News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread  ( 44,250 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Systems of Football: The All-Purpose Bears Game Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 11, 2013, 01:23:34 PM
That's why I've kind of felt this year was more or less a punt.

Chicago Sports: Where Punting Happens

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
I thought that you could sign a person to a more cap friendly deal if you added some years and spread the damage rather than 14-16 MM against the cap with the franchise tag. And they need a lot of cap space to spare. That was my thought. And I thought Cutler would probably be open to such an arrangement. If this is wrong, I apologize.

But I thought that was what the Cowboys did with Romo. And everybody saw the total dollars on the contract and freaked out but upon inspection it was a good deal for both parties.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2013, 09:41:28 AM
I thought that you could sign a person to a more cap friendly deal if you added some years and spread the damage rather than 14-16 MM against the cap with the franchise tag. And they need a lot of cap space to spare. That was my thought. And I thought Cutler would probably be open to such an arrangement. If this is wrong, I apologize.

But I thought that was what the Cowboys did with Romo. And everybody saw the total dollars on the contract and freaked out but upon inspection it was a good deal for both parties.

$14-16 million against the cap?  I think it'd be near $19 million.

The franchise tag averages the top 5 salaries at the player's position, and last I checked QBs get paid somewhat handsomely.

But the question that I have is, assuming the Bears offered Cutler a middling-type offer (like 4 years, $60MM, $25MM bonus) and he decides to look elsewhere, what team is going to be crazy enough to throw $100 or $110MM at him?

Jacksonville?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 15, 2013, 10:59:29 AM

The franchise tag averages the top 5 salaries at the player's position, and last I checked QBs get paid somewhat handsomely.

But the question that I have is, assuming the Bears offered Cutler a middling-type offer (like 4 years, $60MM, $25MM bonus) and he decides to look elsewhere, what team is going to be crazy enough to throw $100 or $110MM at him?

Jacksonville?

Jacksonville's getting a top 2 pick in the draft, they're not taking Cutler over Teddy Bridgewater. 

No chance in hell. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 15, 2013, 11:03:20 AM

Jacksonville?

Jacksonville's getting a top 2 pick in the draft, they're not taking Cutler over Teddy Bridgewater. 

No chance in hell. 

I suppose Minnesota could make an offer, but I doubt they'd be able to offer more than the Bears.

Plus, why would he want to play for Minnesota?

I think it's going to be tough for Cutler, seeing as this is probably going to be his last big money contract, but the teams that could offer to fork up that money are not going to be the most desirable cities.

Would Arizona or Texas want Cutler?
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 15, 2013, 11:32:07 AM

Jacksonville?

No chance in hell. 

I suppose Minnesota could make an offer, but I doubt they'd be able to offer more than the Bears.

I think it's going to be tough for Cutler, seeing as this is probably going to be his last big money contract, but the teams that could offer to fork up that money are not going to be the most desirable cities.

Houston seems like the best fit. Where else could he go that has a decent team and doesn't have a young QB they've committed to? Arizona, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tennessee... meh.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
Quote from: Tony on November 15, 2013, 11:59:17 AM

Jacksonville?

No chance in hell. 

Houston seems like the best fit. Where else could he go that has a decent team and doesn't have a young QB they've committed to? Arizona, Cleveland, Minnesota, Tennessee... meh.

Ahem...

Actually, Arians and Cutler would be a pretty decent fit.

*Sits back and watches SKO's head explode.*
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »

$14-16 million against the cap?  I think it'd be near $19 million.

Jacksonville?

No chance in hell.  

Titans or Jacksonville (if they bite the bullet and move to LA) might be where he'd be open to going for less.

But if he gets  a 3 or 4 year deal for non-insulting money with the Bears, why not stay? He has a foundation of an O-line, finally. He'll have Brandon Marshall to throw to, not to mention Marty B. and Alshon Jeffrey. If Forte has a couple more good years in him, he'll be as set up to succeed here than anywhere else.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 15, 2013, 12:12:34 PM

$14-16 million against the cap?  I think it'd be near $19 million.

Jacksonville?

No chance in hell.  

Titans or Jacksonville (if they bite the bullet and move to LA) might be where he'd be open to going for less.

But if he gets  a 3 or 4 year deal for non-insulting money with the Bears, why not stay? He has a foundation of an O-line, finally. He'll have Brandon Marshall to throw to, not to mention Marty B. and Alshon Jeffrey. If Forte has a couple more good years in him, he'll be as set up to succeed here than anywhere else.

Not to turn away from the Cutler topic, but I sincerely doubt that LA will ever get another NFL team.

I think the situation of having LA sans NFL is more profitable to the current owners than if they had a team in place.  Without a team there, every owner who wants more public money for stadiums or something extra from a TV deal or whatever business arrangement can just threaten to move to LA, forcing the other side to cave.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM
Not to turn away from the Cutler topic, but I sincerely doubt that LA will ever get another NFL team.

Why does LA need an NFL team?  They have USC.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:41 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 15, 2013, 04:56:08 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM

Why does LA need an NFL team?  They have USC.

Neighborhood's too rough.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
Ed Curran just informed me that tornadoes are dangerous.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 17, 2013, 12:47:32 PM

The've delayed a football game. If that doesn't illustrate how dangerous tornadoes are, I don't know what would.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 17, 2013, 01:03:18 PM
Quote from: flannj on November 17, 2013, 12:47:32 PM

The've delayed a football game. If that doesn't illustrate how dangerous tornadoes are, I don't know what would.

He said that if you are in the path of a tornado you should get in a tub and put on a bike helmet to protect your head.
I'm picturing Huey yelling at his family to go find their own tub.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen