News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 525,523 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #1215 on: January 05, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Meh, I was way sadder when Wood left.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1216 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 05, 2012, 08:56:23 AM

Racist.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1217 on: January 05, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 05, 2012, 09:20:52 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 05, 2012, 08:56:23 AM

Racist.

You know a spade when you see one, huh?

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1218 on: January 05, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 05, 2012, 08:38:01 AM
I support the Cubs burning this bitch to the ground.

But keep Soriano, just to piss off Chuck.

I totally support this post.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1219 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 05, 2012, 07:39:10 AM
I'm actually surprised we got anything back in return. Volstad isn't great, but he's a cost controlled useable pitcher for a few years.
Hendry would have spent the entire offseason trashing Z, only to release him paying all his salary and getting nothing in return.
This is a nice change. Soriano is next.

The fact that they tried to at least make it sound like they were willing to give him a shot to stick around and that he had value to the Cubs is a nice change of pace from the "This guy quit on the team and is human paraquat, anyone want to take this asshole off our hands?" strategy of the Hendry regime. I can at least appreciate that.

Also, does anyone find it strange that Jed Hoyer is basically never going to get credit for any move the Cubs make? It's always going to be a Theo move. Can't decide if that's good or bad for Jed.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1220 on: January 05, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 05, 2012, 10:37:52 AM
I'm actually surprised we got anything back in return. Volstad isn't great, but he's a cost controlled useable pitcher for a few years.
Hendry would have spent the entire offseason trashing Z, only to release him paying all his salary and getting nothing in return.

The fact that they tried to at least make it sound like they were willing to give him a shot to stick around and that he had value to the Cubs is a nice change of pace from the "This guy quit on the team and is human paraquat, anyone want to take this asshole off our hands?" strategy of the Hendry regime. I can at least appreciate that.

Also, does anyone find it strange that Jed Hoyer is basically never going to get credit for any move the Cubs make? It's always going to be a Theo move. Can't decide if that's good or bad for Jed.

For as much shit as Hendry gets--much of it deserved--he did have a fairly good track record with trades, even those in which they dragged a guy through the mud before trading him.  

As shitty as Carlos Silva was, he was more productive than Milton (from that point forward) and trading Hundley for Grudz and Karros still remains his shining moment.  Even trading Barrett at his lowest point for Bowen and Burke was basically a wash.  

I get that this new regime is a lot smarter and they'll undoubtedly do better than the prior one, but for all of Hendry's faults I don't think "not getting good return for out-of-favor players" is one of them.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1221 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on January 05, 2012, 11:02:25 AM
For as much shit as Hendry gets--much of it deserved--he did have a fairly good track record with trades, even those in which they dragged a guy through the mud before trading him.  

As shitty as Carlos Silva was, he was more productive than Milton (from that point forward) and trading Hundley for Grudz and Karros still remains his shining moment.  Even trading Barrett at his lowest point for Bowen and Burke was basically a wash.  

I get that this new regime is a lot smarter and they'll undoubtedly do better than the prior one, but for all of Hendry's faults I don't think "not getting good return for out-of-favor players" is one of them.

My memory is kinda shitty, but was Lofton and Ramirez from the Pirates a Hendry trade?  That worked out well.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1222 on: January 05, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »

I didn't understand that insult, and then I realised I was thinking of kumquats.  Kumquats.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1223 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

I'm quite obviously referring to the Zambrano and Sosa episodes. But yes, I'll be happy to admit that Hendry made some good trades in his 46 years with the organization.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1224 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »

Not to mention a washed-up Sammy Sosa for future World Series champions Jerry Hairston, Jr. and Mike Fontenot, and future 25-year-old spring training retiree David Crouthers. That's getting almost-something for virtually nothing.

(Hairston would go on to turn into Phil Nevin who, in turn, would become Adam Harben, who would be released after an injury in Daytona in 2008. For his part, Little Babe Ruth would yield something called Evan Crawford, a former Hoosier OF who put up an OPS of .763 as a 22-year-old in high A last season.)
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1225 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 05, 2012, 11:20:37 AM

Not to mention a washed-up Sammy Sosa for future World Series champions Jerry Hairston, Jr. and Mike Fontenot, and future 25-year-old spring training retiree David Crouthers. That's getting almost-something for virtually nothing.

(Hairston would go on to turn into Phil Nevin who, in turn, would become Adam Harben, who would be released after an injury in Daytona in 2008. For his part, Little Babe Ruth would yield something called Evan Crawford, a former Hoosier OF who put up an OPS of .763 as a 22-year-old in high A last season.)

I actually completely forgot about Sosa, who is obviously the most brazen example of a player that they dragged through the mud.
Considering what he did after his time with the Cubs, Fontenot was probably a reasonable return. 

Which is fucking pathetic.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1226 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 05, 2012, 11:09:41 AM

My memory is kinda shitty, but was Lofton and Ramirez from the Pirates a Hendry trade?  That worked out well.

Yes.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1227 on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM

Yes.

That was a salary dump by the Pirates.  I'm not saying it wasn't a good trade, but it wasn't exactly daylight robbery, know what I mean?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1228 on: January 05, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 01:15:16 PM

Yes.

That was a salary dump by the Pirates.  I'm not saying it wasn't a good trade, but it wasn't exactly daylight robbery, know what I mean?

Hee Seop for D. Lee was.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1229 on: January 05, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 05, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 01:15:16 PM

Yes.

Hee Seop for D. Lee was.

Jim made some good moves but I would say that the dragging of Sosa and Zambrano through the mud (Zambrano more than once) obscures some of that. Also the horrendous slew of long, expensive contracts with NTCs.