News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 134,163 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #585 on: May 04, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 04, 2015, 12:31:27 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 04, 2015, 12:14:00 PM
Another option?

Jonny Gomes.

If I were a betting man I'd bet the Cubs are going to let Coghlan figure it out or see if he comes out of the slump. I'm no expert of peripheral hitting metrics, but they seem to point to some unluckiness. And for that I don't mind if the Cubs stick with him until it's time to address Baez's return and what that does to the lineup...i.e., Bryant to LF.

Am I tolerating too much bullshit here?

I don't think it's a slump, I think it's a regression to the norm.

It's not that he's not a crappy outfielder and shouldn't be replaced, it's just an odd place for even your basic spud-craniumed bog dweller to focus any anger.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: May 04, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 04, 2015, 12:44:58 PM
Another option?

Jonny Gomes.

If I were a betting man I'd bet the Cubs are going to let Coghlan figure it out or see if he comes out of the slump. I'm no expert of peripheral hitting metrics, but they seem to point to some unluckiness. And for that I don't mind if the Cubs stick with him until it's time to address Baez's return and what that does to the lineup...i.e., Bryant to LF.

It's not that he's not a crappy outfielder and shouldn't be replaced, it's just an odd place for even your basic spud-craniumed bog dweller to focus any anger.

Once again I go back to "when did we stop disliking bad baseball players for being bad."

Am I supposed to hate the good players more when they slump or something?

I just find it weird that the place that pioneered the Bako-Meter and a thousand hateful nicknames for Freddy Bynum suddenly has such a weird tolerance for crappy baseball players.

Like, tell me, who is one player on this friggin team I'm allowed to focus my anger on if not the guy who is the worst player with the most playing time who ISN'T a top five prospect.

I don't want to hate Jorge Soler or Kris Bryant or Anthony Rizzo or Addison Russell or Starlin Castro or Dexter Fowler or guys who have actual talent and futures and have demonstrated potential, so what's a good reason NOT to hate Chris Coghlan when he's not very good?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: May 04, 2015, 12:52:12 PM »
... it's just an odd place for even your basic spud-craniumed bog dweller to focus any anger.

Where should he instead focus his anger (which I don't think is even the right word for it)? Are there limits to the number of players he can find flaws with? I don't follow the line of thinking here.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: May 04, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 04, 2015, 12:52:12 PM
... it's just an odd place for even your basic spud-craniumed bog dweller to focus any anger.

Where should he instead focus his anger (which I don't think is even the right word for it)? Are there limits to the number of players he can find flaws with? I don't follow the line of thinking here.

Yeah there's no anger at Chris Coghlan. There's me pointing out that Chris Coghlan sucks, and getting angry at the now tired response from Cubs Twitter/this messageboard of HEY MAN LOOK AT THE FUTURE THINGS ARE GOOD WHY YOU GOTTA BE HATIN?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: May 04, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
This hand-wringing over Chris Coghlan led me to skim this thread more than read it in depth, but has anyone pointed out that Coghlan is terrible April/May all the time?

OPS By Month:
March/April: .610
May: .615
June: .818
July: .766
August: .890
September: .833

So, wait til June to hate. You're welcome

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: May 04, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 04, 2015, 12:54:13 PM
This hand-wringing over Chris Coghlan led me to skim this thread more than read it in depth, but has anyone pointed out that Coghlan is terrible April/May all the time?

OPS By Month:

There's my knight in shining flannel.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: May 04, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 04, 2015, 12:46:07 PM
Another option?

Jonny Gomes.

Once again I go back to "when did we stop disliking bad baseball players for being bad."

Am I supposed to hate the good players more when they slump or something?

I just find it weird that the place that pioneered the Bako-Meter and a thousand hateful nicknames for Freddy Bynum suddenly has such a weird tolerance for crappy baseball players.

Like, tell me, who is one player on this friggin team I'm allowed to focus my anger on if not the guy who is the worst player with the most playing time who ISN'T a top five prospect.

I don't want to hate Jorge Soler or Kris Bryant or Anthony Rizzo or Addison Russell or Starlin Castro or Dexter Fowler or guys who have actual talent and futures and have demonstrated potential, so what's a good reason NOT to hate Chris Coghlan when he's not very good?

I agree.  I think Coghlan has sucked this year.  But, I can also understand that it's been 72 PAs and that's about 17% of the total of PAs that I figure The Ephoyer Statistics Business Unit had projected for him at a certain production.  Is that enough to throw in the towel?  His .229 BABIP says he's been unlucky but he's striking out more and walking less than his career norm.

Perhaps another 50-70 PAs?  I don't know what to think but he's been completely frustrating.  It would have been nice to get an OPS+ of about 115 out of the 7th spot in the order against RHP.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: May 04, 2015, 12:59:07 PM »
With any luck, I'm not going to be focused on baseball full-time until mid-June.  Until then, I just wanted to let SKO know that it's going to be all right.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: May 04, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »

OPS By Month:

Yeah but for a guy who is costing them runs with defense all of the time, it's stupid to "wait till June" for him to start providing a marginal return on investment on a team that's trying to win games right now. He's not a guy they owe anything to, so try and find someone better while Coghlan's sucking.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: May 04, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 04, 2015, 01:01:07 PM

OPS By Month:

Yeah but for a guy who is costing them runs with defense all of the time, it's stupid to "wait till June" for him to start providing a marginal return on investment on a team that's trying to win games right now. He's not a guy they owe anything to, so try and find someone better while Coghlan's sucking.

Trade for Francoeur

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: May 04, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

OPS By Month:

I didn't realize his defense was so terrible. Is it really?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: May 04, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 04, 2015, 12:59:07 PM
With any luck, I'm not going to be focused on baseball full-time until mid-June.  Until then, I just wanted to let SKO know that it's going to be all right.

We can do another thread entitled "Get some fucking sleep thread" where he can post from his cot in the boobie hatch.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #597 on: May 04, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 04, 2015, 01:03:11 PM

OPS By Month:

It's the word on the twittospheres.... but don't check his UZR/150 if you want to maintain that belief (for just this year and UZR has a tendency to normalize so really he's just having a fluky better-ish defensive season besides those times he's misplayed a ball that sticks in the head of those who hate his fielding but seriously he kinda sucks in the field)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: May 04, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 04, 2015, 01:03:11 PM

OPS By Month:

For his career he's been worth -7.4 WAR defensively. Last year according to baseball reference he was worth only 0.2 WAR overall because his 2.0 oWAR was cancelled out by him being -2.3 dWAR. He's an abysmal defender at a position where defense really shouldn't be that hard. So considering 2014 Coghlan's great offensive stats added up to him being worth 1/5th of a win thanks to his D, if he's gonna regress to the norm he's a total liabality.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #599 on: May 04, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I like Aoki as a trade target. He's even got a cheap team option for next year if they feel like they need another stopgap starter or a very good 4th OF, if Baez/Schwarber really force the issue. That option may drive up his cost a bit, though it'd still barely dent the farm system.

So that settles it. I'm going to root for the Giants to fall out of contention and then be super annoying about Aoki on Twitter until I lose a bunch more followers.