News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 134,167 )

Apexx

• Apul is edad.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:50 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: morpheus on May 29, 2009, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 29, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 29, 2009, 12:15:49 PM
Al Yellon: "Hoffpauir sucked during his September callup if you exclude the games where he got hits."

Chuck: "Soriano was is terrible unless you include the once-a every-other-month week-and-a-half spurts where he's the best hitter you'd see anywhere which makes him tolerable so long as you ignore his defense."

You really think that his defensive shortcomings overcome his offensive skills?  Luckily, they make statistics on fielding too. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01-field.shtml

Let's take 2008 as an example. If you want to use fielding percentage, his was .975 versus league average .985 in LF.  A little below average.  The Rtot, which is a comprehensive runs above average statistic, was 1.7.  i.e, he CREATED 1.7 runs above average during the year with his defense.  At least, you'd have to call him an average fielder, unless you want to ignore all numerical evidence and go with the Gary Hughes method. 

In summary: above average on offense, average to above average on defense.  That does not equal awful, awful.

You mean he created runs for opponents, right?

Seriously, how can someone with a below average fielding percentage be considered above average?

By throwing dudes out at the plate?

RVFACED.
The Thirteenth Tenet of Pexism: Internet Apex is the id barking at you and you deserve everything you get from it.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »
I think 10.17(c) might also apply to Bonk.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2009, 05:55:52 PM »
Quote from: Jon on May 29, 2009, 05:48:39 PM

You're only saying that because you have Awfulonso's dick hanging out of your mouth.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Jon on May 29, 2009, 05:48:39 PM

You're only saying that because you have Awfulonso's dick hanging out of your mouth.

Well, I'm just typing it. I can't talk around that cock.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
Quote from: Apexx on May 29, 2009, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: morpheus on May 29, 2009, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 29, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 29, 2009, 12:15:49 PM
Al Yellon: "Hoffpauir sucked during his September callup if you exclude the games where he got hits."

Chuck: "Soriano was is terrible unless you include the once-a every-other-month week-and-a-half spurts where he's the best hitter you'd see anywhere which makes him tolerable so long as you ignore his defense."

You really think that his defensive shortcomings overcome his offensive skills?  Luckily, they make statistics on fielding too.  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01-field.shtml

Let's take 2008 as an example. If you want to use fielding percentage, his was .975 versus league average .985 in LF.  A little below average.  The Rtot, which is a comprehensive runs above average statistic, was 1.7.  i.e, he CREATED 1.7 runs above average during the year with his defense.  At least, you'd have to call him an average fielder, unless you want to ignore all numerical evidence and go with the Gary Hughes method.  

In summary: above average on offense, average to above average on defense.  That does not equal awful, awful.

You mean he created runs for opponents, right?

Seriously, how can someone with a below average fielding percentage be considered above average?

By throwing dudes out at the plate?

RVFACED.

So how does it measure his stupid ass not hustling and then throwing to third, allowing a runner to advance to second in the process? You want a defensive stat? His shitty defense cost the Cubs two runs in two days.

There's no fucking way anyone with a straight face can tell me he's a better-than-average defensive player, I don't care what the statfags say.

EDIT: According to baseball-reference.com, his career fielding percentage in left field is .971. It's .951 this year. So 2008 was actually above average for him.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2009, 09:29:13 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 09:24:31 PM
So how does it measure his stupid ass not hustling and then throwing to third, allowing a runner to advance to second in the process? You want a defensive stat? His shitty defense cost the Cubs two runs in two days.

There's no fucking way anyone with a straight face can tell me he's a better-than-average defensive player, I don't care what the statfags say.
I HAVE A PRECONCEIVED NOTION AND NO AMOUNT OF FACTUAL EVIDENCE CAN CHANGE MY OPINION!  LOUD NOISES!

Willful ignorance'd.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 29, 2009, 09:29:13 PM

I HAVE A PRECONCEIVED NOTION AND NO AMOUNT OF FACTUAL EVIDENCE CAN CHANGE MY OPINION!  LOUD NOISES!

Willful ignorance'd.

If I was 12 years old, I might actually think that was a decent rebuttal.

I was thrilled when he came here until I actually started watching him on a daily basis, then I realized he was nowhere near as good as advertised. So don't tell me I had a preconceived notion, you asslicker.

But you're right, basing an evaluation of his defense on what statfags say is a better gauge than what actually happens in games.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 09:33:31 PM

Would you like some further evidence why Soriano is an average-or-better left fielder?  I am happy to provide that (although Morph already offered some compelling information), but as you already said, you don't care what the stats say.  You already think and know that Soriano is a bad fielder.  Which, by the way, is a neat little trick to pull while having a discussion.

Dude #1: Hey, this bowling ball weighs 14 pounds.
Dude #2: No it doesn't.
Dude #1: Yeah it does.  Here, I'll go ahead and show you.
Dude #2: Fine, but you can't use a scale or any device that measures weight.

So, rather than actually make a proper rebuttal -- since you made it so abundantly clear you weren't interested in such a thing -- I pulled the old, tremendously-clever fix'd trick on you and you called me an asslicker.  And here we sit, with you being just as full of wrong as you were earlier today. Happy Friday.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 29, 2009, 09:55:19 PM

Would you like some further evidence why Soriano is an average-or-better left fielder?  I am happy to provide that (although Morph already offered some compelling information), but as you already said, you don't care what the stats say.  You already think and know that Soriano is a bad fielder.  Which, by the way, is a neat little trick to pull while having a discussion.

So, rather than actually make a proper rebuttal -- since you made it so abundantly clear you weren't interested in such a thing -- I pulled the old, tremendously-clever fix'd trick on you and you called me an asslicker.  And here we sit, with you being just as full of wrong as you were earlier today. Happy Friday.

Yeah, but to be fair, you DO lick ass.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »

I HAVE A PRECONCEIVED NOTION AND NO AMOUNT OF FACTUAL EVIDENCE CAN CHANGE MY OPINION!  LOUD NOISES!

Willful ignorance'd.

I was thrilled when he came here until I actually started watching him on a daily basis, then I realized he was nowhere near as good as advertised. So don't tell me I had a preconceived notion, you asslicker.

But you're right, basing an evaluation of his defense on what statfags say is a better gauge than what actually happens in games.

Oh wait, you're being serious? At first I thought you were just playing the part of 'ignorant failed abortion guy' so we could rebut your mongoloid arguments for the benefit of the actual knuckle-dragging goon squad who might be unable to type out words. In which case you'd be providing a valuable service for those less fortunate, which is worthwhile. But I was mistaken.

Here, instead of hanging out with all of us number-crunching fagfaces and reading our cum-guzzling arguments we compose from our laptops covered in Obama spunk (I just remembered you were that guy too, you're even more entertaining than I thought) why don't you go hang out at a site where you can call a spade a fag, baseball is played on REAL fields by hulking, sweaty hunks of man meat, and sophistry like yours will be appreciated:

http://badnewscubs.wordpress.com/

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 29, 2009, 10:49:30 PM
Quote from: Eli on May 29, 2009, 09:55:19 PM

Yeah, but to be fair, you DO lick ass.

I have no stats to refute this statement.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:05 AM »
I hope this team starts winning soon so the message board becomes readable again.
Hire Jim Essian!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »

I HAVE A PRECONCEIVED NOTION AND NO AMOUNT OF FACTUAL EVIDENCE CAN CHANGE MY OPINION!  LOUD NOISES!

Willful ignorance'd.

Your failure at irony is seriously painful.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2009, 04:07:36 AM »
I like how some people on this board give me shit all the time, but when I give it right back, people make me out to be unethical and/or stupid for disagreeing. I guess getting condescending attitude when I'm just trying to discuss something brings out the worst in me.

And RV, so fucking what if I don't like Obama? I didn't like GW either. I don't really care for any politicians. Plenty of you guys were drooling over his genitalia during and after the election.

But back to the topic:

I realize no stat is perfect, but I'm not a big fan of the all of the new stats to try to re-invent the game. Maybe if I'd stated that first you guys wouldn't have attacked me. Who am I kidding -- yeah, you would've.

So I'm immediately skeptical of any stat that tells me Soriano, who I believe suffers from mild mental retardation, is actually an above-average fielder. If there's a stat that measures things like when he didn't get an error for his stupid throw to third after not charging the ball on Thursday, or letting a ball hit three steps away from him drop for a ground-rule double, in addition to the countless other mental fuck-ups he makes during the course of a season, maybe I'll pay attention. Until then, fielding percentage and errors are still a decent of way of telling who's awesome and who sucks.

There's always intangibles, which by definition can't be measured by stats. They're why Reed Johnson can play on my team any day, and why Ronny Cedeno can go suck a horse cock.

Can we at least agree Soriano's been shitty in left this year? He's the only outfielder in baseball with four errors, and he easily has the worst fielding percentage at NINE-FIFTY-FUCKING-ONE. I agree those two stats don't tell the whole story, but they can't be dismissed, either.

I acknowledge the 19 assists in 2007 were pretty sweet, but .975 in both 2007 and 2008 is not good, no matter how you guys try to spin it. Maybe those assists in '07 canceled out the bad percentage, but not last year and certainly not this year.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:45 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 30, 2009, 12:16:05 AM
I hope this team starts winning soon so the message board becomes readable again.

You're absolutely right about that.