News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 134,161 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
Quote from: RV on June 25, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
I need some statfaggoty reassurance that they're due for some hellacious regression (progression?) to at least the worst-team-in-baseball-mean of .240 or so.

You don't need reassurance.  You already know, deep down in your numbers-loving heart, that hitting with RISP isn't a skill.  

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:42 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 25, 2009, 08:59:05 AM
I need some statfaggoty reassurance that they're due for some hellacious regression (progression?) to at least the worst-team-in-baseball-mean of .240 or so.

You don't need reassurance.  You already know, deep down in your numbers-loving heart, that hitting with RISP isn't a skill.  

Is hitting in high-leverage situations a skill, though?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 25, 2009, 09:30:42 AM

Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.

Someone please confirm this.  The OPS+ thing has me rattled.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 25, 2009, 09:34:23 AM
Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

Ump: "Strike three!"

Player walks back to the dugout.

It's like Crash Davis said: "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid or because you're not getting laid or because you wore red silk panties -- then you are!"

That has to be true for some players.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: June 25, 2009, 09:55:36 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2009, 09:52:53 AM
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

It's like Crash Davis said: "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid or because you're not getting laid or because you wore red silk panties -- then you are!"

Some guys like seeing the bases loaded. It's fung, mang, since they know the pitcher will have to be a little more careful, maybe not rear back as much.

I humbly submit Corey Snyder and Robin Ventura as models for this type of hitter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »

Most of the evidence suggests that it's not a skill.  I don't believe in the concept of "clutch," (you know, actually raising one's game in high-leverage situations) though I can see an argument for anti-clutch players.  Not to go all Chuck on everyone, but Soriano's career has a substantial amount of data showing that he hits worse with runners on base.  Since the data comes from thousands of at-bats, it's not unreasonable to say that it's a trend.  Not sure why it happens, though I'd guess that he gets fewer pitches to hit with men on base, and he's not disciplined enough to lay off the bad ones.

But for most players, no.  They hit like they normally do, regardless of how high-leverage a situation is.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 25, 2009, 10:02:38 AM

Most of the evidence suggests that it's not a skill.  I don't believe in the concept of "clutch," (you know, actually raising one's game in high-leverage situations) though I can see an argument for anti-clutch players.  Not to go all Chuck on everyone, but Soriano's career has a substantial amount of data showing that he hits worse with runners on base.  Since the data comes from thousands of at-bats, it's not unreasonable to say that it's a trend.  Not sure why it happens, though I'd guess that he gets fewer pitches to hit with men on base, and he's not disciplined enough to lay off the bad ones.

But for most players, no.  They hit like they normally do, regardless of how high-leverage a situation is.

I agree with you about clutchiness.  I think it's bullshit.  Regarding not clutchiness, I've sometimes wondered if part of it is seeing pitchers out of the stretch vs. the windup.  Or the distraction of seeing guys moving around on the basepaths out of the corners of your eyes.  Not just in Soriano's case, but for guys who are "not clutch."
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »

As opposed to getting shut out the day before and thinking, "Man, we got shut out last night.  It's all on me to get the first run in."

Ump: "Strike Three!"

The point is that you can play this game with dozens of baseball situations.  There's no way to measure it.

I also think you've totally missed the point of the Crash Davis line.  The point is that it doesn't matter.  If you can hit (or pitch), you can hit (or pitch).  Period.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 09:55:36 AM

Some guys like seeing the bases loaded. It's fung, mang, since they know the pitcher will have to be a little more careful, maybe not rear back as much.

I humbly submit Corey Snyder and Robin Ventura as models for this type of hitter.

I believe the Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 10:12:24 AM

Pat Tabler.

You're bald.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 10:18:18 AM

Pat Tabler.

You're bald.

By choice.

You're old.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 25, 2009, 10:02:38 AM
Bingo.  Most.  Not all.

Some players will have the situation effect their performance, positively or negatively.  These are people with minds.  Who was it who said that 50% of this game is 90% mental?

I think it was Billy Crystal in 61*.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2009, 10:20:43 AM
Some players will have the situation effect their performance, positively or negatively.  These are people with minds.  Who was it who said that 50% of this game is 90% mental?

I think it was Billy Crystal in 61*.

Oy ve.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »

I believe the former Chicago Cub and later Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=tablepa01&year=Career&t=b

OPS'ed .821 with RISP, 1.198 with bases loaded...
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on June 25, 2009, 10:27:37 AM

I believe the former Chicago Cub and later Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=tablepa01&year=Career&t=b

OPS'ed .821 with RISP, 1.198 with bases loaded...

MAD, I think Morph is calling you out for not remembering that Tabler was a Cub.