News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Friday Night Lights  ( 31,350 )

Reuschels_Jowls

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Re: Friday Night Lights
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 06, 2009, 02:06:00 PM
Just watched the episode from this week.  Anybody thought it wasn't their best effort?  Coach's whole "you are all champions" speech was weak and unlike him I thought.  Also, I couldn't watch the Lance Landry/Tyra kiss.  It was awful, awful.  I also couldn't stand J. D.'s wambulancing on the field.  That was some bad acting.

The locker-room speech scene resonated with me... my h.s. football career ended in a state playoff game with a similarly soul-crushing ending and my coach, one of the biggest ball-busters on earth, delivered a post-game speech in much the same vein.

And while I grant that the Landry/Tyra love story is a stretch (a number of hot girls eventually realize that hot guys who treat them like crap are no longer the way to go, but they typically don't realize it before their late 20s, not high school), but Landry's my favorite character on the show, so what the hell.

Agree totally on J.D.'s overacting. Yeesh. I don't care how talented the QB is, in real life there's no way some senior lineman wouldn't respond to his ranting with a "shut the hell up, freshman."

Any thoughts on the season finale? I enjoyed it even with all the "willful suspension of disbelief" moments (i.e., a Texas town runs out a popular head coach who has won a state title and appeared in another state finals game in three years over the tantrum of a prima donna freshman's Dad -- a freshman who crapped the bed in the state finals loss, no less; a girl who had no realistic shot at *any* college a few months earlier somehow gets admitted to UT-Austin on the wait list without having to spend at least a year at the local branch campus or junior college; Taylor takes the East Dillon building-from-scratch gig instead of going to any number of area powerhouses that would snap up a coach with his record in a heartbeat, etc.)

It's a testament to how good this show is that all that stuff - which would kill a lesser drama - seems like minor quibbles.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Reuschels_Jowls on April 11, 2009, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 06, 2009, 02:06:00 PM
Just watched the episode from this week.  Anybody thought it wasn't their best effort?  Coach's whole "you are all champions" speech was weak and unlike him I thought.  Also, I couldn't watch the Lance Landry/Tyra kiss.  It was awful, awful.  I also couldn't stand J. D.'s wambulancing on the field.  That was some bad acting.

The locker-room speech scene resonated with me... my h.s. football career ended in a state playoff game with a similarly soul-crushing ending and my coach, one of the biggest ball-busters on earth, delivered a post-game speech in much the same vein.

And while I grant that the Landry/Tyra love story is a stretch (a number of hot girls eventually realize that hot guys who treat them like crap are no longer the way to go, but they typically don't realize it before their late 20s, not high school), but Landry's my favorite character on the show, so what the hell.

Agree totally on J.D.'s overacting. Yeesh. I don't care how talented the QB is, in real life there's no way some senior lineman wouldn't respond to his ranting with a "shut the hell up, freshman."

Any thoughts on the season finale? I enjoyed it even with all the "willful suspension of disbelief" moments (i.e., a Texas town runs out a popular head coach who has won a state title and appeared in another state finals game in three years over the tantrum of a prima donna freshman's Dad -- a freshman who crapped the bed in the state finals loss, no less; a girl who had no realistic shot at *any* college a few months earlier somehow gets admitted to UT-Austin on the wait list without having to spend at least a year at the local branch campus or junior college; Taylor takes the East Dillon building-from-scratch gig instead of going to any number of area powerhouses that would snap up a coach with his record in a heartbeat, etc.)

It's a testament to how good this show is that all that stuff - which would kill a lesser drama - seems like minor quibbles.

I cried

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
As far the East Dillon coaching job acceptance, I think that one can be explained with coach and Mrs. Taylor very settled in, not wanting to move their daughter around before she graduates, etc.

Anyway, this show started off in season one with strictly last minute touchdowns that won games. So I pretty much just swallow everything they feed me.

Reuschels_Jowls

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 11, 2009, 03:25:23 PM
As far the East Dillon coaching job acceptance, I think that one can be explained with coach and Mrs. Taylor very settled in, not wanting to move their daughter around before she graduates, etc.

Anyway, this show started off in season one with strictly last minute touchdowns that won games. So I pretty much just swallow everything they feed me.

Very true. The Dillon Panthers have easily set a world record for last-second victories/losses over the past three seasons. In real life, any "football powerhouse" school good enough to go to two state championship games in three years tends to obliterate 90+ percent of their regular-season competition as well as their early-round playoff opponents, before finally, maybe, being challenged in the later rounds. Even in Texas.

Still doesn't matter to me when I watch the show.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »

I remember the one where Coolidge tried out for the Globetrotters.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 14, 2009, 07:48:05 AM

I thought that he chose not to run.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 14, 2009, 09:51:37 AM
Quote from: Fork on April 14, 2009, 07:48:05 AM

I thought that he chose not to run.

So he could try out for the Globetrotters.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »
I just watched the season finale and liked how it tied up the stories, but, yes, it was fantastically unrealistic for all the reasons already mentioned.  And you didn't even mention the fact that Saracen gave up on the Art Institute because of his "gramma" and Julie Taylor's gigantic boobs.  Well, okay, I guess that was realistic.

The show is still terrific, though.  Is there any better way to get bad news than from Tami Taylor while her funbags are hanging out of her dress?
Hire Jim Essian!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 14, 2009, 10:04:48 AM
I just watched the season finale and liked how it tied up the stories, but, yes, it was fantastically unrealistic for all the reasons already mentioned.  And you didn't even mention the fact that Saracen gave up on the Art Institute because of his "gramma" and Julie Taylor's gigantic boobs.  Well, okay, I guess that was realistic.

The show is still terrific, though.  Is there any better way to get bad news than from Tami Taylor while her funbags are hanging out of her dress?

Julie Taylor is AWESOME.

There are some excellent possibilities for next season though. Do Dillon players defect to East Dillon? Does Buddy go with Coach Taylor or does he stick with the school he grew up loving? Does Coach Taylor face off with Joe McCoy in a steel cage match? Do Lyla and Tyra say goodbye to Dillon by having a marathon scissor session?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on April 14, 2009, 10:26:14 AM

Julie Taylor is AWESOME.

There are some excellent possibilities for next season though. Do Dillon players defect to East Dillon? Does Buddy go with Coach Taylor or does he stick with the school he grew up loving? Does Coach Taylor face off with Joe McCoy in a steel cage match? Do Lyla and Tyra say goodbye to Dillon by having a marathon scissor session?

Please let this happen, while Julie Taylor does topless jumping jacks in the background.

I suspect next season's "big game" is East Dillon vs. Dillon to go to state.  I sure hope East Dillon's mascot is the Duck.  Because I know how much impact a coach can have on a lovable ragtag group of down-and-out Ducks.  It'll be the feel-good story of the season.
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2009, 07:26:52 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on April 14, 2009, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: Slakee on April 14, 2009, 10:26:14 AM

Julie Taylor is AWESOME.

Please let this happen, while Julie Taylor does topless jumping jacks in the background.

I suspect next season's "big game" is East Dillon vs. Dillon to go to state.  I sure hope East Dillon's mascot is the Duck.  Because I know how much impact a coach can have on a lovable ragtag group of down-and-out Ducks.  It'll be the feel-good story of the season.

Too bad the stadium said "East Dillon Lions."

Also, I expect 2 games between the two teams... One in the regular season where Dillon runs over East Dillon. Then sometime in the playoffs (don't know if they'd do state championship because I would assume they'd be "bracketed" to see each other before then) where E. Dillon pulls off a miraculous comeback victory.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2009, 07:22:38 AM »

Connie Britton's tits.

She's filled with MILFy goodness.
TIME TO POST!

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

Starting up a new program at a new school will also allow the show to introduce a slew of new characters - to address the issue of how to replace those who are graduating to college.  With the ones that remain, what happens?  Does Saracen become an assistant coach at East Dillion High? etc.

2 more seasons of Julie Taylor makes me very happy.  I love the possibilties of this show, with rotating in new characters as older ones graduate.  Just like Dazed and Confused from a viewing audience standpoint...I keep watching, and the girls on the show stay the saaaaaame age.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:30 AM »
Quote from: J Rod on April 17, 2009, 11:58:18 AM

Starting up a new program at a new school will also allow the show to introduce a slew of new characters - to address the issue of how to replace those who are graduating to college.  With the ones that remain, what happens?  Does Saracen become an assistant coach at East Dillion High? etc.

2 more seasons of Julie Taylor makes me very happy.  I love the possibilties of this show, with rotating in new characters as older ones graduate.  Just like Dazed and Confused from a viewing audience standpoint...I keep watching, and the girls on the show stay the saaaaaame age.

That's the point I was going to make.  The two year extension gives the producers a chance to introduce a whole new cast of football players, but they have to be careful.  It worked for the first cast.  Can they continue to make quality stories and find good acting like they did once Street and Smash left?

Things that were awesome about this episode:  Buddy (as his real-life personna) doing a Chevy commercial before the show started, Lyla in a bathing suit and ponytail in the opening, and Mrs. Coach's sweater biscuits as she delivers the Wade Aikman news upon Coach.  I sincerely hope they rename East Dillon after the giraffes.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »

"sweater biscuits" = WIN
TIME TO POST!