News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 161,703 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 15, 2013, 03:03:43 PM

This is so perfect I'm tempted to think it's a fake.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »
Nope, that poll is legit.

More hilarity.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 15, 2013, 03:42:44 PM
Nope, that poll is legit.

More hilarity.

My reaction wasn't hilarity, just "this dude is extremely pleased with himself."

Damn straight.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
#HotSportsTakes

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/78149/hotsportstakes-the-dodgers-are-a-disgrace

Stick around and Gil the comments. You won't be sorry.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2013, 03:11:33 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2013, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 16, 2013, 01:40:14 PM
#HotSportsTakes

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/78149/hotsportstakes-the-dodgers-are-a-disgrace

Is this satire? Honest question.

"Every now and then, we will attempt to write the worst sports column on Earth. Today: Let's talk about the MLB playoffs and the future of America's pastime."
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 16, 2013, 03:11:33 PM
#HotSportsTakes

"Every now and then, we will attempt to write the worst sports column on Earth. Today: Let's talk about the MLB playoffs and the future of America's pastime."

Maybe they should write the entire column in green font.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 16, 2013, 03:19:51 PM
#HotSportsTakes

That would have helped me here.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 16, 2013, 04:34:51 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 16, 2013, 03:19:51 PM
#HotSportsTakes

That would have helped me here.
He's written some gems. The Flacco Was Right to Skip His Child's Birth article was great.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:31 AM »
The Wall Street Journal weighs in on the code that the Cardinals are striving to uphold.

The comments have yet to be visited by any Cardinals fans, but when the BFiBBTM do see this, I look forward to the oh-so-clever plays on the columnist's surname.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
Former Cardinals catcher and senile sidekick to Joe Buck Tim McCarver will not only pontificate on the right way to play baseball, but he'll lecture Yasiel Puig fan Hunter Mahan on the right way to play golf.

QuoteBut Mahan's tweet got McCarver – or at least McCarver's producers – thinking about a retort. What they came up with were their own suggestions for poking holes in some of golf's unwritten rules. I'm paraphrasing them, but here they are:

--Let the pros wear shorts in 110-degree weather.

--Talk anytime your opponent is hitting, and talk loudly.

--Step on your opponent's putting line.

--Drive into the foursome in front of you.

Hmm, even Joe Buck knew something was amiss.

QuoteAs McCarver's announcing partner Joe Buck noted, it's actually a written rule that PGA Tour players must wear long pants, though of course caddies have the right to wear shorts on hot days. As for the others, well, to me they're more recommendations to be rude than anything else.

Well, I don't know how the pros play golf, but in all events in which play is governed by USGA rules (I'll defer to Tonk to translate the Scottish in the R&A rulebook), the rules are in fact written down.

QuoteSection I – Etiquette; Behavior On The Course

QuoteConsideration For Other Players
No Disturbance Or Distraction
Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

On The Putting Green
On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

QuoteSafety
Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.

Players should not play until the players in front are out of range.

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such situations is "fore."
Conclusion; Penalties For Breach
If players follow the guidelines in this section, it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee considers taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions. This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines.

In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

Rule 33-7?

Quote33-7. Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion
A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

Any penalty less than disqualification must not be waived or modified.

If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 17, 2013, 09:43:31 AM
Former Cardinals catcher and senile sidekick to Joe Buck Tim McCarver will not only pontificate on the right way to play baseball, but he'll lecture Yasiel Puig fan Hunter Mahan on the right way to play golf.

QuoteBut Mahan's tweet got McCarver – or at least McCarver's producers – thinking about a retort. What they came up with were their own suggestions for poking holes in some of golf's unwritten rules. I'm paraphrasing them, but here they are:

QuoteAs McCarver's announcing partner Joe Buck noted, it's actually a written rule that PGA Tour players must wear long pants, though of course caddies have the right to wear shorts on hot days. As for the others, well, to me they're more recommendations to be rude than anything else.

Well, I don't know how the pros play golf, but in all events in which play is governed by USGA rules (I'll defer to Tonk to translate the Scottish in the R&A rulebook), the rules are in fact written down.

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

On The Putting Green
On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

QuoteSafety
Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such situations is "fore."
If players follow the guidelines in this section, it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee considers taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions. This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines.

In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

Rule 33-7?

A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

If a Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under this Rule.

DPD. I missed this during the game, but I guess FOX even had a HELPFUL graphic for McCarver to educate his viewers.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 17, 2013, 09:57:41 AM
Quote from: Brownie on October 17, 2013, 09:43:31 AM

On The Putting Green

QuoteSafety

Rule 33-7?

DPD. I missed this during the game, but I guess FOX even had a HELPFUL graphic for McCarver to educate his viewers.

I saw it. He stammered and screwed it up a few times, dragging it out even longer and making it even more lame. Buck was noticeably embarrassed, which was my favorite part. It was only afterward that I realized he was taking shots at Puig. He botched it so bad I'd forgotten the set-up, reading a Tweet by Mahan telling the Cardinals to quit whining and get the guy out.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
DPD

I really enjoyed seeing Adrian Gonzalez make the "Micky Mouse" ears after the first of his two EMOTIONAL dong blasts yesterday. And then in the on-field postgame interview he told the reporter that he remembered the Cardinals blowing a 3-1 series lead last year and he "wanted to make that happen again."

He is now my second favorite player in all of baseball. After Puig.