News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse  ( 161,695 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Let's look forward to the Cardinals Methocalypse
« Reply #615 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 13, 2015, 09:39:34 AM
These fucking people: http://www.stlsportspage.com/CARDSBASEBALL/tabid/91/entryid/3394/cardinals-should-thank-heyward-for-turning-down-their-offer.aspx

QuoteHeyward is not worth that kind of money. Based on the track record of his major-league career, there is no reason to expect him to be more than what he has been – an excellent defensive outfielder, perhaps the best in the game, but nothing more than a very good hitter.

YEAH WHY WOULD HE BE WORTH THE MONEY HE'S JUST THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE GAME WHO ALSO HAPPENS TO BE A VERY GOOD HITTER FUCK IT STEPHEN PISCOTTY IS  WHITE AND BETTER AND Y'ALL KNOW IT

QuoteA Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine trained along the branches of a tree. The grapes seemed ready to burst with juice, and the Fox's mouth watered as he gazed longingly at them.
The bunch hung from a high branch, and the Fox had to jump for it. The first time he jumped he missed it by a long way. So he walked off a short distance and took a running leap at it, only to fall short once more. Again and again he tried, but in vain.
Now he sat down and looked at the grapes in disgust.
"What a fool I am," he said. "Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes that are not worth gaping for."
And off he walked very, very scornfully.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #616 on: December 13, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »
These fucking people: http://www.stlsportspage.com/CARDSBASEBALL/tabid/91/entryid/3394/cardinals-should-thank-heyward-for-turning-down-their-offer.aspx

QuoteHeyward is not worth that kind of money. Based on the track record of his major-league career, there is no reason to expect him to be more than what he has been – an excellent defensive outfielder, perhaps the best in the game, but nothing more than a very good hitter.

YEAH WHY WOULD HE BE WORTH THE MONEY HE'S JUST THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE GAME WHO ALSO HAPPENS TO BE A VERY GOOD HITTER FUCK IT STEPHEN PISCOTTY IS  WHITE AND BETTER AND Y'ALL KNOW IT

It's true: excellent defensive outfielders and very good hitters grow on trees.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #617 on: December 14, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 13, 2015, 10:39:33 AM

I still remember when the Cards traded for Heyward and someone here lamented that the Fowl were going to ruin the Golden Age of Cubs Baseball by being better than they are. I thought about it and got a little anxious like, damn, I hope that doesn't happen.

During the rebuild when we used to debate (with the meatballs and Eli) whether it was worth it to suffer through the lean years to get to where Theo was headed, I still had plenty of doubt about whether it would really work. I mean so many things had to go right.

But I never envisioned anything like this. It's been too good.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #618 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 14, 2015, 07:55:59 AM

I still remember when the Cards traded for Heyward and someone here lamented that the Fowl were going to ruin the Golden Age of Cubs Baseball by being better than they are. I thought about it and got a little anxious like, damn, I hope that doesn't happen.

During the rebuild when we used to debate (with the meatballs and Eli) whether it was worth it to suffer through the lean years to get to where Theo was headed, I still had plenty of doubt about whether it would really work. I mean so many things had to go right.

I have to admit, while most of me laughed at Cards fans like Leitch who kept citing the example of Matt Holliday for why they thought Heyward would give St. Louis a "hometown discount" after spending a year "learning what it means to be a Cardinal", a small part of me was afraid he actually would turn down more money from the Cubs to stay in St. Louis. That he did the opposite has given me a schaden-boner that still hasn't deflated.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #619 on: December 14, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2015, 08:01:51 AM

I have to admit, while most of me laughed at Cards fans like Leitch who kept citing the example of Matt Holliday for why they thought Heyward would give St. Louis a "hometown discount" after spending a year "learning what it means to be a Cardinal", a small part of me was afraid he actually would turn down more money from the Cubs to stay in St. Louis. That he did the opposite has given me a schaden-boner that still hasn't deflated.

I love how people who look and sound like me were saying that this team will be better next year because they'll just spend $400 Million on pitching and CHAMMENSHIP!!! And Theo was like, "fucking hilljacks" and did something so much more creative and helpful than anything I could have dreamed up because I'm dumb and lazy and fat and stupid.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #620 on: December 14, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 14, 2015, 08:05:08 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2015, 08:01:51 AM

I love how people who look and sound like me were saying that this team will be better next year because they'll just spend $400 Million on pitching and CHAMMENSHIP!!! And Theo was like, "fucking hilljacks" and did something so much more creative and helpful than anything I could have dreamed up because I'm dumb and lazy and fat and stupid.

It's true. I never even spent much time thinking about Heyward because I am also stupid and unimaginative and my ideal offseason was basically Sign Price/Re-Sign Fowler. I'd have to say I'm much happier with how this has played out.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #621 on: December 14, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »
Maybe Heyward learned what it meant to be a Cardinal, and it means Metheny will always mismanage the team out of any chance at a championship.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #622 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 14, 2015, 08:17:36 AM
Maybe Heyward learned what it meant to be a Cardinal, and it means Metheny will always mismanage the team out of any chance at a championship.

That's my hope. I want him to open his press conference by saying that he saw the Cubs having fun and having fucking pajama days and he looked around a locker room that was so deep up it's own ass it felt like going to some shitty Baptist Church every day and decided he wanted to see what it's like on the other side of the baseball culture war.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #623 on: December 14, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

They had to get so many things right and they had to get some luck, too. They've had both of those things happen. But really, it's much more the first one than the second one. They've just repeatedly made the right call over and over and I'm not sure any front office has ever had this kind of a run of decision-making. The missteps that you can now see with hindsight* are all basically inconsequential at this point and are only noticeable because everything else has been so good.

A lot of other teams are going to try the tanking thing and it's usually not going to work, because those teams don't have Theo Epstein.

* Even when nitpicking, these are still few and far between. Edwin, the Ian Stewart trade, probably Almora, and maybe not trading certain guys like Starlin or Garza at the peak of their value. I can't even really think of anything else off the top of my head. It's impressive.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #624 on: December 14, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 14, 2015, 08:50:07 AM

They had to get so many things right and they had to get some luck, too. They've had both of those things happen. But really, it's much more the first one than the second one. They've just repeatedly made the right call over and over and I'm not sure any front office has ever had this kind of a run of decision-making. The missteps that you can now see with hindsight* are all basically inconsequential at this point and are only noticeable because everything else has been so good.

A lot of other teams are going to try the tanking thing and it's usually not going to work, because those teams don't have Theo Epstein.

* Even when nitpicking, these are still few and far between. Edwin, the Ian Stewart trade, probably Almora, and maybe not trading certain guys like Starlin or Garza at the peak of their value.

Well and frankly the second people start to copy something it's no longer an advantage. Teams are going to start prioritizing young, MLB-ready bats over pitching in the draft like Theo did and yet there's not a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber every year. Teams are going to learn from what happened to the A's NOT to give up Addison Russells. Much like OBP is no longer something you can get for cheap and Billy Beane had to find the next inefficiency, the fact is that each attempt to do exactly what Theo has done will probably encounter diminishing returns.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #625 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:22 AM »
DPD: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/cardinals-sign-alex-gordon-unlikely.html the Cardinals are apparently dropping out of the top tier free agent hunt after missing out on Price/Heyward. While the argument can definitely be made that they're probably better off long term not overpaying guys like Gordon or Davis, Mozeliak is sure going to have a hard time placating the fans after they were told all season long that the new TV deal meant finally loosening up the purse strings.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #626 on: December 14, 2015, 09:09:10 AM »

* Even when nitpicking, these are still few and far between. Edwin, the Ian Stewart trade, probably Almora, and maybe not trading certain guys like Starlin or Garza at the peak of their value. I can't even really think of anything else off the top of my head. It's impressive.

I was kind of thinking about this...imagine if Feldman doesn't have a decent 1st half in '13.

I'm also not that sure they could have gotten more out of Garza than they did but I could be misremembering.

I'm not sold on Almora being a bust, yet.  He may end up being Inciarte (I forgot to whom else I'd compared Almora previously but basically any near-elite CF defender would work) yet.

I have no excuse for Edwin or Stewart but they were worth the shot, I suppose.  If Theo doesn't trade away LeMahieu, I guess you can argue he wouldn't have to spend on Zobrist this off-season?  Yeah, Eli is right, whatever.

Luck is one thing.  But I see a front office that had a plan from the get-go and stuck to it.  In fact, I think they even had some built in guards against any single point of failure and still do.  Seeing this play out was brilliant and far more fun than watching it as some cynical observer like Al or Gordo Or Vlahos were.  Granted, this is all on paper and they have to go out and play and yada yada but this has been a blast so far.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #627 on: December 14, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »

Speaking of Edwin, that's a nice $16 million rolloff next winter when Theo goes shopping.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 14, 2015, 08:53:05 AM
Well and frankly the second people start to copy something it's no longer an advantage. Teams are going to start prioritizing young, MLB-ready bats over pitching in the draft like Theo did and yet there's not a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber every year. Teams are going to learn from what happened to the A's NOT to give up Addison Russells. Much like OBP is no longer something you can get for cheap and Billy Beane had to find the next inefficiency, the fact is that each attempt to do exactly what Theo has done will probably encounter diminishing returns.

Seeing what young pitchers are getting (Miller...jebus) and looking at the market that was *set* by the Giles and Kimbrell trades, I think FOs are trying to emulate the Royals more than the Cubs.  Which is just fine by me.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #629 on: December 14, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 14, 2015, 08:17:36 AM

I think what we are seeing with Heyward, Zorbrist, Lackey and Lester is that the Cubs are now the dominant NL Central team.  For years they had the market, but the Cardinals had the advantages of stable ownership, competent front office management and managers and better player facilities.  The Cubs now beat them in each of those categories (and regarding Epstein/Hoyer/ Maddon vs Mozelak /Matheny its a walkover).  Throw in the third largest market, much more cosmopolitan city, etc. and things are looking pretttayyy prettayy good (and also explains why Cardinals fans are starting to lose it).
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.