News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica series  ( 42,068 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Battlestar Galactica series
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on January 21, 2009, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 21, 2009, 10:11:06 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 20, 2009, 11:41:01 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 20, 2009, 10:29:31 PM
And, also, Dee?!  NOOOOOOOOO!!!  She was hotter than the sun.  I miss her already.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2009/01/19/the-ad-placement-from-hell/

Edit: Just in case you didn't get the hint, the link contains spoilers.

Hmm.  I want to click it, but I don't want any spoilers.  I think I won't click it.

I want to talk more about how awesome that episode was.  The entire feel of the show completely changed in one hour.  Seeing "FRAK EARTH" scrawled on the wall was a great moment.

If you already saw that bitch shoot herself, you're fine.

Oh, thanks.  "I just want to celebrate another day of living."  Awesome.
Hire Jim Essian!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »
I haven't been watching this show nor following this thread.

Nevertheless, I'm fairly sure you all might could use a little dose of Dirk Benedict...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/dbenedict/2009/01/19/lt-starbuck--lost-in-castration/

QuoteOnce upon a time, in what used to be a far away land called Hollywood (but is now a state of mind and everywhere), a young actor was handed a script and asked to bring to life a character called Starbuck. I am that actor. The script was called "Battlestar Galactica."

Fortunately, I was young, my imagination fertile and adrenal glands strong, because bringing Starbuck to life was over the dead imaginations of a lot of Network Executives. Every character trait I struggled to give him was met with vigorous resistance. A charming womanizer? The "Suits" (Network Executives) hated it. A cigar (fumerello) smoker? The Suits hated it. A reluctant hero who found humor in the bleakest of situations? The Suits hated it. All this negative feedback convinced me I was on the right track.

Starbuck was meant to be a lovable rogue. It was best for the show, best for the character and the best that I could do. The Suits didn't think so. "One more cigar and he's fired," they told Glen Larson, the creator of the show. "We want Starbuck to appeal to the female audience for crying out loud." You see, the Suits knew women were turned off by men who smoked cigars, especially young men. How they "knew" this was never revealed. And they didn't stop there. "If Dirk doesn't quit playing every scene with a girl like he wants to get her in bed, he's fired." This was, well, it was blatant heterosexuality, treating women like "sex objects." I thought it was flirting. Never mind, they wouldn't have it. I wouldn't have it any other way, or rather Starbuck wouldn't. So we persevered, Starbuck and I. The show, as the saying goes, went on and the rest is history for, lo and behold, women from all over the world sent me boxes of cigars, phone numbers, dinner requests, and marriage proposals.

The Suits were not impressed. They would have their way, which is what Suits do best, and after one season of puffing and flirting and gambling, Starbuck, that loveable scoundrel, was indeed fired. Which is to say, "Battlestar Galactica" was cancelled. Starbuck, however, would not stay cancelled, but simply morphed into another flirting, cigar smoking, blatant heterosexual called Faceman. Another show, another set of Suits, and of course, if The "A-Team" movie rumors prove correct, another remake.

There was a time, I know I was there, when men were men, women were women and sometimes a cigar was just a good smoke. But 40 years of feminism have taken their toll. The war against masculinity has been won. Everything has turned into its opposite, so that what was once flirting and smoking is now sexual harassment and criminal. And everyone is more lonely and miserable as a result.

Witness the "re-imagined" "Battlestar Galactica," bleak, miserable, despairing, angry and confused. Which is to say, it reflects in microcosm the complete change in the politics and morality of today's world, as opposed to the world of yesterday. The world of Lorne Greene (Adama), Fred Astaire (Starbuck's Poppa) and Dirk Benedict (Starbuck). I would guess Lorne is glad he's in that Big Bonanza in the sky and well out of it. Starbuck, alas, has not been so lucky. He's not been left to pass quietly into that trivial world of cancelled TV characters.

"Re-imagining", they call it. "Un-imagining" is more accurate. To take what once was and twist it into what never was intended. So that a television show based on hope, spiritual faith and family is un-imagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and family dysfunction. To better reflect the times of ambiguous morality in which we live, one would assume. A show in which the aliens (Cylons) are justified in their desire to destroy human civilization, one would assume. Indeed, let us not say who the good guys are and who the bad are. That is being "judgmental," taking sides, and that kind of (simplistic) thinking went out with Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan and Kathryn Hepburn and John Wayne and, well, the original "Battlestar Galactica."

There's so much more.

I'm still searching for any point beyond: I'm a bitter, washed-up never-was who once starred in a Mormon-themed Star Wars knock-off that never make it past season one. Like all men, my balls have since been cut off by politically correct feminists and Harvard Business School Technocrats who won't allow artists to maintain their creative integrity by playing every role as a sex-crazed, cigar-smoking Lothario, forcing them instead to reflect a sense of moral complexity. Fuck... They went and gave my character tits! Hey, who wants to make me a baby?
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2009, 11:26:54 PM »
And we mustn't neglect this gem:

QuoteWomen are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Hamlet does not scan as Hamletta. Nor does Hans Solo as Hans Sally. Faceman is not the same as Facewoman. Nor does a Stardoe a Starbuck make. Men hand out cigars. Women "hand out" babies. And thus the world for thousands of years has gone' round.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »
Turns out Dirk once played Hamlet on Broadway...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5D9173CF931A1575AC0A961948260

QuoteTHE first casualty of the Musical Theater Works production of ''Hamlet'' at the Abbey Theater is language.

Only Claudius (Douglass Watson) seemed able to let the audience know he was at times speaking in verse. As for this Hamlet (played by Dirk Benedict, who may be well known to television audiences as Face in ''The A-Team''), he could not seem to get the stresses right. Given that disability, it seems cruel not to have simply cut out the Latin phrase hic et ubique from the ghost scene. At least someone might have told him the phrase is not French and that the last word is pronounced oo-bee-KWAY, not oo-BEEK.

The play is gutted of introspection, doubt and perplexity. Here Hamlet's question about being or not is a cynical joke, avenging Laertes is a mindless puppet, Ophelia's death is as impersonal as a car crash. Inevitably, the performance leaves one cold. All the action may be, as Horatio says, ''carnal, bloody and unnatural,'' and some of it is even spectacular, but it is as distant from one's own passions and thoughts as any ordinary prime-time thriller.

No word on Hamlet's inspired use of a gran corona in place of Yorick's skull.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:25 AM »
If he doesn't like it, maybe he should stop appearing on the "inferior" remake, since his character is probably the worst thing to happen to the new series.  This was rich:

QuoteSo that a television show based on hope, spiritual faith and family is un-imagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and family dysfunction.

The entire new series has been a struggle to keep hope and spiritual faith in the face of overwhelming odds.  They do it by relying on their literal and figurative families aboard the Galactica.  And where exactly is all the "sexual violence" in BSG?

What a cockface.  Katee Sackhoff is 100 times the Starbuck he ever was.
Hire Jim Essian!

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 22, 2009, 11:24:25 AM
If he doesn't like it, maybe he should stop appearing on the "inferior" remake, since his character is probably the worst thing to happen to the new series.  This was rich:

QuoteSo that a television show based on hope, spiritual faith and family is un-imagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and family dysfunction.

The entire new series has been a struggle to keep hope and spiritual faith in the face of overwhelming odds.  They do it by relying on their literal and figurative families aboard the Galactica.  And where exactly is all the "sexual violence" in BSG?

Did I miss something?  I thought it was Dick Hatch that was on the new one, not Face.

Sounds like it's time to get off the macrobiotic diet.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on January 22, 2009, 01:04:31 PM

Did I miss something?  I thought it was Dick Hatch that was on the new one, not Face.

Sounds like it's time to get off the macrobiotic diet.

Nope.  I missed something.  Missed something BIG TIME.  Okay, I hate him less now.
Hire Jim Essian!

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »

Sorry, Dirk Benedict sounds like a right-wing douchebag in his little rant, but he has more charisma in one of his fingernails than Sackhoff.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on January 26, 2009, 09:59:51 PM

Sorry, Dirk Benedict sounds like a right-wing douchebag in his little rant, but he has more charisma in one of his fingernails than Sackhoff.

I thought the dude who plays Tom Zarek was the original Starbuck.  (has never seen the original BSG)
Hire Jim Essian!

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on January 27, 2009, 10:09:40 AM

I thought the dude who plays Tom Zarek was the original Starbuck.  (has never seen the original BSG)

No, Zarek (Richard Hatch) was Apollo. For years, he tried to get the series remade without owning the rights. Ron Moore and Co., who managed to acquire the rights and sell the series to SciFi, sort of threw Hatch a bone by writing him in the script as Zarek. (Unlike Dirk Benedict, Hatch never really went on to do anything big like A-Team. And Benedict's character in A Team is basically how he played Starbuck.)

The original series was OK for its time. Unlike the current series, Starbuck and Apollo were basically action hero/fighter pilots and the main stars of the show. Lorne Greene as Adama was there to pretend that it was a weighty show - not just a cheesy Star Wars knockoff. There were some other semi-important characters and a couple cute gals but Starbuck and Apollo carried the show.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on January 27, 2009, 10:41:32 AM

No, Zarek (Richard Hatch) was Apollo. For years, he tried to get the series remade without owning the rights. Ron Moore and Co., who managed to acquire the rights and sell the series to SciFi, sort of threw Hatch a bone by writing him in the script as Zarek. (Unlike Dirk Benedict, Hatch never really went on to do anything big like A-Team. And Benedict's character in A Team is basically how he played Starbuck.)

The original series was OK for its time. Unlike the current series, Starbuck and Apollo were basically action hero/fighter pilots and the main stars of the show. Lorne Greene as Adama was there to pretend that it was a weighty show - not just a cheesy Star Wars knockoff. There were some other semi-important characters and a couple cute gals but Starbuck and Apollo carried the show.

Yeah, I realized my stupidity earlier in the thread.  At least, my stupidity on THIS point.
Hire Jim Essian!

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on January 27, 2009, 10:41:32 AM

The original was good because I was 7.  The Cylons and the robot dog were cool.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
When I mentioned above that the original Battlestar Galactica was Mormon-themed, by the way, I wasn't bullshitting...

http://www.michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html
http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/battlestar-mormonica.htm
http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/bgmormon.html
http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html
Glen A. Larson, the original producer, is a Mormon.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 27, 2009, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2009, 11:59:52 AM
When I mentioned above that the original Battlestar Galactica was Mormon-themed, by the way, I wasn't bullshitting...

http://www.michaellorenzen.com/galactica.html
http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/battlestar-mormonica.htm
http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/bgmormon.html
http://home.comcast.net/~billotto/Mormon_N_BSG.html
Glen A. Larson, the original producer, is a Mormon.

Thanks for the info, Chuck.

Also, did you know...

QuoteThe creator of Battlestar Galactica is television writer and producer Glen Larson. According to the 42nd edition of Who's Who in America, Larson has an impressive array of credits as a writer, editor, or producer of a long list of television shows including McCloud, The Virginian, Six Million Dollar Man, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and Magnum P.I. Also according to Who's Who in America, Glen Larson is a member of the Mormon Church. This makes the appearance of Mormon theology in Battlestar Galactica as a coincidence highly unlikely.

Also...

QuoteAccording to these articles, Glen A. Larson is member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and evidently chose Galactica (which was originally envisioned as Adam's Ark in the late 60's, around the time of Star Trek) to serve as a vehicle for expressing some Mormon beliefs.

And...

QuoteGlen Larson (creator and producer of Galactica) is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and many parallels between his church's and the show's mythologies can be found.

Not to mention...

QuoteNote: Glen A. Larson was a member of the Mormon Church and certainly was
more than aware that he was creating a parallel between the show and the church.