News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Daniel Murphy. A Cub.  ( 4,701 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Daniel Murphy. A Cub.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
Quote from: World's #1 Astros Fan on August 24, 2018, 10:50:57 AM
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on August 24, 2018, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 10:28:12 AM
What difference does it make if I have kids?

It makes a difference.

Oh. then I guess I shouldn't comment anymore.

I'll edify Kurt by informing him that flannj's eldest is much closer to Kurt's age than he is to Kurt's son.

I've lost the thread here. Are we having some sort of hypothetical discussion or are there Desipiots who subscribe to Daniel Murphy's newsletter?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »

It makes a difference.

I'll edify Kurt by informing him that flannj's eldest is much closer to Kurt's age than he is to Kurt's son.

Thanks for that. I'm not surprised that flannj has a kid - I'm just surprised that I have to explain that people don't understand parenting until they have to do it. It's exhausting and stressful, even at the best of times. You want everything to be as perfect for your kid as possible, knowing full well that life is a shitshow and there are unexpected issues, always. Protecting your kid from racists seems to me to be a no-brainer.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 24, 2018, 11:05:28 AM

It makes a difference.

Thanks for that. I'm not surprised that flannj has a kid - I'm just surprised that I have to explain that people don't understand parenting until they have to do it. It's exhausting and stressful, even at the best of times. You want everything to be as perfect for your kid as possible, knowing full well that life is a shitshow and there are unexpected issues, always. Protecting your kid from racists seems to me to be a no-brainer.

I have three of them and you're a self centered idiot.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 11:07:56 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on August 24, 2018, 11:05:28 AM

It makes a difference.

I have three of them and you're a self centered idiot.

Okay.
M'lady.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
I have no wish to try to shelter my kids from any of that shit - largely because, try as I might, I am guaranteed to fail.  Indeed, there is more or less nothing from which STonk and I shelter the Tonklets - we are honest and open with them about pretty much everything, and actively encourage them to ask questions about even the most difficult or embarrassing topics.  The funny thing is, those topics then become not difficult or embarrassing any more, and they're informed enough to deal with them when they do inevitably come up outside the home.  I am also quite happy for my kids to come into contact with any kind of bigot, because I've discussed with them at length why that shit is wrong and trust them implicitly not to pay the slightest bit of attention to any of it.

My kids also know ALL the swear words and although they are not allowed to use them in polite company, I would much rather they learned them from me than from some other cunt.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 24, 2018, 02:49:36 PM
I have no wish to try to shelter my kids from any of that shit - largely because, try as I might, I am guaranteed to fail.  Indeed, there is more or less nothing from which STonk and I shelter the Tonklets - we are honest and open with them about pretty much everything, and actively encourage them to ask questions about even the most difficult or embarrassing topics.  The funny thing is, those topics then become not difficult or embarrassing any more, and they're informed enough to deal with them when they do inevitably come up outside the home.  I am also quite happy for my kids to come into contact with any kind of bigot, because I've discussed with them at length why that shit is wrong and trust them implicitly not to pay the slightest bit of attention to any of it.

My kids also know ALL the swear words and although they are not allowed to use them in polite company, I would much rather they learned them from me than from some other cunt.

No, it's better to send them out in the world dressed in bubble wrap.
They'll get along just fine.

But I would only know this because I have kids. Which makes me some sort of expert because it's "different".
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »

I think it's high time HTonklet gets an account on here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 24, 2018, 03:03:19 PM

It's really not.  He'd just spam the board with the endless stream of Youtube videos that he thinks are high-larious and which never, EVER cause me even the slightest amusement.  His favourite at the moment is a clip of Penn Gillette yelling at a Chihuahua.  Kids these days, eh?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 02:57:43 PM

But I would only know this because I have kids. Which makes me some sort of expert because it's "different".

Pretty passive aggressive of you. It's not a black and white, "if not this, then THAT" issue.

The whole point is communication with your kids. "Dad, why don't you let me play with ______?" "Well, their family doesn't like people like your aunt, just because she's gay. They have a lot of hatred for people like her, and we want them to know it's not ok with us so we don't pretend like they're our friends."

See, I don't subscribe to the "punch a nazi" mentality. I subscribe to the "ostracize a nazi" mentality instead. You want to be my friend? Don't be a racist/bigot/whatever. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it's the one I'm comfortable with personally. I'm not going to teach my kid that his friends can be racist or bigoted. I'm really sorry if that's something you can't agree with.

Edited to add: and yes, I will take a parent's opinion on parenting over a non-parent literally every time. Is it so hard to believe that people without kids can't fully grasp what it's like to have kids?
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 24, 2018, 03:16:53 PM

Pretty passive aggressive of you. It's not a black and white, "if not this, then THAT" issue.

The whole point is communication with your kids. "Dad, why don't you let me play with ______?" "Well, their family doesn't like people like your aunt, just because she's gay. They have a lot of hatred for people like her, and we want them to know it's not ok with us so we don't pretend like they're our friends."

See, I don't subscribe to the "punch a nazi" mentality. I subscribe to the "ostracize a nazi" mentality instead. You want to be my friend? Don't be a racist/bigot/whatever. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution, but it's the one I'm comfortable with personally. I'm not going to teach my kid that his friends can be racist or bigoted. I'm really sorry if that's something you can't agree with.

Edited to add: and yes, I will take a parent's opinion on parenting over a non-parent literally every time. Is it so hard to believe that people without kids can't fully grasp what it's like to have kids?

So the kids lose on both sides.
That'll fix things.

And your comment about "non-parents" is incredibly and insultingly dismissive.
Fully grasp? That's as closed minded as the the bigots you are so worried about.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 03:35:52 PM

That'll fix things.

Fully grasp? That's as closed minded as the the bigots you are so worried about.

Okay.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on August 24, 2018, 03:37:58 PM
Quote from: flannj on August 24, 2018, 03:35:52 PM

That'll fix things.

Okay.

Pretty passive aggressive here imo
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 24, 2018, 03:15:53 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on August 24, 2018, 03:03:19 PM

It's really not.  He'd just spam the board with the endless stream of Youtube videos that he thinks are high-larious and which never, EVER cause me even the slightest amusement.  His favourite at the moment is a clip of Penn Gillette yelling at a Chihuahua.  Kids these days, eh?

We have a thread somewhere around here that's filled with youtube links no one ever clicked on, so that really wouldn't matter.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
Anyway, bump for a go-ahead homer or whatever.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?