News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 525,576 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #1230 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 05, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 01:15:16 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 05, 2012, 11:09:41 AM
Quote from: PenPho on January 05, 2012, 11:02:25 AM
For as much shit as Hendry gets--much of it deserved--he did have a fairly good track record with trades, even those in which they dragged a guy through the mud before trading him.  

As shitty as Carlos Silva was, he was more productive than Milton (from that point forward) and trading Hundley for Grudz and Karros still remains his shining moment.  Even trading Barrett at his lowest point for Bowen and Burke was basically a wash.  

I get that this new regime is a lot smarter and they'll undoubtedly do better than the prior one, but for all of Hendry's faults I don't think "not getting good return for out-of-favor players" is one of them.

My memory is kinda shitty, but was Lofton and Ramirez from the Pirates a Hendry trade?  That worked out well.

Yes.

That was a salary dump by the Pirates.  I'm not saying it wasn't a good trade, but it wasn't exactly daylight robbery, know what I mean?

Hee Seop for D. Lee was.

Nope, that was pretty much exactly the same thing as the Lofton/Ramirez trade - a salary dump by the Marlins in one of their traditional post-World-Series fire sales.

If you're looking for examples of a canny GM getting more than his money's worth out of another GM, these ain't them.  Actually, with the exception of Hundley I'm struggling to think of a trade that turned out nice that didn't involve Hendry taking on salary.  Miller for Barrett?  Sadler for Simon was good, but only very briefly.  He got cash in the Kendall trade which probably made it financially a wash.  Billy Beane, he's not.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #1231 on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »
This is just getting us another step closer to the Cubs winning the 2015 World Series, as portrayed in Back to the Future II. Only thing left is for Selig to move the now Miami Marlins (No coincidence that they switched from being named Florida just in time) to the American League. Zambrano's trade means he can now tank a game in that World Series, and Guillen's "managing" will cost Miami a key game as well.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1232 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
For as much shit as Hendry gets--much of it deserved--he did have a fairly good track record with trades, even those in which they dragged a guy through the mud before trading him.  

You are joking right? Have you forgotten about Juan Pierre?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1233 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 05, 2012, 02:28:33 PM

You are joking right? Have you forgotten about Juan Pierre?

... and Tony F. Womack.  And Jose F. Macias.  And Jody F. Gerut.  And Matt F. Lawton.  And Freddie F. Bynum.  And Neal F. Cotts.  And Craig F. Monroe.  And Steve F. F. Trachsel.

I could go on, but I can't face it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1234 on: January 05, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
HEY, FUCKERS. THEO FUCKING EPSTEIN IS RUNNING THIS SHIT NOW. PULL YOUR BONERS BACK OUT

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1235 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 02:19:53 PM
Nope, that was pretty much exactly the same thing as the Lofton/Ramirez trade - a salary dump by the Marlins in one of their traditional post-World-Series fire sales.

If you're looking for examples of a canny GM getting more than his money's worth out of another GM, these ain't them.  Actually, with the exception of Hundley I'm struggling to think of a trade that turned out nice that didn't involve Hendry taking on salary.  Miller for Barrett?  Sadler for Simon was good, but only very briefly.  He got cash in the Kendall trade which probably made it financially a wash.  Billy Beane, he's not.

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Fine.  The Nomar trade was fucking brilliant.  Granted everything went sideways at the end of the season but the Cubs gave up nothing in that deal.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1236 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2012, 02:43:32 PM

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Fine.  The Nomar trade was fucking brilliant.  Granted everything went sideways at the end of the season but the Cubs gave up nothing in that deal.

I excluded that deal because I'm pretty sure that the Cubs (A Gonz for Nomah) took on salary.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1237 on: January 05, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 02:48:25 PM
I excluded that deal because I'm pretty sure that the Cubs (A Gonz for Nomah) took on salary.

Nomar's deal that year paid him $11.5MM and the two guys that Boston ended up with (Mientkiewicz and Cabrera) made combined about $9MM.  Not really a case of Boston dumping salary so they could pay the electric bills like Pittsburgh or Florida.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1238 on: January 05, 2012, 03:07:58 PM »
Long story short, Hendry was a bad GM because the team is really bad but maybe he wasn't always all bad. Epstoyer may have to make the team worse before it possibly gets better. We will all miss Zambrano, but he probably deserved to be tossed overboard, it sucks that this is a process oft-repeated in the annals of Cub history. Fin.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1239 on: January 05, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2012, 03:04:25 PM

Nomar's deal that year paid him $11.5MM and the two guys that Boston ended up with (Mientkiewicz and Cabrera) made combined about $9MM.  Not really a case of Boston dumping salary so they could pay the electric bills like Pittsburgh or Florida.

Mientkewicz, Cabrera and the Red Sox are irrelevant to my point.  Hendry spent nearly six million (11.5 for Nomah less 5.75 for Gonzalez) making the Cubs better.  Big fucking whoop.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1240 on: January 05, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 03:17:17 PM

Mientkewicz, Cabrera and the Red Sox are irrelevant to my point.  Hendry spent nearly six million (11.5 for Nomah less 5.75 for Gonzalez) making the Cubs better.  Big fucking whoop.

I keep re-reading this thinking it will make sense to me.  It doesn't.  Your point is insane.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1241 on: January 05, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2012, 03:24:49 PM

I keep re-reading this thinking it will make sense to me.  It doesn't.  Your point is insane.

This is the worst battle ever.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1242 on: January 05, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 05, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 05, 2012, 01:15:16 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 05, 2012, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on January 05, 2012, 11:09:41 AM

As shitty as Carlos Silva was, he was more productive than Milton (from that point forward) and trading Hundley for Grudz and Karros still remains his shining moment.  Even trading Barrett at his lowest point for Bowen and Burke was basically a wash.  

I get that this new regime is a lot smarter and they'll undoubtedly do better than the prior one, but for all of Hendry's faults I don't think "not getting good return for out-of-favor players" is one of them.

My memory is kinda shitty, but was Lofton and Ramirez from the Pirates a Hendry trade?  That worked out well.

Yes.

That was a salary dump by the Pirates.  I'm not saying it wasn't a good trade, but it wasn't exactly daylight robbery, know what I mean?

Hee Seop for D. Lee was.

Cool. After the Marlins win the World Series next year, I look forward to the Cubs dealing Darwin Barney and Kyler Burke to the Marlins for Zambrano.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1243 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 05, 2012, 03:28:38 PM

I can't find this headline on Rotoworld anywhere.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1244 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 05, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
Quote from: BH on January 05, 2012, 03:28:38 PM

I can't find this headline on Rotoworld anywhere.

This thread is living up to its title.

Also, we're talking about the Cubs again. It's a fucking miracle.