as you can. They werent getting anything off Wells.

Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »
Quote from: MikeC on June 03, 2009, 02:09:55 PM
I believe more in what Nolan Ryan and Mike Maddux are trying to teach their young pitchers in Texas.

Let him go until the hitters decide he has had enough. The way Wells was pitching i think he would have had a nice complete game shutout.

I understand the philosophy of going out on a high note and not wanting to destroy his confidence if they tag him up for a bunch of runs. But how much confidence did you give him by watching Marmol and Gregg take a shit on his start after he only went 86 pitches? When a guy is on a roll, ride it as long as you can. They werent getting anything off Wells.

If only the Cubs starters could be more like the Rangers.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »

I think he had already lost the shutout when the error happened. But yeah, I agree leaving him in would have been a better idea.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on June 03, 2009, 01:35:37 PM

Guzman has been good, Ascanio has been decent, Waddell can't be worse than Cotts, and Marshall will be in the bullpen soon.

Drink a beer, dude.

I'm all for giving Guzman a crack at closing, because it's not going to matter if it gets worse than Gregg.  The only way it'll matter is if it gets better, and at this point, I'm willing to toss Gregg to the 6th inning wolves and see if Guzman can close.

If it doesn't work, the motivation to drink beer is all the same.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on June 03, 2009, 02:22:51 PM

I think he had already lost the shutout when the error homerun happened. But yeah, I agree leaving him in would have been a better idea.

Unblinded by rage'd.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 03, 2009, 02:15:19 PM

If only the Cubs starters could be more like the Rangers.

Actually, looks like they can be more like the Rangers.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
Very strong again. I'm becoming a believer in time to avoid having my blood drained and consumed by this guy's arsenal. Andy's taken to calling him "The Outlaw" and I'm not sure if that's a Josey Wales reference or something from the Simpsons, but Josey Wales was a pure, unadulterated baddass and I'm starting to like the comparison. He's got some shit-talk to him and I strongly positive that from a guy with a sub-3.00 ERA.

For instance, during his outing in Atlanta he nearly hit a batter who appeared to go around whilst checking and bailing. He and Soto were halfway to the third base dugout when the ump made the horrendous call of ball. Wells protested briefly and then promptly K'd the rat bastard (Escobar? Blanco?) outright to end the inning. Steak sauce slathered on two fine 178-year-old tennis tits, that was.

Get this dude a win, now. Please.  

EDIT: or don't. fuck it. it's not important.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on June 07, 2009, 02:23:24 PM

Carlos Marmol and his Clown Car Antics don't feel it's important either.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
Quote from: MAD on June 07, 2009, 03:09:04 PM

Good job getting him out of there before it got really bad. Heilman did a nice job, hard as it is to admit.

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on June 07, 2009, 03:19:28 PM
Quote from: MAD on June 07, 2009, 03:09:04 PM

Good job getting him out of there before it got really bad. Heilman did a nice job, hard as it is to admit.

It's just getting pathetic that he hasn't picked up that first win yet with how great he's been on the mound.  Shit, that quick slap hit past Hairston defending against the bunt was great too.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »
He's got some shit-talk to him and I strongly positive that from a guy with a sub-2.00 ERA.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2009, 04:06:31 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 07, 2009, 03:43:01 PM
He's got some shit-talk to him and I strongly positive that from a guy with a sub-2.00 ERA.

As I typed it he was still pitching with a runner on. I wanted to still be right without actually doing math. It's a skill I've picked up.

And it's a good thing AssCan didn't get hurt or die recently, because it looks like he's actually quite good at baseball.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on June 07, 2009, 04:06:31 PM

As I typed it he was still pitching with a runner on. I wanted to still be right without actually doing math. It's a skill I've picked up.

And it's a good thing AssCan didn't get hurt or die recently, because it looks like he's actually quite good at baseball.

The AssCan has some massive huevos.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Slakee on June 07, 2009, 04:34:30 PM
Quote from: ~Apex on June 07, 2009, 04:06:31 PM

The AssCan has some massive huevos.

Put me down as leader of the AssCanista movement. Who the fuck's comin' with me?