News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread  ( 6,832 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017 Postseason Roster Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »
I think they'll probably carry Rivera as the third catcher/guy who replaces Alex Avila defensively because he's bad. Vic the Stick only comes along if he has a red-hot September or (gulp) is an injury replacement for someone.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »
He'll probably still make it but Uehara seems intent on making it interesting.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
So what do you suppose the odds are of Montgomery getting starts over Quintana in the playoffs.  They would like to have 2 good lefties go against the Dodgers if they faced them, so at what point would that be one realistic?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 28, 2017, 11:07:18 PM
So what do you suppose the odds are of Montgomery getting starts over Quintana in the playoffs.  They would like to have 2 good lefties go against the Dodgers if they faced them, so at what point would that be one realistic?

I think in the playoffs Joe would honestly rather have Montgomery available to use for 2-3 innings in multiple games.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 29, 2017, 07:47:28 AM

I think in the playoffs Joe would honestly rather have Montgomery available to use for 2-3 innings in multiple games.

Yeah.  Plus who knows how useless Q would be if he's not good enough for the rotation?  That fucker needs to figure it out.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 29, 2017, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 29, 2017, 07:47:28 AM

Yeah.  Plus who knows how useless Q would be if he's not good enough for the rotation?  That fucker needs to figure it out.

The thing with Q is, (and you can ask any Sox fan abaout this) is that you generally find out in the first couple innings which Quintana you have. If you're bringing him in relief you don't have the luxury of a couple innings.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on August 28, 2017, 12:58:55 PM
"Lefties against the Dodgers" isn't really a thing anymore. Their OPS vs. lefties is .811 (.778 vs. righties).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 08:52:27 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on August 29, 2017, 08:50:21 AM
"Lefties against the Dodgers" isn't really a thing anymore. Their OPS vs. lefties is .811 (.778 vs. righties).

Yeah there's not really a matchup that doesn't favor the Dodgers. The only strategy there is get hot and pray.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 29, 2017, 08:52:27 AM
Quote from: Shooter on August 29, 2017, 08:50:21 AM

Yeah there's not really a matchup that doesn't favor the Dodgers. The only strategy there is get hot and pray.

Beats not having any strategy, damn right yay?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Arrieta (knocks on wood)
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward
Bench: Zobrist, Happ, LaStella

Uehera may be pitching his way off the team and Wilson is maybe on the bubble, too, although i think the latter ends up turning his shit around and making it.  They really need him to so I think he'll get every available chance to earn it..

If Wilson's on, then that's 10, meaning there's room for at least 1 (maybe 2) more pitchers.  If they go with 2 more after that it'd probably be one from the following 2 groups: Grimm/Rondon and then Lackey/Uehara.  Though it'd be hilarious to see SKO utterly lose his shit if Lackey makes the roster, the truth is Uehara may be done and he's suddenly just as prone to give up a home run as Lackey.  Obviously, since this would be the 12th and final pitchers spot, the hope is that the person is not even needed but if it is, I could see them picking Lackey over Uehara since the former would have the ability to go several innings should a situation require it.

If they only go with 11 pitchers, and assuming Wilson is #10, then it'd be only one of those four (Grimm, Rondon, Uehara and Lackey).

If they do go with 11 pitchers, then that would open up 1 more spot on the bench and it would seem to come down to Rivera and Caratini.  In that case I'd prefer it be Caratini.  Carrying 3 catchers in the postseason is not common--last year's Cubs excepted and that's mainly because of the unusual situation with Ross--so the priority would be a bat and even though he's just a rookie, I'm fairly confident Caratini brings more potential on offense than Rivera.  That he would also serve as an emergency 3rd catcher would be nice insurance, but if he makes the roster, it's because they believe he can hit and I'd be okay with it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
Quote from: Huey Potatohead on September 05, 2017, 09:17:51 AM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

Uehera may be pitching his way off the team and Wilson is maybe on the bubble, too, although i think the latter ends up turning his shit around and making it.  They really need him to so I think he'll get every available chance to earn it..

If Wilson's on, then that's 10, meaning there's room for at least 1 (maybe 2) more pitchers.  If they go with 2 more after that it'd probably be one from the following 2 groups: Grimm/Rondon and then Lackey/Uehara.  Though it'd be hilarious to see SKO utterly lose his shit if Lackey makes the roster, the truth is Uehara may be done and he's suddenly just as prone to give up a home run as Lackey.  Obviously, since this would be the 12th and final pitchers spot, the hope is that the person is not even needed but if it is, I could see them picking Lackey over Uehara since the former would have the ability to go several innings should a situation require it.

If they only go with 11 pitchers, and assuming Wilson is #10, then it'd be only one of those four (Grimm, Rondon, Uehara and Lackey).

If they do go with 11 pitchers, then that would open up 1 more spot on the bench and it would seem to come down to Rivera and Caratini.  In that case I'd prefer it be Caratini.  Carrying 3 catchers in the postseason is not common--last year's Cubs excepted and that's mainly because of the unusual situation with Ross--so the priority would be a bat and even though he's just a rookie, I'm fairly confident Caratini brings more potential on offense than Rivera.  That he would also serve as an emergency 3rd catcher would be nice insurance, but if he makes the roster, it's because they believe he can hit and I'd be okay with it.

Am I miscounting or is that only 22 players?

I think Wilson and Rondon or Uehara are sure bets.  If it's two of those 3, it leaves one spot.  I think they have plenty of bat on the bench...probably.  I'm guessing they go with a veteran catcher over Caratini.  Hopefully, whoever it is, isn't getting any major playing time in the playoffs anyway.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 05, 2017, 11:17:47 AM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

I think Wilson and Rondon or Uehara are sure bets.  If it's two of those 3, it leaves one spot.  I think they have plenty of bat on the bench...probably.  I'm guessing they go with a veteran catcher over Caratini.  Hopefully, whoever it is, isn't getting any major playing time in the playoffs anyway.

I also doubt Lackey makes the cut, since Montgomery will be the multi-inning guy.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 05, 2017, 11:40:45 AM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

I also doubt Lackey makes the cut, since Montgomery will be the multi-inning guy.

I also want to absolutely positive how awesome a bench of Zobrist, Happ, and LaStella is.  And because the starters are so awesome defensively (Schwarber notwithstanding), it really mitigates the need for glove-only bench players.  Same with having so much positional flexibility.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, this roster really even makes Heyward a bit irrelevant.  He ends up being the defensive replacement.

This is a damn good team.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2017, 11:51:55 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 05, 2017, 11:47:01 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 05, 2017, 11:40:45 AM
UPDATE:

Sure things:

SP Lester
SP Hendricks
SP Quintana
RP Davis
RP CEJ
RP Strop
RP Duensing
RP Montgomery
C WillyCon
C Avila
1B Rizzo
2B/SS Baez
SS/2B Russell
3B Bryant
LF Schwarber
CF Jay/Almora
RF Heyward

I also want to absolutely positive how awesome a bench of Zobrist, Happ, and LaStella is.  And because the starters are so awesome defensively (Schwarber notwithstanding), it really mitigates the need for glove-only bench players.  Same with having so much positional flexibility.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, this roster really even makes Heyward a bit irrelevant.  He ends up being the defensive replacement.

This is a damn good team.

I noticed today that the Dodgers run differential despite their awesome record is well below that of what the Cubs managed last year. Unless they manage a +64 over their last 25 games (not looking likely) they will finish with a worse run differential than last year's Cubs, even if they'll end up winning more games. The Dodgers Pythagorean W-L record thru 137 is 89-48, last year's Cubs were 89-48 after 137 games but actually under-achieved their Pythagorean W-L by 4-5 games at the end of the year.

Long story short if the Cubs can get everyone back healthy in time for October, the Dodgers aren't even the juggernaut last year's Cubs were, and it still took everything they had to put away LA and Cleveland. REPEAT GONNA HAI*

*Proclamation not valid if Jon Lester still looks like warmed over dog shit, Jake is done, and Willson doesn't come back swinging. Or in Louisiana. Sorry IAN.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 12:01:37 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 05, 2017, 11:51:55 AM

Long story short if the Cubs can get everyone back healthy in time for October, the Dodgers aren't even the juggernaut last year's Cubs were, and it still took everything they had to put away LA and Cleveland. REPEAT GONNA HAI*

*Proclamation not valid if Jon Lester still looks like warmed over dog shit, Jake is done, and Willson doesn't come back swinging. Or in Louisiana. Sorry IAN.

2nd half Lester has been fine and I know the first half Lester happened and all that but his ERA took a major hit in that Mets debacle.  And, I think we can write off his last start to the injury. I have faith that he's fine and will be fine.

Arrieta already says that he intends to make his next start and, even if the Cubs don't let him, I'm guessing he's fine.

Willson is running the bases and I know you said he needs to hit but I don't think there is anything in his past that says he won't.  I have no idea what Louisiana has to do with anything but i wouldn't wish that on anyone.  Sorry, IAN.  Not sorry.

Basically, take your non-committal to this team being anything other than amazing and shove it!