News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs 2017. The Experienced Optimist Version  ( 5,899 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs 2017. The Experienced Optimist Version
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 12, 2016, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: Brownie on October 11, 2016, 11:27:21 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 11, 2016, 11:12:01 PM
The way the Cubs have fucking owned the shit out of TJ both times he's declared them done makes my cockles tingle

Me too. But 1984 has done this to me.

Oh for fuck's sake, snap out of it.  You're not the only one who experienced '84.  And '03 was identical, blah blah fucking blah.  But in '03, they not only finally won a series but also won the Game 3 in Florida that everybody at the time was convinced they would lose; you'll recall the game ended on defensive miscue that was immediately erased by a Florida baserunning gaffe.  They beat Pittsburgh last year, they absolutely destroyed St. Louis.  There's enough out there to show the fates favor nobody; it's just that, as our Head Moran pointed out a couple weeks ago, when you rarely make the postseason, the times you fall short are magnified.  Those past horrors--which again, have NOTHING to do with today and everything to do with your own neuroses-- are evening out in any event.  I'm not denying I'm not scarred by it; but I'm also not going to irrationally impose those events on this fucking awesome group of players that should never fucking be doubted because FUCK YOU.

Knock off your own personal melodrama and get over it.  Repeat after me--the past has NOTHING to do with this team.  If they get bounced in the next round, it'll be because they didn't play well and/or played a hotter team.  It happened last year and you survived.  Enough with the fatalistic bullshit.

And hang with your goddamn team for crissakes.  

As someone who both nodded along while reading Huey's post but could not bring himself to make eye contact with the television while Chapman closed out the 9th, I'll just say this: sports emotions are weird and crazy.

The slate is clean, the deck is clear, the next series starts on Saturday.  Let's do it all over again.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 02:13:20 PM »
I guess the big take away for me is, you're not really hurting anyone but yourself by getting totally freaked out when things are going badly. A lot of people, if not most, do that.

But yes, it's frustrating and annoying to read doom and gloom while things have yet to be decided, if only because it has the tendency to increase the anxiety people are already feeling. So, maybe if you're a Doom and Gloomer, show some consideration and keep your morbid thoughts to yourself, or perhaps to some like-minded friends.
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 12, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
I guess the big take away for me is, you're not really hurting anyone but yourself by getting totally freaked out when things are going badly. A lot of people, if not most, do that.

But yes, it's frustrating and annoying to read doom and gloom while things have yet to be decided, if only because it has the tendency to increase the anxiety people are already feeling. So, maybe if you're a Doom and Gloomer, show some consideration and keep your morbid thoughts to yourself, or perhaps to some like-minded friends.

And my advice, as always, is don't follow me on twitter. Why anyone does is a total mystery.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 02:24:53 PM

And my advice, as always, is don't follow me on twitter. Why anyone does is a total mystery.

You should set up two accounts. You could use one to send out the in-game stuff that is totally unreadable, and another for everything else that is totally readable.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 12, 2016, 02:36:22 PM

I like the idea of an SKOmeatball handle

You should set up two accounts. You could use one to send out the in-game stuff that is totally unreadable, and another for everything else that is totally readable.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 12, 2016, 11:48:25 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 11:41:01 AM
Quote from: air2300 on October 12, 2016, 11:38:22 AM

Maybe this goes to I admit it thread, but I have to say, non game-day SKO is rational.  During the games, reading your panicky tweets makes me want to throw my phone through the wall.  

I've said many times before that I usually wake up after most games in shredded purple shorts, looking at the destruction around me and screaming in horror "oh god what did I tweet". If they actually make the World Series my wife is on standing orders to just take away my phone.

*If*?  You fucking fatalistic douche.

This is 2010 Blackhawks land. Enjoy a very special group of athletes slaying every memory that haunts you.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »

That's fair, and is pretty much the big counterpoint. I'd have to actively seek out your breakdowns, so they don't bug me. It's tougher on a forum, though, unless there's a specific negativity thread that we can all ignore.
M'lady.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »
I love that I posted this for two reasons:

1) In case I need to be humbled a little bit. I was wrong. Chuck has never been wronger than I was above.
2) Ironically, "next year" isn't a pie in the sky, empty hope thing. But this year is still here. And we're 61 days from Christmas Eve, which is about 50 days from pitchers and catchers reporting.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 24, 2016, 04:03:18 PM

1) In case I need to be humbled a little bit. I was wrong. Chuck has never been wronger than I was above.
2) Ironically, "next year" isn't a pie in the sky, empty hope thing. But this year is still here. And we're 61 days from Christmas Eve, which is about 50 days from pitchers and catchers reporting.

the second best thing about this season is the shorter wait for pitchers and catchers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on October 24, 2016, 04:29:27 PM

the second best thing about this season is the shorter wait for pitchers and catchers.

I never said the proper FYTJ, so I'm putting it down for posterity, but all is long forgiven.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 12, 2016, 11:41:01 AM
If they actually make the World Series my wife is on standing orders to just take away my phone.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »

Hannukah is Christmas Eve this year. Everything is coming up together.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 24, 2016, 07:09:23 PM

Do Chinese restaurants make good Latkes?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 26, 2016, 05:00:33 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 24, 2016, 07:09:23 PM

Do Chinese restaurants make good Latkes?

Scallion pancakes are close enough for jazz.
TIME TO POST!

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 10:04:35 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 11, 2016, 09:09:39 PM
I like the Cubs. And I like baseball. They should win many games in the regular season, before kicking us in the nuts in October.

Four months until pitchers and catchers report.

Are you like this in real life or is this a thing you do for our entertainment? Choose your answer carefully...it depends on if I continue enjoying your existence.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"