News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 134,149 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:07 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 25, 2009, 10:30:14 AM
Quote from: morpheus on June 25, 2009, 10:27:37 AM
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 10:12:24 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 09:55:36 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 25, 2009, 09:52:53 AM
Quote from: Oleg on June 25, 2009, 09:34:23 AM
Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

Ump: "Strike three!"

Player walks back to the dugout.

It's like Crash Davis said: "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid or because you're not getting laid or because you wore red silk panties -- then you are!"

That has to be true for some players.

Some guys like seeing the bases loaded. It's fung, mang, since they know the pitcher will have to be a little more careful, maybe not rear back as much.

I humbly submit Corey Snyder and Robin Ventura as models for this type of hitter.

I believe the former Chicago Cub and later Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=tablepa01&year=Career&t=b

OPS'ed .821 with RISP, 1.198 with bases loaded...

MAD, I think Morph is calling you out for not remembering that Tabler was a Cub.

Hmpf.

Does Morph remember how upset Pat Tabler was when new GM Dallas Green acquired Bump Wills on the eve of the Season Opener in 1982?  Heading into Opening Day in Cincinnati, Junior Kennedy was slated to be the starting second baseman, with Tabler as the backup.  The Wills acquisition meant Tabler had to start the season in Des Moines, and the kid wasn't happy about it.

In any event, I didn't bother to mention Tabler's ex-Cub status as I don't recall him doing anything of significance with the bases loaded as a Cub.  No, he developed that reputation with Cleveland.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:32 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 10:37:07 AM
Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

It's like Crash Davis said: "If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid or because you're not getting laid or because you wore red silk panties -- then you are!"

Some guys like seeing the bases loaded. It's fung, mang, since they know the pitcher will have to be a little more careful, maybe not rear back as much.

I humbly submit Corey Snyder and Robin Ventura as models for this type of hitter.

I believe the former Chicago Cub and later Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=tablepa01&year=Career&t=b

MAD, I think Morph is calling you out for not remembering that Tabler was a Cub.

Hmpf.

Does Morph remember how upset Pat Tabler was when new GM Dallas Green acquired Bump Wills on the eve of the Season Opener in 1982.  Heading itoo Opening Day in Cincinnati, Junior Kennedy was slated to be the starting second baseman, with Tabler as the backup.  The Wills acquisition meant Tabler had to start the season in Des Moines, and the kid wasn't happy about it.

In any event, I didn't bother to mention Tabler's ex-Cub status as I don't recall him doing anything of significance with the bases loaded as a Cub.  No, he developed that reputation with Cleveland.

Huey is an excellent driver.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Quote from: RV on June 25, 2009, 10:39:32 AM
Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

Pat Tabler.

Hmpf.

Does Morph remember how upset Pat Tabler was when new GM Dallas Green acquired Bump Wills on the eve of the Season Opener in 1982.  Heading itoo Opening Day in Cincinnati, Junior Kennedy was slated to be the starting second baseman, with Tabler as the backup.  The Wills acquisition meant Tabler had to start the season in Des Moines, and the kid wasn't happy about it.

In any event, I didn't bother to mention Tabler's ex-Cub status as I don't recall him doing anything of significance with the bases loaded as a Cub.  No, he developed that reputation with Cleveland.

Dad lets me drive the car up and down the driveway.

Ten minutes till Wapner.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
Getting on base is a skill.  A player doesn't "forget" or "remember" how do that when runners appear on base before he steps to the plate or when the game goes into the later innings.
True, but there has to be some players affected by the mental part of the game.  "Shit.  We aren't scoring runs and I'm up here with the bases loaded and no one out.  It's all hanging on me!"

Pat Tabler.

Hmpf.

Does Morph remember how upset Pat Tabler was when new GM Dallas Green acquired Bump Wills on the eve of the Season Opener in 1982?  Heading into Opening Day in Cincinnati, Junior Kennedy was slated to be the starting second baseman, with Tabler as the backup.  The Wills acquisition meant Tabler had to start the season in Des Moines, and the kid wasn't happy about it.

In any event, I didn't bother to mention Tabler's ex-Cub status as I don't recall him doing anything of significance with the bases loaded as a Cub.  No, he developed that reputation with Cleveland.

Sure.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »

Pat Tabler.

Hmpf.

I was just instigating.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 10:20:16 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 10:18:18 AM

I believe the Cleveland Indian you were looking for was Pat Tabler.

Pat Tabler.

You're bald.

By choice.

You're old.

At least I made it this far.

Your prospects aren't that bright.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 11:29:06 AM

Pat Tabler.

You're bald.

By choice.

You're old.

Right.  I'll be lucky to make it another decade, god help me.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2009, 11:49:52 AM »
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 11:36:11 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2009, 11:29:06 AM

Pat Tabler.

You're bald.

By choice.

You're old.

Right.  I'll be lucky to make it another decade, god help me.

I don't think He's on your side on this one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Quote from: MAD on June 25, 2009, 10:41:32 AM
Quote from: RV on June 25, 2009, 10:39:32 AM

Pat Tabler.

Hmpf.

Dad lets me drive the car up and down the driveway.

Ten minutes till Wapner.

May I add...Kmart sucks?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
Well, they scored 5 today and had the tying run at 2nd in the 9th.  Of course, this was the day that Ted Lilly didn't have his good stuff.  Damnit.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090625&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Quote• Reunion time?: And now for another potential Cleveland deal to watch: For all the weird talk in Chicago last week about some kind of fictional rift between Mark DeRosa and Lou Piniella, we've been hearing that the Cubs have kicked the tires on a deal that could bring DeRosa back to Wrigleyville.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
Michael touched so many people..

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 25, 2009, 06:24:29 PM
Michael touched so many people..

Remember the time his heart stopped because it had enough?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #373 on: June 28, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
What up doods?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #374 on: June 28, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »
Four hits.

Just a wonderful bunch of guys on this team. Just wonderful.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.