News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Doritos/Bud Light Bowl Breakdown  ( 5,906 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Doritos/Bud Light Bowl Breakdown
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
Quote from: Jon on February 10, 2010, 10:29:46 AM
This is, quite literally, the dumbest sports blog post I have ever read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/342457-onside-kick-was-dirty-pool

Okay, I read it and I'm trying to decide if it's satire.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:44 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 10, 2010, 10:33:48 AM

No. He defends himself in the comments.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »

The best part about any Bleacher Report blog is when it interrupts you while you're reading its inanity to nag you to sign up for a newsletter.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »
Quote from: Jon on February 10, 2010, 10:35:44 AM

Yeah, he does, but his defense seems to be "THE COIN TOSS MUST BE RESPECTED" which still makes me wonder, mostly because the first argument everyone uses against the current overtime set up is that THE GAME SHOULD NOT BE DECIDED BY A COIN TOSS.

I think maybe I wrote this article as "Steve Montana" to rile up the idiots at the Bleacher Report, and then forgot I did it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 07, 2010, 10:17:19 PM
Let me tell you all a story about two boys, one sport, and a nation called America. One's the scion of a powerful family, football royalty. Raised from day one to be the perfect quarterback, schooled in the nuances of the game and given every opportunity to succeed. He's a four year starter at a powerhouse SEC school. He's the first overall pick in the 1998 draft. He blows away the competition, sets records, and is widely regarded as the heir to the title of "greatest quarterback ever", if he doesn't hold it already.

Then there's boy #2. He's too short. His arm's not strong. He puts up a bunch of "inflated" numbers in a novel offense at a second-tier Big Ten football school. He's taken in the 2nd round by a franchise prone to mistrust young quarterbacks because of a previously destructive relationship with one. After three years they deem him a failure. They draft his replacement while he sits and watches. He has two seasons of revival, two seasons where he shows them the mistake they made and yet it all seems moot when he blows out his shoulder. Every team in the league passes on the chance to sign him, all but one destitute franchise coming off a 3-13 season and the near-complete destruction of their home city. Against the odds he makes them the league's most feared offense. He gets them close to glory on multiple occasions until finally getting them to the big game, going up against Prince Manning (boy #1) himself.

What happens?

Come crunch time, the Chosen One throws the game away while the short, weak-armed quarterback that nobody wanted sets the Super Bowl record for completions in a game.

The moral?

Don't fuck with the Breesus.

To shed a little light on the subject of "nobody wanting" Drew Brees, there was competition.  The Miami Dolphins, who decided to pass because they didn't trust his arm post surgery.  They chose Daunte Culpepper, but Brees ultimately chose the Saints anyway.  I had never been happier as a Saints fan (up until just a few days ago) than I was when I heard that Brees signed for 6 years in 2006.  The season after Brees's surgery he leads the Saints to the NFC Championship against the Bears.  Daunte Culpepper is holding clipboards in Detroit.

If you haven't heard, breaking down Brees's numbers:  in the first drive, he went 3-7.  He proceeded to go 29-32 for the rest of the game while Peyton Manning shat the field (I don't want to discount Porter, though.  That was a very good play to jump that ball.).
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 10, 2010, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: Jon on February 10, 2010, 10:35:44 AM

Yeah, he does, but his defense seems to be "THE COIN TOSS MUST BE RESPECTED" which still makes me wonder, mostly because the first argument everyone uses against the current overtime set up is that THE GAME SHOULD NOT BE DECIDED BY A COIN TOSS.

I think maybe I wrote this article as "Steve Montana" to rile up the idiots at the Bleacher Report, and then forgot I did it.

I'm picturing a middle-aged Region-dweller named Steve Montana jumping to his feet when Morstead squibbed the ball, yelling: "DIRTY POOL! DIRTY POOL! DIRTY POOL!"

Nice work, CT.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 12:23:09 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 10, 2010, 11:36:41 AM
I don't want to discount Porter, though.  That was a very good play to jump that ball.

It was a good play on the ball, but Wayne put all of the effort of a Bear WR on that play.  He was slow
out of his break, didn't try and body Porter off or break up the play in any way, and didn't even make a
token effort to recover and chase him down (not that he would have caught him).  Wayne obviously
couldn't see the ball coming, but he sure as hell could see Porter breaking on it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 12:30:40 PM »

Wikipedia Bleacher Report is the best thing ever.  Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject.  So you know you are getting the best possible information.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
Quote from: Pre on February 10, 2010, 12:23:09 PM
I don't want to discount Porter, though.  That was a very good play to jump that ball.

It was a good play on the ball, but Wayne put all of the effort of a Bear WR on that play.  He was slow
out of his break, didn't try and body Porter off or break up the play in any way, and didn't even make a
token effort to recover and chase him down (not that he would have caught him).  Wayne obviously
couldn't see the ball coming, but he sure as hell could see Porter breaking on it.

My understanding from the post-mortem was that Wayne saw Porter start to jump the route and immediately darted upfield, a common occurance in the Colts offense, which Manning did not recognize. If Manning pump fakes there, it's a touchdown. After the play, Manning and Wayne could be seen talking that over. This is all from the mouth of Hub Arkush who interviewed Wayne, Manning and others after the game. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 10, 2010, 01:37:31 PM

My understanding from the post-mortem was that Wayne saw Porter start to jump the route and immediately darted upfield, a common occurance in the Colts offense, which Manning did not recognize. If Manning pump fakes there, it's a touchdown. After the play, Manning and Wayne could be seen talking that over. This is all from the mouth of Hub Arkush who interviewed Wayne, Manning and others after the game. 

Porter didn't jump the route until Manning released, at least from what I can remember.  (I was pretty hammed.)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:16 PM »
while Peyton Manning shat the field

If throwing for 330+ yards and completing 70 percent of your passes is shitting the field due to one bad pick, Jay Cutler might do well to shit the field every game next year.

Not saying Manning is excused from the INT, but Wayne and Porter deserve blame/credit as well.  It's just annoying to hear people talk about how Manning is a choker again because of one throw in an otherwise good game.  Seems meathead-y to me.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on February 10, 2010, 01:54:53 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 10, 2010, 01:37:31 PM

Porter didn't jump the route until Manning released, at least from what I can remember.  (I was pretty hammed.)

I'm not a football expert but I think jumping the route means that the defender acts before the release of the ball. Porter said he was waiting for that play and jumped the route.

Quote"We went to man-to-man coverage, and the formation that the Colts came out in is one that we've been studying the majority of the week," Porter said. "With the inverted split end, Collie we knew was going to motion down and they were going to run a stick route. The point guy, Reggie Wayne, was in the slot, and he was going to try to wide the part and out-leverage the corner and cut back across his face.

"Once I saw Collie motion in, I was like, 'OK, here comes the stick route,' and once I saw him try to wide the part, I just stepped inside and when he went to make the break to come back in I was already in front of him and I picked the ball off."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/08/tracy-porter-could-see-the-look-on-peytons-face/
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 02:09:43 PM »
QuoteIf throwing for 330+ yards and completing 70 percent of your passes is shitting the field due to one bad pick, Jay Cutler might do well to shit the field every game next year.

Not saying Manning is excused from the INT, but Wayne and Porter deserve blame/credit as well.  It's just annoying to hear people talk about how Manning is a choker again because of one throw in an otherwise good game.  Seems meathead-y to me.

No, I wasn't taking anything away from his entire game's performance.  I was picking on him for throwing the INT, albeit in a meathead-y way.  So, to clarify:  whole game, pretty damn good.  One play, kind of shitty.

I'm not a football expert but I think jumping the route means that the defender acts before the release of the ball. Porter said he was waiting for that play and jumped the route.

"We went to man-to-man coverage, and the formation that the Colts came out in is one that we've been studying the majority of the week," Porter said. "With the inverted split end, Collie we knew was going to motion down and they were going to run a stick route. The point guy, Reggie Wayne, was in the slot, and he was going to try to wide the part and out-leverage the corner and cut back across his face.

"Once I saw Collie motion in, I was like, 'OK, here comes the stick route,' and once I saw him try to wide the part, I just stepped inside and when he went to make the break to come back in I was already in front of him and I picked the ball off."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/08/tracy-porter-could-see-the-look-on-peytons-face/

Shut up, what with your facts.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 03:21:23 PM »
Manning didn't shit the field, but he didn't throw for 500 yards because Drew Brees and the Saints cheated and put together drives that are too long! The NFL should make a rule that prevents you from having the ball too much. It takes away from the spirit of the game. Score a TD or give the ball to Peyton Manning. Shit or get off the pot.

I don't know what actual time of possession was, but the Saints' long drives in the second and third quarter, keeping the Colts O idle was huge. Remember when the Dolphins has ToP vs. Indy of 48:00 or so and still lost to the Colts and everyone said: "LOLZ! Time of POSSESSION IS MEANINGLESS!" The Colts would have scored 60 against the Fish if they had 25-30 mins of possession in that game. Sometimes your offense can be your defense too.

Do you think the Bears' D going into the shitter this year and in 2007 had anything to do with a shitty rushing game?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 10, 2010, 03:21:23 PM
Manning didn't shit the field, but he didn't throw for 500 yards because Drew Brees and the Saints cheated and put together drives that are too long! The NFL should make a rule that prevents you from having the ball too much. It takes away from the spirit of the game. Score a TD or give the ball to Peyton Manning. Shit or get off the pot.

I don't know what actual time of possession was, but the Saints' long drives in the second and third quarter, keeping the Colts O idle was huge. Remember when the Dolphins has ToP vs. Indy of 48:00 or so and still lost to the Colts and everyone said: "LOLZ! Time of POSSESSION IS MEANINGLESS!" The Colts would have scored 60 against the Fish if they had 25-30 mins of possession in that game. Sometimes your offense can be your defense too.

Do you think the Bears' D going into the shitter this year and in 2007 had anything to do with a shitty rushing game?

Peyton Manning hadn't touched a football in damn near 70 real-time minutes at one point.