News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MIKE OLT!  ( 19,908 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MIKE OLT!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
I hope the cubs are trying to trade valbuena soon, if not, I'm confused as to why Renterria is playing him over Olt.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 04, 2014, 11:16:16 AM
I hope the cubs are trying to trade valbuena soon, if not, I'm confused as to why Renterria is playing him over Olt.

I kind of just assumed they were trying to build up Olt's confidence by batting him only against lefties at first, then easing him in against righties. Given how terrible the last year and half have been for him they might be afraid of him suffering through an early slump if he struggles to catch up against major league right handed pitching to start.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 04, 2014, 12:15:38 PM

I kind of just assumed they were trying to build up Olt's confidence by batting him only against lefties at first, then easing him in against righties. Given how terrible the last year and half have been for him they might be afraid of him suffering through an early slump if he struggles to catch up against major league right handed pitching to start.

I hope people read what you wrote here, process it, and nod their head in agreement like I just did.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 04, 2014, 12:28:51 PM

I hope people read what you wrote here, process it, and nod their head in agreement like I just did.

I was just about to write something about how Valbuena isn't terrible, and then thought I'd take a look at the stats first.  Holy shit: it shows how much attention I paid to the second half last year.  Valbuena IS fucking terrible.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »

That, and taking it easy on the shoulder, per Dick Renter E. Ah.

Quote from: The Other Dumb RogersRenteria says he still wants to ease Olt in there for now . Maybe take it easy on shoulder. Sighted slick conditions.

Rick's got quite a set of eyes on him, sighting field conditions from the press room.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 04, 2014, 12:56:19 PM

That, and taking it easy on the shoulder, per Dick Renter E. Ah.

Quote from: The Other Dumb RogersRenteria says he still wants to ease Olt in there for now . Maybe take it easy on shoulder. Sighted slick conditions.

Rick's got quite a set of eyes on him, sighting field conditions from the press room.

Renteria mows my lawn.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 09:10:39 AM »

I did. Because it's correct.

Olt's not going to play every day. And if he did he wouldn't single handedly make this lineup good.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 04:47:38 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 05, 2014, 09:10:39 AM

Olt's not going to play every day. And if he did he wouldn't single handedly make this lineup good.

Agreed.  Right now, he's not even hitting lefties.  I think he'll be fine but--though I was initially as annoyed as BH-- I don't think there's any harm in easing him in.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 07, 2014, 04:47:38 AM

Agreed.  Right now, he's not even hitting lefties.  I think he'll be fine but--though I was initially as annoyed as BH-- I don't think there's any harm in easing him in.

Well, let me play the part of the dumb guy like always. Why not play Olt most days? This is how I sees it--Olt is essentially losing AB's to Barney, right? I think the better lineup would be to play Olt at third, and have this kind of triumvirate of evil in Bonerfacio, Ruggiano and Valbuena tackling CF/2B depending on the pitcher.

Against RHP, Bonerfacio at CF, Valbuena at 2B; against LHP, Bonerfacio at 2B and Ruggiano in CF. Or does that accomplish anything because Ruggiano is still kinda hurt and not that great? I don't know...obviously.

MY COLT!
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 07, 2014, 10:50:36 AM

Agreed.  Right now, he's not even hitting lefties.  I think he'll be fine but--though I was initially as annoyed as BH-- I don't think there's any harm in easing him in.

Well, let me play the part of the dumb guy like always. Why not play Olt most days? This is how I sees it--Olt is essentially losing AB's to Barney, right? I think the better lineup would be to play Olt at third, and have this kind of triumvirate of evil in Bonerfacio, Ruggiano and Valbuena tackling CF/2B depending on the pitcher.

Against RHP, Bonerfacio at CF, Valbuena at 2B; against LHP, Bonerfacio at 2B and Ruggiano in CF. Or does that accomplish anything because Ruggiano is still kinda hurt and not that great? I don't know...obviously.

I think the idea is that, because Olt is overmatched against LHP, it might be a good idea to ease him into it for his own sake. It shouldn't be about "the better lineup" on any given day. It should be about a) what's best for the players' development and b) what's best in terms of setting up Oopstink to make trades towards more/stiffer futureboners.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 07, 2014, 11:16:30 AM

Agreed.  Right now, he's not even hitting lefties.  I think he'll be fine but--though I was initially as annoyed as BH-- I don't think there's any harm in easing him in.

I think the idea is that, because Olt is overmatched against LHP, it might be a good idea to ease him into it for his own sake. It shouldn't be about "the better lineup" on any given day. It should be about a) what's best for the players' development and b) what's best in terms of setting up Oopstink to make trades towards more/stiffer futureboners.

IAN - the last guy who wasn't focused on player development got fired.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 07, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

IAN - the last guy who wasn't focused on player development got fired.

Good job you added the picture, because I had no idea who you were talking about.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 11:28:52 AM »

I'm all for what's better for his development, but I kind of don't agree that sitting half the time is better for him. Is it totally out of this world to think that the more pitchers he sees the more he learns?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 07, 2014, 11:28:52 AM

I'm all for what's better for his development, but I kind of don't agree that sitting half the time is better for him. Is it totally out of this world to think that the more pitchers he sees the more he learns?

But if he's getting overmatched while his shoulder heals, what development is going to happen? There's no point in worrying about his growth bring stunted after 6 games. If we get to 60 games, it's a different matter.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 07, 2014, 11:28:52 AM

6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season. 6th game of the season.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.