News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 525,535 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #1155 on: December 13, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on December 13, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
Quote from: PANK! on December 13, 2011, 04:33:38 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on December 12, 2011, 06:30:02 PM
Quote from: BH on December 12, 2011, 12:29:50 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 12, 2011, 12:20:51 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 12, 2011, 11:46:42 AM
Quote from: PenPho on November 15, 2011, 01:41:54 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 14, 2011, 08:09:35 PM
Aramis Ramirez.

AIN'T GONE YE....yeah, he's gone.

Aramis Ramirez.

THIS MEANS MY KUBBEEZ GOTTA GET FIELDER NOW!

I still like this move, even if it means paying a lot for Fielder.

Unfortuantely, meathead Cubs fans are probably more likely to boo Ramirez upon his return to Wrigley than Alex Gonzalez.  I would happily pay to sit behind the plate and lay into him for a game.  I honestly can't think of a former Cub who I despise more than him.

Why would you boo Alex Gonzalez anyway?  Do you think he WANTED to bobble that ball?  Would standing up and screaming at him for fucking up a play that he's probably replayed in his mind at least 10,000 times since really going to even make you feel better, let alone make him feel worse?  I'm asking honestly, and this is coming from an old drunken, leather-lunged, meatball heckler.  I honestly think there's something wrong with your brain if you're being serious (and part of me says you CAN'T be).

This is irony, right?

This from same person who has-on countless occasions-brought up the horror of Mark DeRosa booting the double play in that one playoff series (Dodgers? D-Backs? I can't remember any more) where they ended up getting swept anyway.  

If the above post was sincere (or Sincere IronyTM,) then I honestly think there's something wrong with your brain.

I think what we're seeing here, in coincidence with the end of Mercury's retrograde is a kinder, gentler Huard. He has probably realized that a softer, quieter approach can get him well into paydirt where he actually longed to be. Frustrations now ended, he's free to forgive everyone up to and including poor DeRo, who grounded into a DP against Livan and dashed the Cubs last, best hope avoiding the broom vs. the Snakes in 2007. Mark probably kicked one in that fateful abortion of an inning in Game 2 of the '08  NLDS but I've scrubbed most of that from my memory.

#2big4anal
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1156 on: December 13, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
This from same person who has-on countless occasions-brought up the horror of Mark DeRosa booting the double play in that one playoff series (Dodgers? D-Backs? I can't remember any more) where they ended up getting swept anyway.  

If the above post was sincere (or Sincere IronyTM,) then I honestly think there's something wrong with your brain.

*Edit: In my effort to wipe all of this from my memory, I think DeRosa actually hit into a double-play, rather than boot one in the field. But I'm not entirely sure, it could have been either or both. Original point still stands.

I'd also like to hear the distinction. And yeah, it was DeRosa grounding into a double play with the Cubs down 2 games to 0, and 3-1 in the 5th inning with the bases loaded.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1157 on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 13, 2011, 03:36:27 PM

*Edit: In my effort to wipe all of this from my memory, I think DeRosa actually hit into a double-play, rather than boot one in the field. But I'm not entirely sure, it could have been either or both. Original point still stands.

I'd also like to hear the distinction. And yeah, it was DeRosa grounding into a double play with the Cubs down 2 games to 0, and 3-1 in the 5th inning with the bases loaded.

DeRosa was one of four Cubs to ground into a double play that game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200710060.shtml

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that when you have four of those in a game, you tend to lose.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1158 on: December 13, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on December 13, 2011, 03:51:53 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 13, 2011, 03:36:27 PM

DeRosa was one of four Cubs to ground into a double play that game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200710060.shtml

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that when you have four of those in a game, you tend to lose.

As meatball as Huey's lingering angst is I remember DeRosa's at-bat vividly as do, I'm sure, the rest of you. It was by far the worst part of a terrible game.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1159 on: December 13, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Unfortuantely, meathead Cubs fans are probably more likely to boo Ramirez upon his return to Wrigley than Alex Gonzalez.  I would happily pay to sit behind the plate and lay into him for a game.  I honestly can't think of a former Cub who I despise more than him.

Why would you boo Alex Gonzalez anyway?  Do you think he WANTED to bobble that ball?  Would standing up and screaming at him for fucking up a play that he's probably replayed in his mind at least 10,000 times since really going to even make you feel better, let alone make him feel worse?  I'm asking honestly, and this is coming from an old drunken, leather-lunged, meatball heckler.  I honestly think there's something wrong with your brain if you're being serious (and part of me says you CAN'T be).

It'd have more effect heckling him in some random park--people are resiliant psychologically...odds are if he were at say, Petco, he wouldn't have thought of it that day or be thinking about it during his at bat.  And yes, I would hope that upon hearing it, he'd feel something, preferably awful, terrible, soul-blackening feeling.

To be fair, if I made millions of dollars over a career, but botched the biggest ground ball in the history of the Cubs' franchise, I'd say I deserved it too.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1160 on: December 14, 2011, 08:03:43 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on December 13, 2011, 10:37:44 PM

To be fair, if I made millions of dollars over a career, but botched the biggest ground ball in the history of the Cubs' franchise, I'd say I deserved it too.

No you wouldn't.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1161 on: December 14, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Unfortuantely, meathead Cubs fans are probably more likely to boo Ramirez upon his return to Wrigley than Alex Gonzalez.  I would happily pay to sit behind the plate and lay into him for a game.  I honestly can't think of a former Cub who I despise more than him.

Why would you boo Alex Gonzalez anyway?  Do you think he WANTED to bobble that ball?  Would standing up and screaming at him for fucking up a play that he's probably replayed in his mind at least 10,000 times since really going to even make you feel better, let alone make him feel worse?  I'm asking honestly, and this is coming from an old drunken, leather-lunged, meatball heckler.  I honestly think there's something wrong with your brain if you're being serious (and part of me says you CAN'T be).

It'd have more effect heckling him in some random park--people are resiliant psychologically...odds are if he were at say, Petco, he wouldn't have thought of it that day or be thinking about it during his at bat.  And yes, I would hope that upon hearing it, he'd feel something, preferably awful, terrible, soul-blackening feeling.

Intrepid Reader: Ball used in the bottom of the sixth inning of Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS

Did we meet? I don't think we did. Then again, I didn't meet Ryne Sandberg's nor Leon Durham's glove either.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1162 on: December 14, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 14, 2011, 08:47:11 AM
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Intrepid Reader: Ball used in the bottom of the sixth inning of Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS

Did we meet? I don't think we did. Then again, I didn't meet Ryne Sandberg's nor Leon Durham's glove either.

To be fair, Gwynn's ball hit the lip and shot over Sandberg's head.

And maybe part of my thinly-veiled insecurity is the fact that Leon Durham was my favorite player on that Cubs team.  I rock a #10 in honor of Bull when I play ball, and I've been doing it since before I grew to despise Ron Santo.  I can't be mad at Durham either.  If you're expecting me to be rational and consistent, well, sorry.

And Mark DeRosa is worse than Hitler.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1163 on: December 14, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 14, 2011, 08:59:30 AM

And maybe part of my thinly-veiled insecurity is the fact that Leon Durham was my favorite player on that Cubs team.  I rock a #10 in honor of Bull when I play ball, and I've been doing it since before I grew to despise Ron Santo.  I can't be mad at Durham either.  If you're expecting me to be rational and consistent, well, sorry.

[/quote]

That was 28 years ago.  When it happened I walked out of the house and around the block so that I wouldn't say anything that I would regret later.  I am sure that Mrs. Cubbieblue told the kids (they were teenagers then) to act as though nothing had happened.  When I returned nothing was said.  Life went on.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1164 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Even after the clusterfuck that was the 8th inning in 2003, the fact was that they had another home game after that. The ground ball in 1984 is equalled in Cub Lore only by Hack Wilson's fly ball in the sun.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1165 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 14, 2011, 09:35:40 AM
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Even after the clusterfuck that was the 8th inning in 2003, the fact was that they had another home game after that. The ground ball in 1984 is equalled in Cub Lore only by Hack Wilson's fly ball in the sun.

I can't help but wonder if you got a sunburn that day.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1166 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 14, 2011, 09:35:40 AM
Aramis Ramirez.

Aramis Ramirez.

Never mind any of that.  On May 26, 1984, Larry Bowa hits a two-out, two-run single in the sixth to pull the Cubs into a 5-5 tie with Cincinnati. During the Seventh Inning Stretch, Bowa is named the Midas Touch Player of the Game. That asshole was too busy reveling in the muffler repair shop chain honor to do simple things such as cleanly field a ground ball with a runner on first base and one out in the 9th with the Cubs nursing a 6-5 lead. Instead of turning the tailor made double play, Cesar Cedeno reached base and a young Eric Davis (who reached base on a completely unmemorable error by Ryne Sandberg) made it to second.

So after Steve Trout (yes, he came in relief in this game) retired Dave Parker, pinch-hitter Tony Perez hit a two run single to put the Reds up 7-6.

Then, of course, with the tying run on second and two out, Mr. Midas Touch Player of the Game meekly grounded out to first. Reds swept the Cubs. Not cool, Larry. A not-quite 9-year-old T.J. was willing to tell anyone who would listen that day that Larry Bowa should be burned at the stake.

I'm still angry at Larry Bowa and Midas.

Should Larry Bowa replace Ron Roenicke as manager of the Brewers, I'm sitting next to CFiHP, but not heckling Alex Gonzalez, nor Aramis, nor PED-boy, nor anyone but Larry Bowa. He fucked up what would have been a pleasant afternoon for me 27 years ago!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 14, 2011, 09:53:55 AM
Never mind any of that.  On May 26, 1984, Larry Bowa hits a two-out, two-run single in the sixth to pull the Cubs into a 5-5 tie with Cincinnati. During the Seventh Inning Stretch, Bowa is named the Midas Touch Player of the Game. That asshole was too busy reveling in the muffler repair shop chain honor to do simple things such as cleanly field a ground ball with a runner on first base and one out in the 9th with the Cubs nursing a 6-5 lead. Instead of turning the tailor made double play, Cesar Cedeno reached base and a young Eric Davis (who reached base on a completely unmemorable error by Ryne Sandberg) made it to second.

So after Steve Trout (yes, he came in relief in this game) retired Dave Parker, pinch-hitter Tony Perez hit a two run single to put the Reds up 7-6.

Then, of course, with the tying run on second and two out, Mr. Midas Touch Player of the Game meekly grounded out to first. Reds swept the Cubs. Not cool, Larry. A not-quite 9-year-old T.J. was willing to tell anyone who would listen that day that Larry Bowa should be burned at the stake.

Should Larry Bowa replace Ron Roenicke as manager of the Brewers, I'm sitting next to CFiHP, but not heckling Alex Gonzalez, nor Aramis, nor PED-boy, nor anyone but Larry Bowa. He fucked up what would have been a pleasant afternoon for me 27 years ago!

I remember listening to that game on the radio...one of the few Saturday afternoon games not televised. At least Harry did play-by-play for innings 1-3 and 7-9 as if it was TV.  I still remember his disgusted call on the Perez single. I also remember the next day when Dennis Eckersley made his Cubs debut, Keith Moreland hit a controversial homerun that was overturned, and Don Zimmer was tackled by Mario Soto during the ensuing fracas, swallowed his chew, and vomited on the field. /#rainman

Most of all, though, fuck Mark DeRosa.  
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1168 on: December 14, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 14, 2011, 10:52:35 AM
Quote from: Brownie on December 14, 2011, 09:53:55 AM

I remember listening to that game on the radio...one of the few Saturday afternoon games not televised. At least Harry did play-by-play for innings 1-3 and 7-9 as if it was TV.  I still remember his disgusted call on the Perez single. I also remember the next day when Dennis Eckersley made his Cubs debut, Keith Moreland hit a controversial homerun that was overturned, and Don Zimmer was tackled by Mario Soto during the ensuing fracas, swallowed his chew, and vomited on the field. /#rainman

Most of all, though, fuck Mark DeRosa.

That story is worthy of this thread title. Well played, Raymond.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1169 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on December 14, 2011, 09:28:36 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 14, 2011, 08:59:30 AM

That was 28 years ago.  When it happened I walked out of the house and around the block so that I wouldn't say anything that I would regret later.  I am sure that Mrs. Cubbieblue told the kids (they were teenagers then) to act as though nothing had happened.  When I returned nothing was said.  Life went on.
[/quote]

You're a stand-up guy, Stew. DadPex broke my legs, threw me down the basement stairs and called me a coke-addled, jive-spitting, nigger. I didn't know what he meant at the time. Now I do.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.