News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Derrek Lee Total Sploogefest Love-a-Thon Thread  ( 76,089 )

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Derrek Lee Total Sploogefest Love-a-Thon Thread
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on April 08, 2008, 10:02:21 AM
Back to D-Lee for a second.

He gets off to a hot start, then in one of his ABs Sunday, Len and Bob mention how he hadn't walked yet this season. Well, sure enough, he walks. Then I watch yesterday afternoon and he gets caught looking on some close pitches. It reminded me of the long stretches last season when he would get buzzed repeatedly on the outside corner, often taking called third strikes (and his numbers were a little "down" for him). One might theorize that D-Lee is better off being aggressive in the strike zone and not trying to coak walks or take chances on borderline outside-corner pitches.

Yes, I agree with this entirely.  If I've ever had a knock on DLee, it's that he takes a few too many pitches early in the count for a guy as skilled as he is with the bat.  It's not as if he's a dead-pull hitter (like Soriano) who has an entire 1/3 portion of the plate that he probably shouldn't consider swinging at on 0-0 or ahead in the count.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »

If we're sitting here worrying about the plate approach of a guy who currently sports a 1.288 OPS, we'd better win the damn pennant.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2008, 10:11:28 AM »

He gets off to a hot start, then in one of his ABs Sunday, Len and Bob mention how he hadn't walked yet this season. Well, sure enough, he walks. Then I watch yesterday afternoon and he gets caught looking on some close pitches. It reminded me of the long stretches last season when he would get buzzed repeatedly on the outside corner, often taking called third strikes (and his numbers were a little "down" for him). One might theorize that D-Lee is better off being aggressive in the strike zone and not trying to coak walks or take chances on borderline outside-corner pitches.

Like Mike D said, I think his wrist still bothered him last year, and he couldn't drive those outside pitches.  Given that, he was probably better off taking the close pitches instead of just dribbling them to the right side or rolling over them. 

If the pitchers keep going away from him, I think we'll see him adjust and start driving the ball the other way.  He's too smart not to do that.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure that a member of the 90's Braves wouldn't have expected to get the strike 3 call he was rung up on.  I mean, there's a close pitch, and there's 6 inches off the plate.

DLee has hit the ball to the opposite field well so far this year, at least from what I've seen.  I'm not worried about this trend.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
Quote from: EG on April 08, 2008, 10:11:28 AM

Like Mike D said, I think his wrist still bothered him last year, and he couldn't drive those outside pitches.  Given that, he was probably better off taking the close pitches instead of just dribbling them to the right side or rolling over them. 

If the pitchers keep going away from him, I think we'll see him adjust and start driving the ball the other way.  He's too smart not to do that.

Intrepid Reader: Chuck
No, he wasn't driving those pitches last year because he's Mark Grace now.

Uncouth Sloth

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »
Quote from: PTanner on April 08, 2008, 10:11:09 AM

If we're sitting here worrying about the plate approach of a guy who currently sports a 1.288 OPS, we'd better win the damn pennant.

Ain't that the point?  His approach in the tenth inning made me fuckin' puke, and yeah, we better win the damn pennant.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
Quote from: The Uncouth Sloth on April 08, 2008, 11:31:05 AM

Ain't that the point?  His approach in the tenth inning made me fuckin' puke, and yeah, we better win the damn pennant.

The point of what?

Uncouth Sloth

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »
Quote from: EG on April 08, 2008, 11:38:45 AM

The point of what?

The point of playing the games...to win the pennant.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2008, 12:06:04 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on April 08, 2008, 10:15:26 AM

I'm pretty sure that a member of the 90's Braves wouldn't have expected to get the strike 3 call he was rung up on.  I mean, there's a close pitch, and there's 6 inches off the plate.

DLee has hit the ball to the opposite field well so far this year, at least from what I've seen.  I'm not worried about this trend.

.330,  35 jimmies.  'Nuff said
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on April 08, 2008, 12:06:04 PM

Didn't we just spend 1908 posts on the difference between jimmies, jimmy hats, johnnies, jacks, and pauls?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Uncouth Sloth

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 08, 2008, 12:10:19 PM

Didn't we just spend 1908 posts on the difference between jimmies, jimmy hats, johnnies, jacks, and pauls?

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to,
You say jimmies, I say taters,
You say it was six inches outside, I say that it looked to me like he should have been swinging.

To-may-to, to-mah-to,
Jimmies, taters,
What he did yesterday, what he better do tomorrah
Let's call the whole thing off!

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
Quote from: The Uncouth Sloth on April 08, 2008, 11:41:04 AM
Quote from: EG on April 08, 2008, 11:38:45 AM

The point of what?

The point of playing the games...to win the pennant.

Aim higher Sloth. One higher.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
Quote from: The Uncouth Sloth on April 08, 2008, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: morpheus on April 08, 2008, 12:10:19 PM

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to,
You say jimmies, I say taters,
You say it was six inches outside, I say that it looked to me like he should have been swinging.

To-may-to, to-mah-to,
Jimmies, taters,
What he did yesterday, what he better do tomorrah
Let's call the whole thing off!

That's what she said?
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
My sophomore year of high school I was not that popular to start off. I was pretty much an asshole to anybody and everybody. Had a smart mouth and all that. I had a group of friends who were not well liked by the majority of the popular crowd because we were assholes and we liked to drink and smoke weed and punch people in their stupid fucking face.

On the cross country squad I was a bit of an outcast. The older kids didn't know me and the younger kids hated my guts.People clowned on me for hanging out with black kids, listening to rap and constantly using hip hop slang.

But this one night, at cross country camp... we saw this big as group of chicks from some other school having their cc camp in the same state park we were in. It occurred to me that we could easily wait until our coach passed out that night and sneak over to their camp to spy and maybe spot some titties or some bush or something. Oh, the wild ideas one gets when he's only 15 and tortured constantly by the horrors of masculinity.

So I pitched the idea to the team and some of the older guys were in. Some of the younger ones too. But a few of the rest were like hells to the no, we'll get caught and they'll call park patrol and blah blah blah. I called them pussies and a few more joined the party. Night fell and the coach hit the rack so off we went. Flashlights in hand, we hiked the trail over to where the chicks were camping. As we approached the campsite we killed the lights and snuck up close. The place was mostly dark but there was one tent still lit up and we could hear laughing girls inside. And a silhouette! We also saw a silhouette of a chick with big tits. She appeared to be clothed but we pointed and laughed and admired her form nonetheless. Then their light went off. So we bounced.

Disappointed we walked back to the camp. When we got there one of the kids who wouldn't join us was waiting outside the tent. He asked us what happened, had we seen any chicks. And I said quickly and without thinking, "Yeah, we straight up got our Jimmies waxed man, all of us." Hilarity ensued. I didn't think it was all that funny but these guys were in stitches. They laughed so hard they woke up the coach who ran out of his tent and demanded we all go back to bed. That night the older kids let me stay up in the big tent playing cards and shooting the shit. They realized the Pex wasn't so fuckin' bad.

That year was a big year for me and my pitiful band of ruffians. When it was over we had been kicked out of school, harrangued by the cops and had our Jimmies waxed enough times to start our own fledgling in crowd. An edgier, more raucous kind of in crowd. A bit like this one, in fact.

So what's the moral of this story? Shit if I know. But I do know that getting one's Jimmy waxed is a good thing. And sometimes your best laid plans to get laid may end in fail. But you learn something every time you strike out. Or something. And I'm a fuckin' prick who uses hip hop slang in everyday speech for effect or without even realizing it. 
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on April 08, 2008, 10:03:58 PM
My sophomore year of high school I was not that popular to start off. I was pretty much an asshole to anybody and everybody. Had a smart mouth and all that. I had a group of friends who were not well liked by the majority of the popular crowd because we were assholes and we liked to drink and smoke weed and punch people in their stupid fucking face.

On the cross country squad I was a bit of an outcast. The older kids didn't know me and the younger kids hated my guts.People made of me for hanging out with black kids, listening to rap and constantly using hip hop slang.

But this one night, at cross country camp... we saw this big as group of chicks from some other school having their cc camp in the same state park we were in. It occurred to me that we could easily wait until our coach passed out that night and sneak over to their camp to spy and maybe spot some titties or some bush or something. Oh, the wild ideas one gets when he's only 15 and tortured constantly by the horrors of masculinity.

So I pitched the idea to the team and some of the older guys were in. Some of the younger ones too. But a few of the rest were like hells to the no, we'll get caught and they'll call park patrol and blah blah blah. I called them pussies and a few more joined the party. Night fell and the coach hit the rack so off we went. Flashlights in hand, we hiked the trail over to where the chicks were camping. As we approached the campsite we killed the lights and snuck up close. The place was mostly dark but there was one tent still lit up and we could hear laughing girls inside. And a silhouette! We also saw a silhouette of a chick with big tits. She appeared to be clothed but we pointed and laughed and admired her form nonetheless. Then their light went off. So we bounced.

Disappointed we walked back to the camp. When we got there one of the kids who wouldn't join us was waiting outside the tent. He asked us what happened, had we seen any chicks. And I said quickly and without thinking, "Yeah, we straight up got our Jimmies waxed man, all of us." Hilarity ensued. I didn't think it was all that funny but these guys were in stitches. They laughed so hard they woke up the coach who ran out of his tent and demanded we all go back to bed. That night the older kids let me stay up in the big tent playing cards and shooting the shit. They realized the Pex wasn't so fuckin' bad.

That year was a big year for me and my pitiful band of ruffians. When it was over we had been kicked out of school, harrangued by the cops and had our Jimmies waxed enough times to start our own fledgling in crowd. An edgier, more raucous kind of in crowd. A bit like this one, in fact.

So what's the moral of this story? Shit if I know. But I do know that getting one's Jimmy waxed is a good thing. And sometimes your best laid plans to get laid may end in fail. But you learn something every time you strike out. Or something. And I'm a fuckin' prick who uses hip hop slang in everyday speech for effect or without even realizing it. 

I think the moral of this story is, I was right.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all