News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 525,524 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #1065 on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 31, 2011, 02:48:39 PM
Aramis Ramirez

While it's probably time for this, he deserves better than to just appear in this thread lumped between gay Cowboys and John Grabow.

Thanks for being the best 3B I've ever rooted for, Aramis.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1066 on: October 31, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on October 31, 2011, 03:09:00 PM
Aramis Ramirez

While it's probably time for this, he deserves better than to just appear in this thread lumped between gay Cowboys and John Grabow.

Where did he sign?  Did I miss something?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2011, 03:14:35 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 31, 2011, 03:10:26 PM
Aramis Ramirez

The cubs are still on his "short" list.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Theo's the GM, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 31, 2011, 03:29:48 PM
Theo's the GM, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.

Hoyer'd.

Except he's not and it won't happen, unless ARam wants to get a take a huge paycut.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 31, 2011, 03:36:41 PM
Theo's the GM, [/s] in charge, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.

Hoyer'd.

Except he's not and it won't happen, unless ARam wants to get a take a huge paycut.

Yikes. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 31, 2011, 03:51:37 PM
Theo's the GM, [/s] in charge, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.

Hoyer'd.

Yikes. 

Double yikes?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1072 on: October 31, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
Theo's the GM, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.

Hoyer'd.

I dunno.  I think his turning down the option is all about maximising career earnings, rather than looking for the quick win next year.  There's no way Aramis is going to get $16mm next year as part of a long-term deal but he might get four years and $45mm, say.  If he takes the $16mm the Cubs are offering him now, that's all fine and dandy but then when he hits the free agent market in a year's time, he a) will be a year older b) will quite possibly have had a shitty year and c) could be up against Wright, Youkilis and Reynolds in the free agent market, any or all of whom could have had a good year.  If everything falls wrong for him, he could end up picking up shitty one- or two-year deals for the rest of his career and never make the forty-five he'd have made by turning down the seemingly easy money.

It seems like a sensible choice by Ramirez, and it also makes it possible for the Cubs to afford him, I reckon.  Or am I talking out of my arse?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1073 on: October 31, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 31, 2011, 04:18:19 PM
Theo's the GM, making Ramirez' sticking around at least somewhat possible, no?  I mean, he mashes and is really good when healthy.  Fuck all.

Hoyer'd.

I dunno.  I think his turning down the option is all about maximising career earnings, rather than looking for the quick win next year.  There's no way Aramis is going to get $16mm next year as part of a long-term deal but he might get four years and $45mm, say.  If he takes the $16mm the Cubs are offering him now, that's all fine and dandy but then when he hits the free agent market in a year's time, he a) will be a year older b) will quite possibly have had a shitty year and c) could be up against Wright, Youkilis and Reynolds in the free agent market, any or all of whom could have had a good year.  If everything falls wrong for him, he could end up picking up shitty one- or two-year deals for the rest of his career and never make the forty-five he'd have made by turning down the seemingly easy money.

It seems like a sensible choice by Ramirez, and it also makes it possible for the Cubs to afford him, I reckon.  Or am I talking out of my arse?

I don't think they want him at all; I think they'd fancy the supplemental pick instead.

Pena, on the other hand, might be worth keeping, but I'd imagine he wants a multi-year deal.  He might also be one of those classes of free agent that triggers a draft pick (or two) if another team signs him, so let's just see how this plays out.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1074 on: October 31, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 31, 2011, 04:23:22 PM

Hoyer'd.

I don't think they want him at all; I think they'd fancy the supplemental pick instead.

Pena, on the other hand, might be worth keeping, but I'd imagine he wants a multi-year deal.  He might also be one of those classes of free agent that triggers a draft pick (or two) if another team signs him, so let's just see how this plays out.

I think Ramirez is gone for the reasons Gil stated above. Picks are king.

As for Pena, he's going to be one of the next best options to the teams that miss out on Al and Prince. I think he's probably going to command a similar annual salary, maybe a tad less, and definitely a couple more years. He can get that from someone. He won't get it from the Cubs.

LaHair is a cheap stopgap what the hell option and I wouldn't be shocked if he's the starter.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1075 on: October 31, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
I need a dude to play co-ed softball tonight at Eckhart at 8:30. 12". Any stopgaps available?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1076 on: October 31, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 31, 2011, 04:23:22 PM

Hoyer'd.

Both are Type B and will net a Supplemental Round draft pick.  That's assuming they offer arbitration to Pena.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1077 on: October 31, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »

If Theo & Hoyer are as smart as we think they are, they're thinking 3-4 years down the road for contention.

In which case, neither ARam or Pena look to be part of that plan - and if they've made this sort of thinking known to the agents of these players, they probably don't want to be part of a rebuilding.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1078 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: BH on October 31, 2011, 03:14:35 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 31, 2011, 03:10:26 PM
Aramis Ramirez

The cubs are still on his "short" list.

....... No one?
........ Not even fork?

LEAVE OLEG OUT OF THIS

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1079 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 31, 2011, 06:53:07 PM
If Theo & Hoyer are as smart as we think they are, they're thinking 3-4 years down the road for contention.

I hope not. It shouldn't take 3-4 years for a well-run team with massive financial resources (and only $28 million committed in 2013) to compete in a weak division. It might take 3-4 years until their system is in place and the farm starts producing talent, but it won't take that long to be contenders.