News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Inglorious Basterds  ( 17,384 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Inglorious Basterds
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
Just saw this last night.  It is definitely worth seeing.

As with Pulp Fiction, this is really a film of short stories.  It is two basic stories, one of the Basterds who go hunting Nazis, the other about a Jewish woman who owns a cinema in Paris that is frequented by Nazis.

I'm hesitant to talk about the plot, I don't want to give anything away, but the movie is full of action and tension.  There are some pretty dramatic moral slippery slopes (sure, they're killing Nazis, but holy shit is it brutal), which are always fun.

At the least, I can't imagine that someone couldn't find this film compelling.  At best, it's the best film of the year.

Go see it.  Just keep in mind, my Radiohead dick-chugging is only rivaled by my Tarantino dick-chugging.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Inglorious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 09:14:03 AM
Just saw this last night.  It is definitely worth seeing.

As with Pulp Fiction, this is really a film of short stories.  It is two basic stories, one of the Basterds who go hunting Nazis, the other about a Jewish woman who owns a cinema in Paris that is frequesnted by Nazis.

I'm hesitant to talk about the plot, I don't want to give anything away, but the movie is full of action and tension.  There are some prettyy dramatic moral slippery slopes (sure, they're killing Nazis, but holy shit is it brutal), which are always fun.

At the least, I can't imagine that someone couldn't find this film compelling.  At best, it's the best film of the year.

Go see it.

Don't type while baked.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
I saw it last Friday.  Tarantino needs an editor with the balls to stand up to Tarantino.  I enjoyed it, but I disagree with "full of action and tension."  There were some VERY slow parts.  I thought it was worth seeing, though.  Pitt is terrific.
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 10:54:18 AM
I saw it last Friday.  Tarantino needs an editor with the balls to stand up to Tarantino.  I enjoyed it, but I disagree with "full of action and tension."  There were some VERY slow parts.  I thought it was worth seeing, though.  Pitt is terrific.

I thought the parts that weren't just a bunch of shooting at least advanced the plot, and were therefore effective.  I guess I do see what you're saying; the scene with the "Bear Jew" was a bit drawn out, waiting for his entrance (I didn't give up any plot, don't worry).  Maybe I just chose to remember the awesome parts.

It's no Pulp Fiction, but that would be like comparing the American version of The Office to the British one.

The tension and suspense was evident from the first scene, and there were few scenes where I could relax before something else was happening or going wrong or whatever.  Could just be me though; I am known to be somewhat uptight.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 11:19:36 AM

I thought the parts that weren't just a bunch of shooting at least advanced the plot, and were therefore effective.  I guess I do see what you're saying; the scene with the "Bear Jew" was a bit drawn out, waiting for his entrance (I didn't give up any plot, don't worry).  Maybe I just chose to remember the awesome parts.

It's no Pulp Fiction, but that would be like comparing the American version of The Office to the British one.

The tension and suspense was evident from the first scene, and there were few scenes where I could relax before something else was happening or going wrong or whatever.  Could just be me though; I am known to be somewhat uptight.

I didn't mind the build on the Bear Jew part. I thought there could have been a lot less plot and a lot more Nazi killing, though.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

[potential thread derailment]
Am I wrong for liking the American Office better than the British? To be clear, I really like the British version; but if given the choice, I'd watch the American version.
[/potential thread derailment]

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
Quote from: Eli on August 27, 2009, 11:32:33 AM

Am I wrong for liking the American Office better than the British? To be clear, I really like the British version; but if given the choice, I'd watch the American version.

Yes.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »

Not at this point.  The American Office really went off and did its own thing after the first few episodes, which was a great decision.  I still prefer the British Office, but they're such different shows now, it's whatever floats your boat.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:30:46 AM

I didn't mind the build on the Bear Jew part. I thought there could have been a lot less plot and a lot more Nazi killing, though.

THI.

I agree, Oleg, that there weren't any pointless scenes.  I just felt that some of the scenes could have been a lot tighter.  I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the scene in the underground bar, though.  That was terrific.
Hire Jim Essian!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 27, 2009, 11:39:40 AM

THI.

I agree, Oleg, that there weren't any pointless scenes.  I just felt that some of the scenes could have been a lot tighter.  I wouldn't have changed a single thing about the scene in the underground bar, though.  That was terrific.

THA.

I loved the opening scene (even though it was long as hell), and the bar scene. They were perfect for me. Pretty much every other scene in the movie could have been tightened, especially the ones between Shoshanna and her would be beau.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

THI.

I like toast and I completely see your point about Daryle Ward.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »

[further thread derailment]
I recently re-watched all of season 3 and it entertained me as much, if not more, than it did the first time I saw. The American Office is probably one of my favorite shows ever. So many great characters.
[/further thread derailment]

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:44:43 AM

THI.

THA.

I loved the opening scene (even though it was long as hell), and the bar scene. They were perfect for me. Pretty much every other scene in the movie could have been tightened, especially the ones between Shoshanna and her would be beau.

Not a very good picture Tarantino paints of women in this, huh?

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 11:48:42 AM

THI.

THA.

Even the badass one gets all emotional (those who have seen the film will understand, the rest, go see the film).  The others are just dopes.

Yeah, but who cares what women think?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
Quote from: Jon on August 27, 2009, 11:58:11 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 27, 2009, 11:48:42 AM

THI.

THA.

Yeah, but who cares what women think?

BC?
Hire Jim Essian!