News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Crazy Uncle Milton's Shot Blasting Sploogefest Emporium  ( 138,686 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Crazy Uncle Milton's Shot Blasting Sploogefest Emporium
« Reply #630 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:24 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 01, 2009, 10:29:27 AM
Quote from: MB21 on August 31, 2009, 10:46:21 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on August 31, 2009, 01:11:53 AM
Quote from: MB21 on August 30, 2009, 08:51:09 PM
As far as cohesiveness goes, if there is a player on this team so affected by what Bradley is saying it's the affected player's problem and he must go.  Everybody deals with pricks.  If there's one person the Cubs who can't do that then they deserve to be fired. 

This is actually really simple and it's amazing people don't get it.

Who gives a shit what Milton Bradley says or does.  If you're a Cubs fans you don't care about that stuff.  if you're a Wrigley fan or a Cubs fan fan then you probably do care about these things.  Those people care about all sorts of nonsensical things that have nothing to do with the team that is playing in the park, but that's their choice.  If that kind of stuff matters then wins and losses aren't what these people care about.  I won't pretend to know what it is, but it sure as hell isn't how the team  does.  It's as simple as this:  Milton Bradley is good at baseball and good players are better than bad players.  There has never been and never will be a bad player who is better than a good player.  Good player always better than bad player. 

All I have to say is if you're one of these fans, fuck you.  You deserve the ineptitude this organization has provided you and you deserve many more years of it.  If the fans get what they want here, I'll be laughing my ass off at them as the Iowa Cubs take the field next year in Chicago.  While we're giving he fans what they want can we please trade Zambrano for a bag of balls like Phil Rogers suggested?  I look forward to the rotation of Dempster, Lilly, Wells, Samardzija and marshall in 2009.  Good times.

I love when people tell me whether I am or am not a Cubs fan.

It's not like I'm saying you have to love the Wrigley Experience or that you have to feel honored to be a fan.  I don't give a fuck about that.  Burn wrigley down for all I care.  In fact, I hope that's the first thing Ricketts does.  It would rid this team of some of the dumbest fucking sports fans on earth, which this organization desperately needs to do.

All I'm saying is something most would call common sense.  If you're a fan of a team you want them to have the best team they can.  Pretty simple.  This is true whether you're a fan of the Cubs, Yankees, Cardinals or US Men's Gymnastics team.  The only thing that fucking matters is wins. 

The people who think the Cubs will be better without Bradley and/or Zambrano either don't give a shit about wins or are brain-dead.  Either way, they're the same as Al Yellon and he's a fan of the brand and that's why he talks about it endlessly.  He's a fan of what he believes the Cubs are or should be. 

I'm not saying you're one of these people.  I hope you aren't, but I've learned to expect the least from Cubs fans.  99% of them are too dumb to count past 1.  I'm not telling you whether or not you're a fan.  That's for you to figure out.  I'm just saying what every rational person already knows.  And everybody knows that if you want worse players that you don't care about winning ballgames.  This isn't some made-up definition.  It's been around for a really long time.  I just think too many Cubs fans don't know what it means. 

I separate my opinion of Bradley and Zambrano as players from my opinion of them as douchebags, so, yes, I agree with you.

My only problem with this post is that the Cubs would be better without Bradley.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: September 01, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 01, 2009, 11:19:24 AM
My only problem with this post is that the Cubs would be better without Bradley.

How do you figure?

For starters: who plays RF?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: September 01, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: September 01, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 01, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

How do you figure?

I hate to go into "character" debates about ballplayers, since we largely don't know what happens inside the clubhouse.  However, my Milton hate has spiked in recent days due to his own public comments.  The vagueness of the racism accusations, the selfish narcissism, Lou's citation of this not being his best "chemistry" team (which I interpreted as a not so subtle comment on Milt), his selling out of his own teammates, and his all around craptacular play has really infuriated me.  Listening to Bernstein's rant last Thursday really resonated with me, and I really suggest getting the podcast from that episode; it was fantastic.

Granted, I really don't know who or what would take up his place in right, seeing as this team has relatively little room for acquisitions.  But I really believe he has to go.  Also, statistically, they probably would be better without Bradley, seeing as his presence has hardly been known this year.

Fuck, I'd take the VORP Donkey at this point.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: September 01, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 01, 2009, 11:35:58 AM
Also, statistically, they probably would be better without Bradley, seeing as his presence has hardly been known this year.

This:

Quote from: ChuckD on August 30, 2009, 06:57:47 AM
Actually, more along the lines of this.

http://www.anothercubsblog.net/index.php/site/comments/milton-bradley-is-my-underpaid-salesman/#1

Maybe a little bit of this too.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/bradley-taking-the-fall

And, again, the Cubs would be better off without Bradley when they replace him with whom? That is, that:

Granted, I really don't know who or what would take up his place in right, seeing as this team has relatively little room for acquisitions.

He's not a free agent until 2011.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: September 01, 2009, 11:59:39 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 01, 2009, 11:50:58 AM

I don't think the Nationals would be too picky at this point. Hoff POWER might be enough to get the VORP Donkey.

That being said, keep Dunn the fuck away from Wrigley Field.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

oog

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: September 01, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »

How do you figure?

I hate to go into "character" debates about ballplayers, since we largely don't know what happens inside the clubhouse.  However, my Milton hate has spiked in recent days due to his own public comments.  The vagueness of the racism accusations, the selfish narcissism, Lou's citation of this not being his best "chemistry" team (which I interpreted as a not so subtle comment on Milt), his selling out of his own teammates, and his all around craptacular play has really infuriated me.  Listening to Bernstein's rant last Thursday really resonated with me, and I really suggest getting the podcast from that episode; it was fantastic.

Granted, I really don't know who or what would take up his place in right, seeing as this team has relatively little room for acquisitions.  But I really believe he has to go.  Also, statistically, they probably would be better without Bradley, seeing as his presence has hardly been known this year.

You hate him more because you chose to interpret some vague thing Lou said about nobody in particular? You let your opinion be shaped by someone who's paid to babble loudly and incessantly regardless of fact or evidence?

His presence has hardly been known?
You'd allow VORP donkey to "field" in RF at Wrigley?

btw, I haven't seen any actual quotes about racism from Bradley's mouth. He referred to "hatred." The Tribune certainly threw race in there.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:26 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 01, 2009, 11:50:58 AM
Also, statistically, they probably would be better without Bradley, seeing as his presence has hardly been known this year.

This:

Quote from: ChuckD on August 30, 2009, 06:57:47 AM
Actually, more along the lines of this.

http://www.anothercubsblog.net/index.php/site/comments/milton-bradley-is-my-underpaid-salesman/#1

Maybe a little bit of this too.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/bradley-taking-the-fall

And, again, the Cubs would be better off without Bradley when they replace him with whom? That is, that:

Granted, I really don't know who or what would take up his place in right, seeing as this team has relatively little room for acquisitions.

I retract my claim of his statistical suckitude.  Also, it is entirely correct that there are really no viable replacements for him in RF.  However, that being said, his comments are beyond the pale and his wholesale indictment of Cubs fans really got my goat and I stand by my negative opinion and low regard of him professionally.

I think I'd be better able to stomach his antics if they were accompanied by the level of play that I saw last year.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: September 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
Quote from: oog on September 01, 2009, 12:06:24 PM

How do you figure?

You hate him more because you chose to interpret some vague thing Lou said about nobody in particular? You let your opinion be shaped by someone who's paid to babble loudly and incessantly regardless of fact or evidence?

btw, I haven't seen any actual quotes about racism from Bradley's mouth. He referred to "hatred." The Tribune certainly threw race in there.

I would have appreciated if one of the reporters actually asked Lou what he meant by that comment.  Also, anecdotally, who, amongst the Cubs' acquisitions this past year, would carry such baggage?  Kevin Gregg?  Aaron Miles?  Those guys sure do seem like cancers to me.

Quote"It's never comfortable.  It's hard to be comfortable when you don't get a hit and get booed every time. When I go home and look in the mirror, I like what I see. My family's there. I have people I can talk to who are very supportive in spite of everything and all the adversity and hatred you face on a daily basis. But I'll be all right. I always have."

The Trib threw race in there?  A black man throws the word hatred out and there is a good chance that he isn't referring to just getting booed.  Jacque did the same shit, ditto Latroy, ditto Dusty.  It's a cop out for the boos.  Also, why can't he substantiate the claim.  Why can't he give us an example?

He's probably not going anywhere anyway, so the debate is academic.  But he is an asshole of a baseball player.

One important caveat: I'm not ascribing any of his antics to the overall lack of production from Soriano, Soto, or any of the other players on the team.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: September 01, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.  Are we pretending that Milton's a good outfielder now?

Fuck that, I'll take the VORP Donkey 7 days a week over Milton.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM
I would have appreciated if one of the reporters actually asked Lou what he meant by that comment.  Also, anecdotally, who, amongst the Cubs' acquisitions this past year, would carry such baggage?  Kevin Gregg?  Aaron Miles?  Those guys sure do seem like cancers to me.

Quote"It's never comfortable.  It's hard to be comfortable when you don't get a hit and get booed every time. When I go home and look in the mirror, I like what I see. My family's there. I have people I can talk to who are very supportive in spite of everything and all the adversity and hatred you face on a daily basis. But I'll be all right. I always have."

The Trib threw race in there?  A black man throws the word hatred out and there is a good chance that he isn't referring to just getting booed.  Jacque did the same shit, ditto Latroy, ditto Dusty.  It's a cop out for the boos.  Also, why can't he substantiate the claim.  Why can't he give us an example?

He's probably not going anywhere anyway, so the debate is academic.  But he is an asshole of a baseball player.

One important caveat: I'm not ascribing any of his antics to the overall lack of production from Soriano, Soto, or any of the other players on the team.

What end does it serve to give specifics? Would it make you feel better to know that Bradley came out and said someone called him a "nigger" instead of simply implying it? Why does he need to get specific? You really think he hasn't been subjected to "hatred" at the hands of some Cubs fans. Please note the emphasis as you claim he painted you with a broad brush -- he didn't. It was certainly news to you that Milton has managed to make good on his contract. I'm willing to assume that some of the many unintelligent Cubs fans are still oblivious to the fact. Dave Kaplan certainly refuses to believe it, pointing out his HR/RBI numbers and Bradley's refusal to go tanning with him or something.

Why is he an asshole? He's been baited all year long because he has a reputation as a cancer and the Chicago media love to stir up controversy and sell papers. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Bradley takes the bait and lashes out, then he's a clubhouse cancer. If he doesn't and keeps his mouth shut, then he's an aloof quiet type who keeps to himself (read: not a "team player"). He can't win, yet you (who's a smart enough guy to "consider the source") buy into this bullshit. Milton and the Chicago press can't get along, so it's Milton's fault. Unbelievable.

Fuck it. Let's follow the mouthbreathing faithful's advice. Release Bradley, and go get Brian Giles or the like.  That'll be awesome.

oog

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM
Quote from: oog on September 01, 2009, 12:06:24 PM

How do you figure?

I would have appreciated if one of the reporters actually asked Lou what he meant by that comment.  Also, anecdotally, who, amongst the Cubs' acquisitions this past year, would carry such baggage?  Kevin Gregg?  Aaron Miles?  Those guys sure do seem like cancers to me.

Quote"It's never comfortable.  It's hard to be comfortable when you don't get a hit and get booed every time. When I go home and look in the mirror, I like what I see. My family's there. I have people I can talk to who are very supportive in spite of everything and all the adversity and hatred you face on a daily basis. But I'll be all right. I always have."

The Trib threw race in there?  A black man throws the word hatred out and there is a good chance that he isn't referring to just getting booed.  Jacque did the same shit, ditto Latroy, ditto Dusty.  It's a cop out for the boos.  Also, why can't he substantiate the claim.  Why can't he give us an example?

He's probably not going anywhere anyway, so the debate is academic.  But he is an asshole of a baseball player.

If you want to interpret his referring to boos and then hatred (to qualify the boos) as a black man playing the race card, fine. The Tribune headline "Milton Bradley's accusations of racism at Wrigley Field: Cubs fans say they haven't heard such taunts" would suggest you aren't alone. But anyone can say that being booed means being hated. Others have to impute meaning beyond that.

Hendry has said he wants players who want to be on the team. If Bradley asks to be traded, Hendry will probably try to trade him. Bradley's no saint, but this isn't some hobgoblin he conjured out of the aether.

If A is a clubhouse cancer, and B's performance is worse for it, you fire => B

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: September 01, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 01, 2009, 12:47:55 PM
Wait, wait, wait.  Are we pretending that Milton's a good outfielder now?

Fuck that, I'll take the VORP Donkey 7 days a week over Milton.

8 Errors, 2 Assists, .974 FP, and -21.4 UZR.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: September 01, 2009, 01:17:01 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 01, 2009, 12:56:07 PM
Why is he an asshole? He's been baited all year long because he has a reputation as a cancer and the Chicago media love to stir up controversy and sell papers. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Bradley takes the bait and lashes out, then he's a clubhouse cancer. If he doesn't and keeps his mouth shut, then he's an aloof quiet type who keeps to himself (read: not a "team player"). He can't win, yet you (who's a smart enough guy to "consider the source") buy into this bullshit. Milton and the Chicago press can't get along, so it's Milton's fault. Unbelievable.

THE DAMN LIBRUL MEDIA!

I think this is a bit of a cop out. 

Many members of the Chicago media have actually sat on Milton stories that the Cubs asked them to sit on (such as the story in May that, when asked how he felt after hitting .200 for the first month of the season, he responded "I feel like 30 million bucks.").  Its way too easy to blame a nebulous media for all that has gone wrong with this guy.  Remember, this is the guy who:

1.  Has said he doesn't have friends in the Cubs' clubhouse.
2.  Got called a "piece of shit" by his manager.  The manager also has said about him: "We pay this guy $30 million and its never his fault."
3.  Battled with fans.

I'm sure the media has blown the story up a bit, but to claim that the year Bradley has had off the field is anything but an unmitigated disaster and the fault lies mostly with him is being a little too Sarah Palin. 

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: September 01, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
While the idea of Adam Dunn patrolling right field scores high in the "potential for unintentional hilarity" category, that's probably not what Hendry's looking for in an outfielder.