News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Single Greatest Thread Ever  ( 525,526 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Single Greatest Thread Ever
« Reply #1515 on: July 25, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
Buster Olney took a break from tickling Derek Jeter's STD-riddled balls to tweet that the Cubs now plan to keep Dempster and make a qualifying offer to get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere. If this isn't just a negotiation ploy, then enjoy last place, Demp.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1516 on: July 25, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2012, 10:51:58 AM
Buster Olney took a break from tickling Derek Jeter's STD-riddled balls to tweet that the Cubs now plan to keep Dempster and make a qualifying offer to get a draft pick if he signs elsewhere. If this isn't just a negotiation ploy, then enjoy last place, Demp.

I think this is what Demp prefers. There is no pressure and then he can act like the assclown he is.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1517 on: July 25, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2012, 10:40:40 AM
Adding that what I don't get it is why Dempster would think it's in his own best interest to do something like this with mere months left in a contract year.

The Dodgers and Braves have virtually identical records. Is the difference between 2-3 months in LA and 2-3 months in Atlanta really important enough to him that he's willing to plant seeds of doubt in potential free agency suitors' minds?

Granted, that could be part of the reason he's pissed that word leaked out early. But that was the card he was dealt here. And it doesn't seem like it would really benefit him to dig in his heels once the shitstorm started blowing.

I don't understand how he can be so short-sighted here. It looks like the Cubs are going to end up having to keep him for the rest of the season and then work out the compensation based on the qualifying offer the Cubs extend to him. In the interim, Dempster is going to be treated like absolute shit at home, the place he loves so much. People aren't happy about this, nor should they be.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1518 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2012, 10:51:58 AM

This is akin to be franchised in the NFL. Only this will cost Dempster $20-$25MM, especially if 2013 is a total train wreck or Tommy John Disease comes out of remission

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1519 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Adding that what I don't get it is why Dempster would think it's in his own best interest to do something like this with mere months left in a contract year.

The Dodgers and Braves have virtually identical records. Is the difference between 2-3 months in LA and 2-3 months in Atlanta really important enough to him that he's willing to plant seeds of doubt in potential free agency suitors' minds?

Granted, that could be part of the reason he's pissed that word leaked out early. But that was the card he was dealt here. And it doesn't seem like it would really benefit him to dig in his heels once the shitstorm started blowing.

I don't understand how he can be so short-sighted here. It looks like the Cubs are going to end up having to keep him for the rest of the season and then work out the compensation based on the qualifying offer the Cubs extend to him. In the interim, Dempster is going to be treated like absolute shit at home, the place he loves so much. People aren't happy about this, nor should they be.

Enjoy the boo-birds, Shecky.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1520 on: July 25, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
What is the over/under on Dempster injurying himself in his next start?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1521 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 25, 2012, 11:28:06 AM

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1522 on: July 25, 2012, 11:34:48 AM »
Here's hoping...

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1523 on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

The whole injurying?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1524 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 25, 2012, 11:34:48 AM
Here's hoping...

Hoping what?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1525 on: July 25, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2012, 11:48:00 AM
Here's hoping...

Hoping what?

Hoping for the over/under.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1526 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

Yeah, that's a nice sentiment but it's not gonna hai.  If it's taken this particular move for some of the more enlightened fans--read: YOU PEOPLE-- to finally reach their annoyance threshold with this cubby-wubby asshat from hell, then the other 90% of Wrigley Nation's not going to turn on the guy just like that.   He's too...white.  

This is what happens when you tolerate bullshit.  You were all warned and yet you all laughed, just because it's funny to laugh at the fat guy in a tronsuit and a PANKhelmet but NOW who's laughing?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1527 on: July 25, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 25, 2012, 11:56:44 AM

Yeah, that's a nice sentiment but it's not gonna hai.  If it's taken this particular move for some of the more enlightened fans--read: YOU PEOPLE-- to finally reach their annoyance threshold with this cubby-wubby asshat from hell, then the other 90% of Wrigley Nation's not going to turn on the guy just like that.   He's too...white.  

This is what happens when you tolerate bullshit.  You were all warned and yet you all laughed, just because it's funny to laugh at the fat guy in a tronsuit and a PANKhelmet but NOW who's laughing?

*flips car*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1528 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Here's hoping...
Wait, how would that be good for the Cubs?

Oh why do I bother.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1529 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 25, 2012, 11:56:44 AM

Of course they're not going to turn on him. He wants to stay. He wants to be a Cub. He's just like Kerry Wood (not even remotely close), or Ron Santo, who turned down a deal to the Angels. I'm not sure what the Angels offered, but I'm sure if it came out that he turned down a deal that would have netted Nolan Ryan and a young Frank Tanana, fans would be all the more grateful, because instead Santo holding out for the Sox meant Steve Stone would become a Cub and begin his long association with the team.

I hate people.